The Student Room Group

I'm So Sad Rn :(

In a few minutes I'm about to take my Year 10 film studies exam but, just now I've received my English Literature exam results... I got a grade 3 :frown:.... I'm literally so sad, I put SO MUCH effort into trying to improve this grade and into revision and into the actual exam but all I can manage to do is drop from Grade 4 to 3... I don't get what I'm doing wrong, my teachers feedback is ALWAYS the same... talk more about metaphors and similies. I listen to the feedback and I try to improve that but its ALWAYS the same. I know Year 10 exams don't matter much but, It's just the feeling that I put in all that effort to drop a grade. I really dislike my teacher and I don't think I can cope having them in Year 11, so I might have to change teachers... My mum pays so much for this education and all I can do is fail :frown: Does anyone know what I can do to improve? I've studied english Literature my whole life and I get Grade 3's whereas I've studied topics like Psychology for half a year and I've learnt so much and I'm already in the grade range of 7-9.... I don't want to blame my teacher but I really feel like they're not very good at their job :/

Oh well, rant over lol. I'm about to go do my film studies exam.
do u go to a private school? and just change teacher eng lit is so subjective anyway. and plus your teacher wont grade ur actual gcses
Original post by pon1de2replay3
do u go to a private school? and just change teacher eng lit is so subjective anyway. and plus your teacher wont grade ur actual gcses

I do online school but my mum has to pay for me to attend.
Watch Mrbruff
I went from a 3 in English lit and lang to a 7 and a 6 in 2 months or so because of him
Original post by safiemona
Watch Mrbruff
I went from a 3 in English lit and lang to a 7 and a 6 in 2 months or so because of him

Thankyou! :smile: I think I'm going to throw all my revision cards away and just start fresh so I can be more organised and hopefully take new tips.
I got a 4 in January mocks in my English lit, and through tough thorough revision, I somehow got a 9 in the end exam. (Fairly certain they marked the wrong exam, but I'm not complaining)
Try making note of certain themes in different works, and pick a few key quotes for each theme. I found that that helped me a lot, because I needed to know a lot less, but with some simple modifications for each question, they were very adaptable. Also, the Shakespeare is best watched, get a film or something to give you best context for the play.
Reply 6
Original post by Kakakaty
Thankyou! :smile: I think I'm going to throw all my revision cards away and just start fresh so I can be more organised and hopefully take new tips.

NO DONT DO THAT!!! Keep them!!! They are important!! What books or poems are you doing? I am the current year 11 group but as I cannot sit the exam I’m happy to share all my notes and ideas with you if you do the same as me. Like a lil tutor buddy but on PMs 😂😂
I got only 4s in the first half and managed to get up to one off an 8 in my mock 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
NO DONT DO THAT!!! Keep them!!! They are important!! What books or poems are you doing? I am the current year 11 group but as I cannot sit the exam I’m happy to share all my notes and ideas with you if you do the same as me. Like a lil tutor buddy but on PMs 😂😂

My revision notes are so messed up and I feel really un organised with them D; I'm currently doing OMAM (Of Mice and Men) and as for poems there's quite a few, I have an anthology with them all in.
Original post by chocolate_fan
I got a 4 in January mocks in my English lit, and through tough thorough revision, I somehow got a 9 in the end exam. (Fairly certain they marked the wrong exam, but I'm not complaining)
Try making note of certain themes in different works, and pick a few key quotes for each theme. I found that that helped me a lot, because I needed to know a lot less, but with some simple modifications for each question, they were very adaptable. Also, the Shakespeare is best watched, get a film or something to give you best context for the play.

Thankyou so much! :biggrin:
Reply 9
It is okay, you will improve, hating on your teachers will just make you loathe the subjects further try to have a positive mindset, of you are doing this for yourself and you will do well :wink:
I highly recommend watching the following Youtube channels to help you improve:
•Mrbruff
•Miss hannah loves grammer
•BPC English
•Mrs whelan's English
You could also make certain terminology flashcards and keep on memorising examples to get it drilled into your head
Past paper questionns! ! Best help available - practice as much as you can. If your teachers are not giving adequate feedback in order for you to improve upload your work on here I are pretty sure someone will be willing to mark it and give u feedback :smile:
Lastly remember it is not the end of the world, you will improve it takes time but you will eventually just have hope. (Also a fellow year 10 student x)
I hope this somewhat helps x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kakakaty
My revision notes are so messed up and I feel really un organised with them D; I'm currently doing OMAM (Of Mice and Men) and as for poems there's quite a few, I have an anthology with them all in.

Is that your chosen book for lit? What’s the others? :smile:
I did OMAM and had exactly the same experience :redface:
And you can always ask someone on tsr to look at your work in English lit and see if they have any tips. We have lots study help peeps here.

Quick Reply

Latest