The Student Room Group

Mechanics

Can someone explain how the answer is 7.5N I've attached the question and my workings.
Reply 1
Original post by Hollymae764
Can someone explain how the answer is 7.5N I've attached the question and my workings.

They're just using ,mass x acceleration.

I don't think there's anything subtle in the question :smile:

ETA: when they say "resultant force" they mean the sum of all forces acting, so there's no other calculation to be done!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by davros
They're just using ,mass x acceleration.

I don't think there's anything subtle in the question :smile:

So how do I know hen I need to use mass x acceleration and not Newton's First Law?
Ignore that :smile: Stupid question :biggrin:

So why do I not take into account the weight of the particle and the force of gravity?
Reply 4
So how do I know hen I need to use mass x acceleration and not Newton's First Law?

You're using Newton's Second Law

F = ma

where F is the resultant force and a is the acceleration.

There could be any number of individual forces that we don't know about (rocket motor, magnetism, tension etc) - the point is that we only want to know the resultant (i.e. total) force on the particle producing that final acceleration.
Reply 5
So why do I not take into account the weight of the particle and the force of gravity?

I know what you mean - but you're overthinking the question!

It's the same question as "a particle of mass m moves with acceleration a - what is the applied force on it?"
Original post by davros
You're using Newton's Second Law

F = ma

where F is the resultant force and a is the acceleration.

There could be any number of individual forces that we don't know about (rocket motor, magnetism, tension etc) - the point is that we only want to know the resultant (i.e. total) force on the particle producing that final acceleration.

Ah that makes sense now thank you
Reply 7
Ah that makes sense now thank you

no problem :smile: For a 1-mark question they're not going be asking anything too complicated!

Quick Reply

Latest