The Student Room Group

Studying abroad (Spain or Norway)

mm
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by luckyangel_.x
I still have a couple of years to go before I get to university, but recently I've been thinking about studying abroad. I was thinking about either going to Spain or Norway, as I am currently learning Spanish and Norwegian and I really enjoy learning about their culture. I've always wanted to travel, so I thought why not study and travel at the same time?I just had a few questions..

I know that living expenses are really high in Norway but there are no uni fees, so does it balance out? Also, what age do you have to be to get a part-time job in Norway? Do you have to have experience? Do you have to be fluent in Norwegian to get a job?

I don't know much about Spain in terms of fees, jobs, living cost etc. So could you tell me about that?

Would you recommend me staying in the UK or going abroad to study? Are the universities better abroad?

Thank you!

ok so norway idk except that im pretty sure most people speak english in norway.
im moving to spain for uni and it depends where u want to go. do u have a city in mind? barcelona and madrid are obviously more expensive then some other cities. if you are in a less touristy city eg valencia it is cheaper.
Original post by hello1242547
ok so norway idk except that im pretty sure most people speak english in norway.
im moving to spain for uni and it depends where u want to go. do u have a city in mind? barcelona and madrid are obviously more expensive then some other cities. if you are in a less touristy city eg valencia it is cheaper.

Yeah, I was thinking about University of Córdoba! Which university are you going to in Spain?
Yeah, I was thinking about University of Córdoba! Which university are you going to in Spain?

Hiiii I’m from Córdoba !!!! If you want my honest opinion , Córdoba is a small place . But too fun . You can do a lot . The weather in summer is too hot it could reach 40 or more degrees . And in winter it’s cold so the change in weather is huge . All people are outgoing , literally they are not going to care if you don’t speak Spanish they will help you ( not like some English people who didn’t help me but whatever ) also there’s a city near which is Malaga which has a beach it’s almost to 1:30 hours to go and it’s really nice . Also there’s another city which is Sevilla where you can go to the factory to buy clothes and it’s so big the shopping mall , if you want to go to the capital is 3 hours on car but you can do a lot . I’m from Spain as I said living in the uk . I’m in year 11 so when I go to university I would like to go to Norway not because Spain isn’t nice but because I know it already and because Norway is totally different. If you want to decide I think you should look at the universities and see what they offer and how the city is etc
Original post by Nathalieb280
Hiiii I’m from Córdoba !!!! If you want my honest opinion , Córdoba is a small place . But too fun . You can do a lot . The weather in summer is too hot it could reach 40 or more degrees . And in winter it’s cold so the change in weather is huge . All people are outgoing , literally they are not going to care if you don’t speak Spanish they will help you ( not like some English people who didn’t help me but whatever ) also there’s a city near which is Malaga which has a beach it’s almost to 1:30 hours to go and it’s really nice . Also there’s another city which is Sevilla where you can go to the factory to buy clothes and it’s so big the shopping mall , if you want to go to the capital is 3 hours on car but you can do a lot . I’m from Spain as I said living in the uk . I’m in year 11 so when I go to university I would like to go to Norway not because Spain isn’t nice but because I know it already and because Norway is totally different. If you want to decide I think you should look at the universities and see what they offer and how the city is etc

So sorry, I never saw this reply until now!

That’s awesomeeeee you’re from Córdoba!! You don’t understand how much I have wanted to visit places like Córdoba, Granada, Seville and Malaga in Spain! It sounds so exciting and I love spanish culture. There was exchange programme that I signed up for with my school in Cordoba, but it got cancelled because of covid. I have looked a lot into Córdoba and Granada these past couple of weeks and I definitely think I will go to one of these when studying at university. If I decide to do a phd, then I will definitely study in Norway. I have recently started to learn Norwegian and it’s so fun haha! I’ve always wanted to visit Norway because I feel as though Scandinavian countries are often forgotten and not talked about but they’re such beautiful places. Thanks for the advice!

That’s awesomeeeee you’re from Córdoba!! You don’t understand how much I have wanted to visit places like Córdoba, Granada, Seville and Malaga in Spain! It sounds so exciting and I love spanish culture. There was exchange programme that I signed up for with my school in Cordoba, but it got cancelled because of covid. I have looked a lot into Córdoba and Granada these past couple of weeks and I definitely think I will go to one of these when studying at university. If I decide to do a phd, then I will definitely study in Norway. I have recently started to learn Norwegian and it’s so fun haha! I’ve always wanted to visit Norway because I feel as though Scandinavian countries are often forgotten and not talked about but they’re such beautiful places. Thanks for the advice!

No wayyyyyy ! Like a week ago I started learning Norwegian too !!!! If God wills it I’ll be going one year to Oslo when I’m at university. Let’s hope there’s another virus 😂 seriously , if you have some questions about Spain , the climate , prices etc just tell me , I don’t mind answering them
Honestly totally up to you! Research thoroughly before making a decision though!

Also bare in mind that (depending on your course) some unis offer a placement year abroad! This could be something to look into as well? This way you can study primarily in the UK but also gain work experience and study from abroad.

Good luck🙂
Reply 7
Norway is pretty boring after a while, from a Norwegian. There are tons of fun and exciting things to do, but they aren't very explorable when you're studying as a Uni student. It's very expensive (don't underestimate living expenses) and the education quality, while pretty equal with European standards, is nothing special and most courses in most unis (exempt a few) have little reputation (which isn't always a concern for many tbf). There is also, only from personal experience, a fair share of discrimination from teachers and employers against non-white non-whitewashed students. I live in the UK right now, I have Norwegian citizenship and can apply any second and go to Uni for free, but I'm still choosing to stay here and pay a ridiculous £9.5k a year. Don't let this control your decisions though, I'm simply providing you with a viewpoint that you can consider alongside others. As to Spain, I have no clue.
Original post by Broque_
Norway is pretty boring after a while, from a Norwegian. There are tons of fun and exciting things to do, but they aren't very explorable when you're studying as a Uni student. It's very expensive (don't underestimate living expenses) and the education quality, while pretty equal with European standards, is nothing special and most courses in most unis (exempt a few) have little reputation (which isn't always a concern for many tbf). There is also, only from personal experience, a fair share of discrimination from teachers and employers against non-white non-whitewashed students. I live in the UK right now, I have Norwegian citizenship and can apply any second and go to Uni for free, but I'm still choosing to stay here and pay a ridiculous £9.5k a year. Don't let this control your decisions though, I'm simply providing you with a viewpoint that you can consider alongside others. As to Spain, I have no clue.

This helped a lot, thank you!

That is so strange haha I've also just started learning norwegian/spanish and I am very interested in studying abroad, probably in Spain for postgraduates. I'm not 100% sure yet. Just wondering if you would be doing a course in English while studying in Spain? I know from research that the majority of university courses are in Spanish, but I'm not very confident to speak it atm, never mind take a course entirely in Spanish.
Original post by jellyfish777
That is so strange haha I've also just started learning norwegian/spanish and I am very interested in studying abroad, probably in Spain for postgraduates. I'm not 100% sure yet. Just wondering if you would be doing a course in English while studying in Spain? I know from research that the majority of university courses are in Spanish, but I'm not very confident to speak it atm, never mind take a course entirely in Spanish.

I want to go into medicine and I know that in University of Córdoba, their website said they did do medicine courses in English for postgraduates. I think with medicine most universities in Spain do English courses, because it’s very common. What course are you planning to take?
I want to go into medicine and I know that in University of Córdoba, their website said they did do medicine courses in English for postgraduates. I think with medicine most universities in Spain do English courses, because it’s very common. What course are you planning to take?

Medicine, that's interesting. I had that in mind at the beginning of the year however I'm thinking of doing a course in either biochemistry or nutrition. Sorry if you've already mentioned but are you still in sixthform or have you completed your undergraduate degree? Good luck applying to a Spanish school , I hope you make it.

just so you know, postgraduate is mostly only once you've already done a bachelors degree, if you haven't gone to university yet you'll be doing an undergraduate degree :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
just so you know, postgraduate is mostly only once you've already done a bachelors degree, if you haven't gone to university yet you'll be doing an undergraduate degree :smile:

Yeahh I was planning to stay in the uk to do my undergraduates and then go to Spain for later study
(edited 3 years ago)
I know that living expenses are really high in Norway but there are no uni fees, so does it balance out? They are high but rent is often lower than in the UK, so the monthly cost is not that different to what you'd spend anywhere in southern England tbh. Of curse if you go to Oslo things will be more expensive, but not more so than London.

Also, what age do you have to be to get a part-time job in Norway? Do you have to have experience? Do you have to be fluent in Norwegian to get a job? You'll legally be able to work as a student (although that may change after in 6 months' time depending on what EU deal we get) but you almost certainly won't find a job unless you speak Norwegian.
I wan to study medicine in Norway but to meet the admission requirements I need to have Norwegian proficiency. I am willing to learn the language, however, I can’t do the Norwegian exams in my country as it isn’t available. Can I do online language courses that award a certificate? How can I meet this requirement?
Original post by Priyapinkrabbit
I wan to study medicine in Norway but to meet the admission requirements I need to have Norwegian proficiency. I am willing to learn the language, however, I can’t do the Norwegian exams in my country as it isn’t available. Can I do online language courses that award a certificate? How can I meet this requirement?

Hi! Medicine in Norway is extremely competitive and it’s very hard to get a spot there. I’m Norwegian, and we have this option to ‘redo’ classes or take them up at private after-school classes with an exam at the end. But I think it might be very difficult learning a whole new language for studying and it can also be a bit expensive. I would therefor not personally recommend going here to study medicine, but if it is something you really want to do and are willing to work hard for it is of course possible :smile: As for online language courses that awards a certificate; I don’t know of any, but if you are just starting to learn the language there’s probably some YouTube videos that are a good start :smile: Good luck!
I still have a couple of years to go before I get to university, but recently I've been thinking about studying abroad. I was thinking about either going to Spain or Norway, as I am currently learning Spanish and Norwegian and I really enjoy learning about their culture. I've always wanted to travel, so I thought why not study and travel at the same time?I just had a few questions..

I know that living expenses are really high in Norway but there are no uni fees, so does it balance out? Also, what age do you have to be to get a part-time job in Norway? Do you have to have experience? Do you have to be fluent in Norwegian to get a job?

I don't know much about Spain in terms of fees, jobs, living cost etc. So could you tell me about that?

Would you recommend me staying in the UK or going abroad to study? Are the universities better abroad?

Thank you!

As for the expenses it depends on other places you are looking at. Although uni is free in Norway everything is very expensive here, and if you want to study in Oslo the rent will probably also cost quite a bit. Part-time jobs you can usually get at 18+, but it is also most often a requirement to speak Norwegian fluently. Although some parts of Norway is very beautiful I think there might be other countries that are better for studying abroad. Maybe try going on holidays if possible to the places you are considering and research/ see how you like it? Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending