The Student Room Group

Can you go on a full time course and receive universal credit if you're signed off?

I'm signed off on universal credit and wondering if I could go on a full time undegraduate course, it says you can't but can only if you are eligible for PIP or whatever, but could you claim universal credit while signed off and do a full time course? Another question is, could you go on open university full time course and claim universal credit. I think i'm going to have to do it part time but would prefer doing it full time.

Then again think I may not need to complete the last year of degree, and maybe a HND in electrical engineering is enough.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NullDrone
I'm signed off on universal credit and wondering if I could go on a full time undegraduate course, it says you can't but can only if you are eligible for PIP or whatever, but could you claim universal credit while signed off and do a full time course? Another question is, could you go on open university full time course and claim universal credit. I think i'm going to have to do it part time but would prefer doing it full time.

Then again think I may not need to complete the last year of degree, and maybe a HND in electrical engineering is enough.

Your first part doesnt make sense. If you want to go to do a degree, then in most cases you cannot also claim UC, unless you have child and various other situations.

The second part is similar in that it depends on your work coach. They may let you do a part time course, but unlikely for full time as you are meant to be looking for work.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Your first part doesnt make sense. If you want to go to do a degree, then in most cases you cannot also claim UC, unless you have child and various other situations.

The second part is similar in that it depends on your work coach. They may let you do a part time course, but unlikely for full time as you are meant to be looking for work.

Yh i'm signed off, I mean online it says you can't claim UC and go on full time course.

My question is if this is still the case if you are signed off on universal credit - i'm not required to look for work because i'm signed off.

And I wonder if coronavirus will affect this because if there's no jobs going then it makes more sense that they just let people do full time course and still get UC.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
The general rule is that you cannot do a full-time course while claiming Universal Credit as you are evidently not actively seeking work and you would clearly not be available for full-time work.

You would need to declare a change in circumstances in your journal either way if you were engaging in a course (full or part-time).

It boils down to whether (a) you can fulfil your claimant commitment; (b) you would be prepared to take up an offer of full-time work if given one.

Also, SFE would be taken into account by DWP if declared. So you'd defo have your benefits docked if you was getting maintenance loan or grant.
Yh i'm signed off, I mean online it says you can't claim UC and go on full time course.

My question is if this is still the case if you are signed off on universal credit - i'm not required to look for work because i'm signed off.

And I wonder if coronavirus will affect this because if there's no jobs going then it makes more sense that they just let people do full time course and still get UC.

Its between you and your work coach,
Reply 5
Original post by FRS500
The general rule is that you cannot do a full-time course while claiming Universal Credit as you are evidently not actively seeking work and you would clearly not be available for full-time work.

You would need to declare a change in circumstances in your journal either way if you were engaging in a course (full or part-time).

It boils down to whether (a) you can fulfil your claimant commitment; (b) you would be prepared to take up an offer of full-time work if given one.

Also, SFE would be taken into account by DWP if declared. So you'd defo have your benefits docked if you was getting maintenance loan or grant.

Yh, my social worker said that only way I could do it is if I was still signed off, but if I did go on the course and the jobcentre found out, it'd be likely that my benefits would be stopped meaning I would have to take out another maintenance loan to cover rent, so I don't wanna do that. Could see that landing me in loads of debt. I think it's a risk not worth taking. SFE and universal credit are probably connected anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
Your student finance might be too high to get anything from universal credit.
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your student finance might be too high to get anything from universal credit.

I'm already on a higher rate so I think it definitely would
Reply 8
What's your current entitlement with UC?
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
What's your current entitlement with UC?

Limited capability for work and work-related activity
Limited capability for work and work-related activity

From what I've read you'd probably be reassessed to see if you still fit criteria, but you would only be deemed limited capability for work not work related activity, as you'd be making progress towards work by studying (aka you're doing work related activity). By default you'd need to be in receipt of PIP as well.

I'm not sure though, it's probably worth getting in touch with your local CAB or depending on what you're dealing with any associated charities or even things like Scope. They all tend to have people who understand this sort of complicated thing
Reply 11
Original post by Pathway
From what I've read you'd probably be reassessed to see if you still fit criteria, but you would only be deemed limited capability for work not work related activity, as you'd be making progress towards work by studying (aka you're doing work related activity). By default you'd need to be in receipt of PIP as well.

I'm not sure though, it's probably worth getting in touch with your local CAB or depending on what you're dealing with any associated charities or even things like Scope. They all tend to have people who understand this sort of complicated thing

I was contacted by the police today about mental health and she said they would be sending something to me about this to see if I can get on PIP or whatever, I went to hospital last week talking about a god experience or could be psychosis, so yh, I may be able to get the help, I tend to have these episodes of depression now and they are severe so I don't know. I know now something needs to be done about my mental health and think maybe they could make exceptions just to see me get through this? I could go on the course full time if I get PIP or DLA, the thing is doing it part time, i'll finish at 29 years old which is not good and would rather just get it out of the way in a year. I've also asked for interview tips because I think my mental health doesn't come across as a good thing at interview.
(edited 3 years ago)
I was contacted by the police today about mental health and she said they would be sending something to me about this to see if I can get on PIP or whatever, I went to hospital last week talking about a god experience or could be psychosis, so yh, I may be able to get the help, I tend to have these episodes of depression now and they are severe so I don't know. I know now something needs to be done about my mental health and think maybe they could make exceptions just to see me get through this? I could go on the course full time if I get PIP or DLA, the thing is doing it part time, i'll finish at 29 years old which is not good and would rather just get it out of the way in a year.

DLA doesn't exist for working age adults anymore. PIP yes, but like UC can be difficult to get unless you have good evidence.

I'm unsure specifically how it works as I refused to apply for PIP and ESA when I was at university even though I could've. I get PIP and ESA now though if you have questions? But specifically how it is impacted by studying I'm unsure. :dontknow:
They may question how you can be well enough to study full time and not work.

Yes, especially with MH stuff.
Reply 15

Well generally if I just go back into any job or whatever, like what i've done in the past I could see myself relapsing into depression, where I originally was, it just reverses all the work i've put into getting myself together, tbh I don't think they would let me do it, i'm just going to see how it goes and see what comes from them sending me some info in the post. What I really don't want is to be back in this situation of working as kitchen porter and being treated badly, and having those type of people that say "you don't have depression", well **** them, best decision I ever made was moving on from that. I don't know if it will be at their discretion or whatever, it seems to me that things are just better when your away from these kind of people that pull you into this, they are nasty and you become like them. Depressed people generally like to avoid people, studying is different to work in that you can be away from people, in a work environment there's often a lot of heated arguments or whatever that I couldn't handle.

What I really don't like is these kind of people that like to put you in this position of working as a kitchen porter or something, and saying your degree is useless, and shouting at you etc, you have to stand up for yourself so you can be better than that. I take these antidepressants and actually yes my electrical engineering degree does have value, it's great thing to do, it seems to me you get all these people working in like a kitchen or something waking up at 6am on minimum wage, then say people like us who go to uni are useless and should work at burger king, you get treated badly, I think maybe if they let me do this it'll be at their own discretion.

I realize now I was really like awkward and self conscious etc because people would always be horrible to me, my friends were ditching me etc and like they say you decline, it's downward spiral if you let people treat you bad.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you're living alone and doing a full time course then you're not entitled to UC. You may be entitled to it if you're studying part time, and the only way you can claim while studying full time is if you're a single parent, a carer, disabled, or living with someone who is entitled to receive UC.
Hi i am a single parent age 22 wanna go to college for my GCSC (english, maths) and health and social care.My daughter is 4 year old going full time school.Ive done my enrolment and the course is starting from september.Work coach is saying if any job comes in between this time then i have to prioritized the job and have to leave the college. My question is can they force me from going college and do the job. Please answer me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending