The Student Room Group

iPad for note taking ?

I’m starting uni in September, studying dental therapy and hygiene. I need to get a new MacBook, and was wondering if it’s worth getting an iPad too? I like the handwritten notes feature you can do with the Apple Pencil. Does anyone use an iPad ? What are your thoughts?

Original post by rma98
I’m starting uni in September, studying dental therapy and hygiene. I need to get a new MacBook, and was wondering if it’s worth getting an iPad too? I like the handwritten notes feature you can do with the Apple Pencil. Does anyone use an iPad ? What are your thoughts?

I make my revision notes with an iPad for school. I use goodnotes and its the most amazing thing that has happened to me. I have the freedom to rub out my notes, to move them around etc etc. You can edit PDF on them. With notability you have a feature where you can record audio and it will record your handwriting in the same moment so you can go back and listen to why you wrote a specific thing. I honestly would say, if you have the money go for it. It makes life so much easier and efficient and you don't have to carry as much paper too. On goodnotes you can also search for words you have written on that notebook.
Reply 2
Thanks! So goodnotes is an app? Is it better than the standard Apple notes app? Are there any other apps you recommend for study?
I’ve always made detailed paper notes, do you make any physical notes anymore or al digital? What about flashcards?

Sorry for all the questions 😂 thanks for your help!
Original post by rma98
Thanks! So goodnotes is an app? Is it better than the standard Apple notes app? Are there any other apps you recommend for study?
I’ve always made detailed paper notes, do you make any physical notes anymore or al digital? What about flashcards?

Sorry for all the questions 😂 thanks for your help!

No no, don't worry! I am more than happy to answer your questions. I personally make all of my detailed notes on goodnotes because I usually have info from different sources so it helps to move stuff around and to organise. Goodnotes and Notability are the two main apps for note taking. I would recommend you watch some videos on YouTube. For more organised and detailed reading notes/ PDF edits I would go with Goodnotes but for recording lectures etc I would go for Notability, so maybe go for both? They both cost but not a whole lot. They are worth it and with the standard apple notes you can't do a whole lot. I do make physical notes but they are simplified versions of my detailed notes that I do on my iPad.

Let me know if you have anymore questions :]
Reply 4
If you think it will work for you, go for it.
Reply 5
Thanks! Are they single time payment or subscription apps? Also how do you record lectures on it? And what’s the point of pdf editing, do you mean pdfs thay are provided by the school as learning material? Thanks again :smile:
They are a single time payment yes! I’m not sure how you do it but it’s one thing I learnt from researching between the two apps. Like I said you should do more research because there are plenty of videos on YouTube telling you the differences but I can’t tell you which would suit you the best. And many people would want to pdf Edit, for example doing questions etc that school give you
Reply 7
Thank you! Yes I’ll look at YouTube for sure ♥️
Sorry to butt into the conversation, but which iPad would you reccomend merely for students and note taking? I really like the look and tricks of the pro, but understandably do not like the price 😂
Reply 9
Hey! I did my research and have since bought myself an air. So far, I love it! I’ve been using it for some work related notes and it’s really good. I would recommend like the other person said, to look at YouTube. I came across a really good video by Ali Abdaal where he compares all the different iPads and says who he would recommend them for and his verdict was that the Air is best for students as it’s pretty much the same as the pro but less powerful (do you need the power as a student? Unlikely unless you’re doing a very technical course or music / video stuff) but also air has a slightly smaller screen. My only reason for getting a pro would be the larger screen but I don’t think the price justifies it; the air is just as good for note taking at a much better price. But yeah, as far as I can tell the air and pro are identical for note taking except the pro can come in a bigger screen. In the video, Ai also says the budget iPad is a good student option too.

Sorry for this long winded response 😂
Original post by rma98
Hey! I did my research and have since bought myself an air. So far, I love it! I’ve been using it for some work related notes and it’s really good. I would recommend like the other person said, to look at YouTube. I came across a really good video by Ali Abdaal where he compares all the different iPads and says who he would recommend them for and his verdict was that the Air is best for students as it’s pretty much the same as the pro but less powerful (do you need the power as a student? Unlikely unless you’re doing a very technical course or music / video stuff) but also air has a slightly smaller screen. My only reason for getting a pro would be the larger screen but I don’t think the price justifies it; the air is just as good for note taking at a much better price. But yeah, as far as I can tell the air and pro are identical for note taking except the pro can come in a bigger screen. In the video, Ai also says the budget iPad is a good student option too.

Sorry for this long winded response 😂

I've seen that video too!! 😂

Did you stick to the 64gb or upgrade it?
Also, is the fact that the pencil charges in a really stupid way annoying?
Reply 12
I stuck with 64gb. I never really understood what an iPad was for before now so I’m confident I’ll only use it for notes, no videos etc so that will be more than enough for me. Plus I think the notes are on the cloud anyway ! Feel free to dm me if you want :smile:
Reply 13
Honestly the pencil charges so fast, within 15 mins so it’s a bit weird I guess but it’s not for long.
a pen would do it.
Guys sorry if I’m late to this ahaha
But was thinking of getting iPad for sixth form next year
Just have a few questions
1. Is it helpful to make notes via iPad?
2. What apps did you like?
3. Which iPad is suitable? I don’t want something like iPad Pro because the price is horrifying 😂 was thinking maybe 8th gen? It’s about £319...
Original post by alevels21
Guys sorry if I’m late to this ahaha
But was thinking of getting iPad for sixth form next year
Just have a few questions
1. Is it helpful to make notes via iPad?
2. What apps did you like?
3. Which iPad is suitable? I don’t want something like iPad Pro because the price is horrifying 😂 was thinking maybe 8th gen? It’s about £319...

1. Yes, it can be. I don't think anything beats the feeling of pen and paper, but it's not so bad and I'd say the convenience of having all your notes in one area is more beneficial. No carrying around folders full of notes. That being said, the initial cost of it all would probably deter me for sixth form. I'm only making the transition to digital notes as everyone going into medicine says it's worth it. (And I already had an iPad, perks of being a mature student who's had a job!)

2. I really like Notability. Can't really compare and contrast as I haven't used anything else, but I can do everything I want on this app, including voice recordings, and it was £8.99 I think.

3. I'm sure any iPad that works with the Apple pencil will be fine. I personally like the pro because I wouldn't want to write on anything smaller than the 12.9 inch screen, and it also replaced my laptop entirely. You certainly can make do, but if you're using split screen during note taking it would probably get very cramped on a smaller screen. But again, price would be a much bigger factor at a younger age, so any will do! Consider second-hand too, a lot of people upgrade annually for no reason so you should find something!
You can use the ipad as a second screen too when you are working on your mac. Very useful to cross reference stuff, or use one screen for work and the other for messaging etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending