The Student Room Group

losing belly fat

hi, it's been hard to loose belly fat for me since I started to workout. I used to be very chubby in my 13s but I started working out, I also once went to GYM when I was 17, to lose weight, which gave me the results which were kinda satisfying. Before GYM I was about 95 kg and after a workout of 3 months I weighted 87 kg's. And now i'm 18y nd still 87kg but my belly fat is still there. Can anyone help me and tell me a few home workouts to really be ripped.:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, if your goal is to look ripped, then I'd suggest looking at your diet as the best way to lose the belly fat. Doing home workouts may increase your calorie expenditure a little, but looking at your food intake and entering a calorie deficit is going to be a much more effective way to lose body fat.
Hi there,

Pilates and yoga are really good at strengthening your core which should help with achieving a flatter tummy. There are some really good, free online workouts such as https://pilateslive.co.uk/ or https://www.verywellfit.com/free-pilates-exercise-videos-online-2704368

Weight training or regular workouts won't always target your tummy area as they tend to focus on physical strength in leg, arms, shoulders, etc...

Give it a go, they're both really good, not only for physical health but for maintaining positive mental health, which is a must in these challenging times.

Good luck!
Original post by DunHolmHouseDurham
Hi there,

Pilates and yoga are really good at strengthening your core which should help with achieving a flatter tummy. There are some really good, free online workouts such as https://pilateslive.co.uk/ or https://www.verywellfit.com/free-pilates-exercise-videos-online-2704368

Weight training or regular workouts won't always target your tummy area as they tend to focus on physical strength in leg, arms, shoulders, etc...

Give it a go, they're both really good, not only for physical health but for maintaining positive mental health, which is a must in these challenging times.

Good luck!

You can't spot reduce fat.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
You can't spot reduce fat.

You're right, you can't but the point I was making is that building core strength is just as important as building muscle strength. The key is finding something that works for you so there's no harm in trying something different :smile:
Hey bro what's your BMI? I used to be pretty fat too but obviously I'm not anymore (yes it's me in my pic) and as such I have quite a passion for fitness. 💪🏽:cool:👌🏽
Remember that losing weight is dependent not only on exercise but also on diet. You sound like you already exercise regularly so now I'd recommend downloading a calorie counting app and consistently burning more calories than you eat in order to create a fat burning state in the body.
Reply 6
Original post by Cambrian80
Hi, if your goal is to look ripped, then I'd suggest looking at your diet as the best way to lose the belly fat. Doing home workouts may increase your calorie expenditure a little, but looking at your food intake and entering a calorie deficit is going to be a much more effective way to lose body fat.

you're right cambrian80, a lot people nd my friends have suggested the same thing as to maintain diet. But, it's hard to maintain diet, as in these days but, will try to do it. Also have heard that our body depends upon 80% diet nd 20% workout. so thanks again for the idea.
Reply 7
Original post by victorjones45
So you kept your weight at the same mark of 87 kg, thats already a big motivation for yourself.Now you've to struggle to get healthy weight corresponding to your height and gender. I was at the same condition 1 year ago, and my big problem was that i was becoming overweight continuously, So there isn't any science or set of rules which can be applied to everyone for getting healthy weight, instead every workout plan and diet plan must be customized at the certain level to achieve best of your goals. While if you are looking for some general tips for staying fit here https://www.aqfsports.com/blogs/news/how-to-stay-fit-in-shape-with-these-simple-tips you can get many of them, but you must be focused on maintaining routine, otherwise the results will not be worthwhile.

Thanks a lot mate. It's been hard to step down all the way from 95kg to 87kg but, somehow people experience something in their life that motivate them to do such things. And thanks for the advice.PEACE
Reply 8
As said above - diet is key, when it comes to losing weight it's around 80% diet and 20% exercise. I'm in the process of losing weight, currently 1 week in & I've lost 4 pounds and I can honestly tell you that every little bit helps.

I've cut out liquid calories completely which was major for me because I was a caffeine addict, I've been trying something called USN meal replacement shakes which I have for breakfast & lunch with some fruit and honestly it's been working well for me. For exercises I've been winging it a little but I have a general plan - I aim to get my exercise in first thing in the morning so I can't put it off for anything else, I work on my cardio 3 days a week & my strength 2 days a week, it's really important to not do the same exercises under the same intensity day after day because your body will get used to it and as a result you will not see the weight loss results you want.

As far as specific training goes I've been doing a lot of body weight exercises because I can't afford to go the gym but it's honestly not necessary. Squats, elevated plank hold, glute bridge raises, push ups or elevated push ups if you struggle. There are MANY examples of using your body weight for strength training on Youtube and that's where I found my inspiration so I highly recommend you check it out.

I should also mention that if your goal is to lose belly fat, be prepared for a journey because your belly is the last place your body will dip into its fat reserves for energy but if you stick to your routine I have no doubt that you'll reach your goal :smile:

Hope I helped in any way, good luck with your weight loss :smile:
Hi OP.

What people haven't seemed to have mentioned here is the proven link between visceral fat (ie: unhealthy fat around the organs like the heart, liver, kidneys and stomach etc) and consumption of refined/added sugar. Sugar (ie: Sucrose) on a molecular scale is 1 part fructose and 1 part glucose. Fructose is a toxin that is metabolised by the liver in a very similar way to alcohol. It is why over-consumption of sugar and/or alcohol both lead to the classic "beer belly" and can result in similar chronic bodily disorders. Cut out foods with added sugar (can be difficult since almost all packaged food in the supermarket has lots of the stuff) and stick to whole foods as much as humanly possible. This also includes drinks. Soft drinks such as coca-cola and even fruit juices are horrifically bad for you because of all enormous quantity of free sugars floating around in them and will be highly detrimental to your goals of losing belly-fat.

No matter how well you exercise, you cannot outrun a bad diet. That's a fact. Diet is at least 80-90% of the story when it comes to weight loss.

Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LCHF OMAD
Hi OP.

What people haven't seemed to have mentioned here is the proven link between visceral fat (ie: unhealthy fat around the organs like the heart, liver, kidneys and stomach etc) and consumption of refined/added sugar. Sugar (ie: Sucrose) on a molecular scale is 1 part fructose and 1 part glucose. Fructose is a toxin that is metabolised by the liver in a very similar way to alcohol. It is why over-consumption of sugar and/or alcohol both lead to the classic "beer belly" and can result in similar chronic bodily disorders. Cut out foods with added sugar (can be difficult since almost all packaged food in the supermarket has lots of the stuff) and stick to whole foods as much as humanly possible. This also includes drinks. Soft drinks such as coca-cola and even fruit juices are horrifically bad for you because of all enormous quantity of free sugars floating around in them and will be highly detrimental to your goals of losing belly-fat.

No matter how well you exercise, you cannot outrun a bad diet. That's a fact. Diet is at least 80-90% of the story when it comes to weight loss.

Good luck.

but bro this is not the scene here. let me explain everything.
Based on diet, it's been around 5 to 7 months since I haven't had sugar. And that includes everything like; soft drinks, sweets, chocolates, etc..
and now calorie-wise: I eat 3 times a day where for breakfast I usually have 2 egg sandwichs ( as a source of protein), for lunch, I get fried dough bread with tea and that's it. And for dinner, it's some veg,chicken or meat curry. I exercise daily but still, I'm the same. If it was about diet then mine looks quite healthy. Now please suggests something that can give me a slim belly.
Original post by m.akbarshah
but bro this is not the scene here. let me explain everything.
Based on diet, it's been around 5 to 7 months since I haven't had sugar. And that includes everything like; soft drinks, sweets, chocolates, etc..
and now calorie-wise: I eat 3 times a day where for breakfast I usually have 2 egg sandwichs ( as a source of protein), for lunch, I get fried dough bread with tea and that's it. And for dinner, it's some veg,chicken or meat curry. I exercise daily but still, I'm the same. If it was about diet then mine looks quite healthy. Now please suggests something that can give me a slim belly.

Definitely not the worst diet I've seen. But I don't entirely agree with that assessment. Fried dough bread is not healthy in any sense of the word. It is a nutritionally void source of refined carbohydrate stripped of fibre and certainly isn't helping you. Neither, probably is the egg sandwich since the majority of bread out there is just as bad. Also if it's some egg-mayo type mixture then sugar could have been added. As for your chicken or vegetable curry, I don't know what goes into it. If it comes pre-made in a jar, it could well have quite a lot of added sugar. The food companies are utterly nefarious with how they add it to our food. The only thing I can definitely agree with are the eggs! As I said, stick to whole-food.

I am an advocate of the one meal a day (OMAD) approach and it has helped me to lose weight and manage my diabetes. I eat one meal a day (and nothing else), with plenty of fat and fibre to keep you going. Try making an omlette filled with grated cheese plus some veggies like spinach and mushroom. Add a little salad and next to it, add some high-fat meat like chicken thighs or pork belly. The fat and fibre keep you full for longer. Then eat nothing else for the rest of the day. You could try but it might be a bit difficult to break the habit of 3 meals a day and go straight to one immediately, so I would just start with 2 meals a day and work on adding more fat and fibre to your diet before changing to one.

Another one of my favourite meals before I went low carb to manage my diabetes better was a weird combination but altogether it tasted amazing. Each mouthful was: a bite of crispbread dipped in hummus, a teaspoon of avocado and a couple of olives plus 3 or 4 whole almonds. And it was just several mouthfuls of that. Very nutritious and tasty, and gives you lots of fat and fibre - the stuff that keeps you going for longer.
If you don't feel you can live without bread, then I would suggest switching to something that is made from 100% wholegrain flour. So many breads out there marketed as "wholegrain"/"wholemeal" have lots of non-wholegrain flour added. The non-wholegrain type has had a good deal of its fibre stripped away. Better yet, make the bread yourself and add a **** tonne of seeds to it! Maybe spread some avocado on that wholegrain, seed-laden toast with butter. That'll keep you going for ages.
Definitely not the worst diet I've seen. But I don't entirely agree with that assessment. Fried dough bread is not healthy in any sense of the word. It is a nutritionally void source of refined carbohydrate stripped of fibre and certainly isn't helping you. Neither, probably is the egg sandwich since the majority of bread out there is just as bad. Also if it's some egg-mayo type mixture then sugar could have been added. As for your chicken or vegetable curry, I don't know what goes into it. If it comes pre-made in a jar, it could well have quite a lot of added sugar. The food companies are utterly nefarious with how they add it to our food. The only thing I can definitely agree with are the eggs! As I said, stick to whole-food.

I am an advocate of the one meal a day (OMAD) approach and it has helped me to lose weight and manage my diabetes. I eat one meal a day (and nothing else), with plenty of fat and fibre to keep you going. Try making an omlette filled with grated cheese plus some veggies like spinach and mushroom. Add a little salad and next to it, add some high-fat meat like chicken thighs or pork belly. The fat and fibre keep you full for longer. Then eat nothing else for the rest of the day. You could try but it might be a bit difficult to break the habit of 3 meals a day and go straight to one immediately, so I would just start with 2 meals a day and work on adding more fat and fibre to your diet before changing to one.

Another one of my favourite meals before I went low carb to manage my diabetes better was a weird combination but altogether it tasted amazing. Each mouthful was: a bite of crispbread dipped in hummus, a teaspoon of avocado and a couple of olives plus 3 or 4 whole almonds. And it was just several mouthfuls of that. Very nutritious and tasty, and gives you lots of fat and fibre - the stuff that keeps you going for longer.

What is wrong with sugar? Also fat is the least satiating macro and the mouthful meal you described at the end is extremely calorically dense. Something I would not recommend to someone who is trying to lose weight.
What is wrong with sugar? Also fat is the least satiating macro and the mouthful meal you described at the end is extremely calorically dense. Something I would not recommend to someone who is trying to lose weight.

Yes, it's calorically dense. That's how I have my meals. A normal meal for me is around 1000-1200 calories. And then I eat literally nothing else for the entire day. It satiates me enough to keep me going for the entire day. Because of the fat and fibre. :smile:
Yes, it's calorically dense. That's how I have my meals. A normal meal for me is around 1000-1200 calories. And then I eat literally nothing else for the entire day. It satiates me enough to keep me going for the entire day. Because of the fat and fibre. :smile:

You do realize that fat does not fill you up right? At least not as much as protein and carbs.

Sugar molecules consist of one part glucose and one part fructose. Fructose is a known liver toxin that is metabolised by the body in a very similar way to alcohol - overconsumption of either can result in over-development of harmful visceral fat, ie: fat around your organs such as liver, heart, kidneys etc. This is why big drinkers often develop big "beer bellies" but do not appear so obese everywhere else on their bodies. I recommend you watch a youtuber called "What I've learned" who has a good video on this. It's called "Sugar - the liver toxin". The point is that sugar has a very similar effect on your weight and fat composition to alcohol, because the byproducts they are broken down into by the liver are practically the same.
(edited 3 years ago)
Sugar molecules consist of one part glucose and one part fructose. Fructose is a known liver toxin that is metabolised by the body in a very similar way to alcohol - overconsumption of either can result in over-development of harmful visceral fat, ie: fat around your organs such as liver, heart, kidneys etc. This is why big drinkers often develop big "beer bellies" but do not appear so obese everywhere else on their bodies. I recommend you watch a youtuber called "What I've learned" who has a good video on this. It's called "Sugar - the liver toxin". The point is that sugar has a very similar effect on your weight and fat composition to alcohol, because the byproducts they are broken down into by the liver are practically the same.

Incorrect. Fructose is only metabolised in the liver when the epithelic area in the small intestines is overloaded, this rarely in real life situations. Fructose is not an issue when consumed in moderate amounts.
hi, it's been hard to loose belly fat for me since I started to workout. I used to be very chubby in my 13s but I started working out, I also once went to GYM when I was 17, to lose weight, which gave me the results which were kinda satisfying. Before GYM I was about 95 kg and after a workout of 3 months I weighted 87 kg's. And now i'm 18y nd still 87kg but my belly fat is still there. Can anyone help me and tell me a few home workouts to really be ripped.:colondollar:

Les Mills on demand is really good! You get a 3 month free trial I think, and it's quite good value for the variety of exercises you can do!

Different classes include : Body balance (stretching + ypga type things), body pump - I'd suggest doing this one as it helps you get lean muscle reasonably quickly. Body attack is not as intense but increases your metabolism a lot.

Once you become really physically fit, you can try GRIT strength or GRIT cardio - they're really hard! There's a free one on Youtube with #LIKENINA in the video title...give it a go if you like!

Chloe Ting shred programmes(free) are apparently good, but I reckon she does exercises to lose fat/tone specific muscles instead of increasing muscle strength as much.

Quick Reply

Latest