The Student Room Group

How do I pursue a career in clinical physiology?

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice. I have graduated last year from Physiological Sciences but straight away went into working in pharmaceuticals. Although the pay was good in pharmaceuticals, I became more aware my interest lies in the medical field. So I ask, what steps should I take to pursue a career in clinical physiology? So far I have a Bsc Hons in Physiological Sciences.
Would really appreciate some advice, and thank you for your time!
Original post by Benjerrys11
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice. I have graduated last year from Physiological Sciences but straight away went into working in pharmaceuticals. Although the pay was good in pharmaceuticals, I became more aware my interest lies in the medical field. So I ask, what steps should I take to pursue a career in clinical physiology? So far I have a Bsc Hons in Physiological Sciences.
Would really appreciate some advice, and thank you for your time!

How did u manage to get a job in pharmaceuticals if you studied physiological sciences ? What uni did you get your degree at .
I’m interested in the same thing
Reply 2
Original post by Sophia252
How did u manage to get a job in pharmaceuticals if you studied physiological sciences ? What uni did you get your degree at .
I’m interested in the same thing

Pharmaceuticals employ from a variety of backgrounds, some without even university degrees but I guess those are special cases. I was told pharmaceuticals look for medical science graduates to help boost their Quality assurance team, it might have helped that the company I applied to was a small pharma company despite being owned by Cohens.
Maybe I got lucky, but I would say that smaller pharma companies constantly look for new staff as people move on to bigger pharma companies once they gain the experience.

Ah almost forgot to answer ur question, I graduated from Newcastle Uni.
Original post by Benjerrys11
Pharmaceuticals employ from a variety of backgrounds, some without even university degrees but I guess those are special cases. I was told pharmaceuticals look for medical science graduates to help boost their Quality assurance team, it might have helped that the company I applied to was a small pharma company despite being owned by Cohens.
Maybe I got lucky, but I would say that smaller pharma companies constantly look for new staff as people move on to bigger pharma companies once they gain the experience.

Ah almost forgot to answer ur question, I graduated from Newcastle Uni.

Oh that’s really interesting, I’m looking to go to Newcastle for a similar course . I’d you don’t mind me asking what was your entry grades like?
Reply 4
Original post by Sophia252
Oh that’s really interesting, I’m looking to go to Newcastle for a similar course . I’d you don’t mind me asking what was your entry grades like?

I was a mature student so I did an access to medicine, pharmacy, biomedical sciences course at college. In that I scored 36/45 Distinctions, and the rest merits from what I remember.

Newcastle is a fantastic university and the lecturers at the medical school are superb, really really helpful. I would say it's the best student city, but university as a whole is a great experience for many regardless of their location.

Think carefully about the type of career you would like to pursue, I would say volunteer in the field you're interested in to get an idea whether that field is where you want to be at for the rest of your life. If it's in the medical field then do make the most out of the free workshops hosted by the university (that's one big regret of mine), if it's in pharmaceuticals then being a pharmacist goes a long way.

Also, one more thing. Newcastle allows medical science students by the end of first year to switch courses. Whether they would like to switch to other medical sciences or remain in their course (e.g if you're a biomedical science student, you can switch to biochemistry, genetic, pharmacology, or physiological sciences). You can even switch to Medicine if you score over 75% in each module (which looking back, isn't as hard as it seems). So if you want to study Medicine, give the ukcat a good go on the year you enrol at Newcastle Uni and make the most out of your first year. It would save you ALOT of money and you've got nothing to lose because you can still enjoy your freshers as a medical student ;-).

Latest

Trending

Trending