The Student Room Group

Careers in Tourism

What are the best careers to get with a Tourism and Hospitality degree? :smile:

(not for me, just curious)
Original post by cryingbubba
What are the best careers to get with a Tourism and Hospitality degree? :smile:

(not for me, just curious)

Dont think theres a worse time anyone could be in tourism, until cv 19 is defeated.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/travel-and-tourism
Original post by 999tigger
Dont think theres a worse time anyone could be in tourism, until cv 19 is defeated.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/travel-and-tourism

Yes, however the industry is going to recover over time so those going to university now will enter into the industry to help rebuild it :smile:
Yes, however the industry is going to recover over time so those going to university now will enter into the industry to help rebuild it :smile:

Ok stay positive.

Going to university to do a tourism degree is probably the worst thing anyone could do at the moment. Far better to concentrate on an apprenticeship or a profession
Not for years and years
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Going to university to do a tourism degree is probably the worst thing anyone could do at the moment. Far better to concentrate on an apprenticeship or a profession

It really isn’t. I appreciate your opinion but tourism needs the graduates to help recover.
It really isn’t. I appreciate your opinion but tourism needs the graduates to help recover.

You do not need a degree to do tourism. It really is one of the worst things you can do - and I am not the only one to think this - look at the thread.
You do not need a degree to do tourism. It really is one of the worst things you can do - and I am not the only one to think this - look at the thread.

That’s your personal opinion. Thank you for your input but careers in tourism can lead to a number of different professions. I agree, it is not an industry that is easy to get into right now as it’s failing, but the degree is not pointless. Thanks for your input :smile:
That’s your personal opinion. Thank you for your input but careers in tourism can lead to a number of different professions. I agree, it is not an industry that is easy to get into right now as it’s failing, but the degree is not pointless. Thanks for your input :smile:

Since the thread is not for you, I am curious to know why you are so bothered.

You are young and keen to get experience ( well your "friend" is) I am old and have lived and I know what is going to be important in the next few years. A degree in tourism is going to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Better to get management skills, basic hotel work ( I worked as a chambermaid in France - taught me loads) . Get language skills. Kitchen skills. Far more useful than essay writing and Harvard referencing
Since the thread is not for you, I am curious to know why you are so bothered.

You are young and keen to get experience ( well your "friend" is) I am old and have lived and I know what is going to be important in the next few years. A degree in tourism is going to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Better to get management skills, basic hotel work ( I worked as a chambermaid in France - taught me loads) . Get language skills. Kitchen skills. Far more useful than essay writing and Harvard referencing

Hi! So the degree, as I stated in the original post, is Tourism and Hospitality. This means the majority of the course is hospitality skills such as management skills, basic hotel work and the rest of what you stated. This particular uni offers a placement year with Marriott Hotels with a guaranteed job at the end of it if you perform well. I understand I’m young and less experienced than you, however looking at what I have just explained, I’m sure you can see why this degree seems worth it?
Hi! So the degree, as I stated in the original post, is Tourism and Hospitality. This means the majority of the course is hospitality skills such as management skills, basic hotel work and the rest of what you stated. This particular uni offers a placement year with Marriott Hotels with a guaranteed job at the end of it if you perform well. I understand I’m young and less experienced than you, however looking at what I have just explained, I’m sure you can see why this degree seems worth it?

Not really - no. DO you really need to be spending £27K to do the same job as someone who starts as a chamber maid.
Not really - no. DO you really need to be spending £27K to do the same job as someone who starts as a chamber maid.

Yes, Tourism is competitive. Especially for businesses such as Marriott Hotels, you need something to make you stand out and that in this case would be a degree.
Yes, Tourism is competitive. Especially for businesses such as Marriott Hotels, you need something to make you stand out and that in this case would be a degree.

Squeaky - just talk to yourself......27k.......:frown:
Squeaky - just talk to yourself......27k.......:frown:

Yes, a lot of money. But a joint degree with tourism and a chance to study a language alongside with it means standing out in the field. It could be a chance worth taking...
Reply 15
Original post by 130104lh
Wow you’re a tosser, I bet you have lots of friends😂 I personally have worked in a higher ranking position as Head Rep for a ski company in Courchevel, France as well as working in hotels and tourism roles in Greece and I spent a lot of time liaising with Area Managers, Destination and Development Managers, Resort Managers, you name it I’ve talked to them. Every single one of them had at least an undergraduate degree if not masters on top of that, they have all told me how much it has helped them further their careers. Now I’m not sure If you’re just sour because you can’t afford to do a degree and you’ll only ever be a chambermaid but your opinion was personal, rude and unhelpful to someone who is probably young and wanting to know more about this particular kind of course. I’m starting this course in September so I’ll get back in touch in a few years when I graduate and secure a better job than you :smile:

Given its taken you nine months to draft that reply I'll wager you £10 you wont.
Original post by Quady
Given its taken you nine months to draft that reply I'll wager you £10 you wont.

9 months what are you on about I came across this thread today 😂 guessing you’re another person here with unhelpful negative opinions about a career choice that you probably have no clue about?
Reply 17
Original post by 130104lh
9 months what are you on about I came across this thread today 😂 guessing you’re another person here with unhelpful negative opinions about a career choice that you probably have no clue about?

Well its nine months since they posted, are you really expecting they'll look at this....?

I dont really give a monkeys about people's career choices.

That said, given your examples earlier I think golf management is a better use of Government subsidy rather than funding skills for people to go and work outside the UK.
Focus on language skills for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending