The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster clubs and societies law

Hey so i just wana know can you participate in more than one club/society? Also, which are the best clubs/societies for law students? Which ones are the most popular?
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so i just wana know can you participate in more than one club/society?

You can participate in as many clubs or societies as you'd like, you'll just have to make sure you have the time.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AM.TSR
You can participate in as many clubs or societies as you'd like, you'll just have to make sure you have the time.

Really? Yay!
Hello. Lancaster Law graduate here. I would recommend joining the Law Society for lots of legal experiences including mooting and networking. But also take part in any clubs that interest you e.g. sports, charities etc. There's usually a freshers fair (although may be virtual this year) and the Student Union site lists all clubs/societies and when they meet. Enjoy
Hey so i just wana know can you participate in more than one club/society? Also, which are the best clubs/societies for law students? Which ones are the most popular?
Thanks

Hi Anonymous,

You can definitely participate in more than one society! The Freshers Fair will give you the opportunity to have a look at all the different societies available, which can also be found here: https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups

As others have said, it will just depend on your own timetable - as some might clash - and what you have time for. Generally, students may join 1-3 societies. Again, it is also worth considering membership fees and costs, as some societies may be more expensive than others.

The Law Society is a really good option for Law students. You can find out more information here. Also, you can always chat to current law students on UniBuddy to find out which clubs and societies they joined.

I'm personally a member of my college netball club and the music society. From my experience, the college sports teams are really popular, if that's something you're interested in! I also trialled some other societies in the first few weeks, but found that they didn't match with my timetable, so was unable to join those.

Remember, you can always join new societies in later years as well - so it doesn't have to all be done at once!

If you have any questions about life at Lancaster, I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Anonymous,

You can definitely participate in more than one society! The Freshers Fair will give you the opportunity to have a look at all the different societies available, which can also be found here: https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups

As others have said, it will just depend on your own timetable - as some might clash - and what you have time for. Generally, students may join 1-3 societies. Again, it is also worth considering membership fees and costs, as some societies may be more expensive than others.

The Law Society is a really good option for Law students. You can find out more information here. Also, you can always chat to current law students on UniBuddy to find out which clubs and societies they joined.

I'm personally a member of my college netball club and the music society. From my experience, the college sports teams are really popular, if that's something you're interested in! I also trialled some other societies in the first few weeks, but found that they didn't match with my timetable, so was unable to join those.

Remember, you can always join new societies in later years as well - so it doesn't have to all be done at once!

If you have any questions about life at Lancaster, I'd be happy to help!

Hi Maria!

Thanks for that information! I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering.

When or where will we need to apply for the clubs/societies? Also, is the Student's union a club/society?
Reply 6
Original post by HelenaSorrows
Hello. Lancaster Law graduate here. I would recommend joining the Law Society for lots of legal experiences including mooting and networking. But also take part in any clubs that interest you e.g. sports, charities etc. There's usually a freshers fair (although may be virtual this year) and the Student Union site lists all clubs/societies and when they meet. Enjoy

Thank you!
Hi Maria!

Thanks for that information! I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering.

When or where will we need to apply for the clubs/societies? Also, is the Student's union a club/society?

Hi Anonymous,

You can join clubs and societies at any point during your time at university. Generally, you'll have the Freshers Fair in the first week, where you can get all your information - and then for a few weeks, the societies tend to have some taster sessions and classes. If you decide to join, you just keep going regularly and the society itself will let you know when membership fees are due (but this depends on the individual society).

There's also a 'Refresher' week in the second term of first year, which gives you the opportunity to have another look at all the societies - so you may find other things here, as well.

The Students' Union isn't a club/society, but rather an organisation, where every student automatically becomes a member. The elected Full-time and part-time officers will be in charge of overseeing and organising the clubs and societies, events, as well as representing the students with issues and changes concerning the university and academic study itself. They also provide services like the Sugarhouse, the nightclub in town and Central, an on-campus supermarket. You can find out more about them on their website, here.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Anonymous,

You can join clubs and societies at any point during your time at university. Generally, you'll have the Freshers Fair in the first week, where you can get all your information - and then for a few weeks, the societies tend to have some taster sessions and classes. If you decide to join, you just keep going regularly and the society itself will let you know when membership fees are due (but this depends on the individual society).

There's also a 'Refresher' week in the second term of first year, which gives you the opportunity to have another look at all the societies - so you may find other things here, as well.

The Students' Union isn't a club/society, but rather an organisation, where every student automatically becomes a member. The elected Full-time and part-time officers will be in charge of overseeing and organising the clubs and societies, events, as well as representing the students with issues and changes concerning the university and academic study itself. They also provide services like the Sugarhouse, the nightclub in town and Central, an on-campus supermarket. You can find out more about them on their website, here.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

Thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending