The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

is Brixton safe to live in?

I'm an international student and I've been thinking of living in Brixton for my 3rd year as it is closer to campus, but I am a bit scared because I am a female and I've heard it is not very safe at night. I often study in the library/go out till late. But I've also heard that it's gotten safer recently so I am not sure if I should rent a place there. I was wondering if I can get an input from someone who has lived there
Brixton is perfectly fine to be in. I've been there à few times, nighttime included, and my brother lives there.
Really, it's fine. If anything it may be good for you if you're looking to stay out till late as Brixton has a decent night life / scene, so you won't be travelling a lot to get back home.

I don't particularly like Peckham though, seems like it's still got a fair amount of crime there. Also avoid east London - I've had a lot of stuff happen to me there.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Tredoltle
Brixton is perfectly fine to be in. I've been there à few times, nighttime included, and my brother lives there.
Really, it's fine. If anything it may be good for you if you're looking to stay out till late as Brixton has a decent night life / scene, so you won't be travelling a lot to get back home.

I don't particularly like Peckham though, seems like it's still got a fair amount of crime there. Also avoid east London - I've had a lot of stuff happen to me there.

thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an international student and I've been thinking of living in Brixton for my 3rd year as it is closer to campus, but I am a bit scared because I am a female and I've heard it is not very safe at night. I often study in the library/go out till late. But I've also heard that it's gotten safer recently so I am not sure if I should rent a place there. I was wondering if I can get an input from someone who has lived there

I live in Brixton and yes, it's a lot safer than it was, but obviously not safest place in London.

Also, bear in mind two people were recently killed on Brixton Hill - so be careful when crossing especially at night as it's a dangerous road.
Reply 4
I live in Brixton and yes, it's a lot safer than it was, but obviously not safest place in London.

Also, bear in mind two people were recently killed on Brixton Hill - so be careful when crossing especially at night as it's a dangerous road.

thank you so much for letting me know.
this might sound like a dumb question but what areas in London are considered safe? I've pretty much been told that this is not the safest place wherever i went :/
thank you so much for letting me know.
this might sound like a dumb question but what areas in London are considered safe? I've pretty much been told that this is not the safest place wherever i went :/

That's because you tend to pay more for safer areas (poverty breeds crime and disillusionment). Generally speaking, South of Central London isn't that safe. Lewisham for instance is the knife crime capital of Europe. That violence bleeds into surrounding areas. Your best bet is to find somewhere North of the river, or further West. If you post a few locations I'm happy to give feedback!

A lot of London is juxtaposed, so you'll have bad and good next door to each other that don't really intermix.

(Ex-cop and born Londoner).

it has been gentrified so it is now safer than any city in the US but still less safe than anywhere else in the UK. the place is rough around the edges but nothing bad is likely to happen as long as you don't leave your bike unchained etc.
Reply 7
I live in London, I've lived here for a long time.

I think that people who don't live near Brixton base their opinions on things they were once told or that someone remembered from the 1980s, it's as safe as most areas of London now, in my view.

I would advise women not to take short cuts through unlit areas, but I would say that about any area in London.

You say that Brixton is near your campus and I think that there are advantages to having somewhere close to where you are studying. I don't know what time of day you would be finishing, but there is something really nice, especially in the winter, about your daily journey being less than 30 minutes door to door. If you had somewhere to live near a bus stop, that would be brilliant.

There are actually quite a few students living in Brixton, I once met five medical students all sharing a house there.

I read the Evening Standard every day and do you know which place seems to be the most dangerous based on what I read in the paper?

Kensington and Chelsea.

Yes, it's where some of the wealthiest people in London live, but this has attracted a particular kind of crime. I seem to read on a regular basis about people having watches and other jewellery snatched. Phones get taken as well. My friend was walking along the street talking to his wife on the phone and the next moment it had gone, grabbed by a couple of young guys on a motorbike.

I would look for something in Brixton, but choose carefully, pick somewhere near a bus stop and the main road.

This would probably be the safer option as you are home sooner.

To be honest, it's in Central London where I feel less safe nowadays, I'm never sure what's about to happen.
(edited 3 years ago)
Lol ignore the two above - they're talking unmitigated drivel.
Yes Brixton is perfectly okay. I remember walking through Carlharbour Lane estate years ago, and it was rough. But now it looks rather safe and renovated. Plus Brixton is gentrified now, it's not the same Brixton of the early 2000.

Brixton is among the bottom of London neighbourhoods in terms of safety records. Below is our safety score for the area aroundBrixton station. It is scored at 6, which is ranking based and the best performing neighbourhood in England scored at 100.
Reply 11
Regarding the riots last night when the police try to stop a street party, could the cops have been a bit more pragmatic like they were Bristol when the statue was being removed,? Or should the party people have made their way to the nearest park out of consideration for local residents and their children?
You don't get many of these really hot nights and under the circumstances some people wanted to let off steam.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
The people who are telling you that Brixton is safe clearly aren't from London or simply aren't aware of what goes on. Brixton is home to plenty of gangs (67, LTH, 28s, 410, Siraq to name a few) although they are unlikely to bother you if you aren't involved in that lifestyle robberies and mistaken identity attacks are common in London. Truthfully, most of South, South West and South East London aren't safe places due to the current nature of London at its gang and knife crime epidemic. I'm not saying it's impossible to live here but most teenagers in London (particularly South) have lost friends to stabbings or shootings and have been the victim of street robberies. As a female uni student you will most likely be safe if you keep to yourself but people telling you that Brixton is nice and safe are delusional.

Yep looks pretty safe to me :smile:

Latest