The Student Room Group

Degrees similar to Tourism

Hi!

So my original plan was to study a Tourism and Hospitality degree at uni, but now (due to corona) I’m not sure if that’s a good idea.

I currently study Travel and Tourism and will achieve a maximum of 112 UCAS points.

What could I study at uni with this? Should I go for my original degree?

Hmm, interesting question :smile: tourism is interesting in that it is such a key player in so many economies, but also as we can see at the moment is definitely impacted by global crashes. I think it really depends on what part of Tourism and Hospitality interests you! If it's more broad and you're more interested by what attracts people to a certain place or attraction, then Marketing could be interesting to you as well. If you're interested in the international partnerships side of it, International Relations could interest you (although I'm biased as this is what I studied!).

I think it depends on your uni too and what their modules look like. This time could be really interesting to study, especially seeing how tourism rebuilds over the next couple of years. it's ultimately up to you of course, just some factors to consider. Nobody knows for sure what the future holds for tourism but if it's something you are really passionate about, I say go for it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm, interesting question :smile: tourism is interesting in that it is such a key player in so many economies, but also as we can see at the moment is definitely impacted by global crashes. I think it really depends on what part of Tourism and Hospitality interests you! If it's more broad and you're more interested by what attracts people to a certain place or attraction, then Marketing could be interesting to you as well. If you're interested in the international partnerships side of it, International Relations could interest you (although I'm biased as this is what I studied!).

I think it depends on your uni too and what their modules look like. This time could be really interesting to study, especially seeing how tourism rebuilds over the next couple of years. it's ultimately up to you of course, just some factors to consider. Nobody knows for sure what the future holds for tourism but if it's something you are really passionate about, I say go for it :smile:

Thank you so much! I love the subject and would love a career in tourism, I’m just disheartened as people are telling me it’s a waste of time :frown: thank you for your help!!
Hey!

I suggest still go for the course you were interested in! I'm a tourism management graduate, and trust me. It's obvious that the travel/tourism industry has collapsed at this stage due to the recent pandemic but believe me THIS WILL NOT deter you away from studying tourism or to pursue a career within that area of interest. Corona will be a HOT topic in tourism for the next upcoming years!... lecturers will speak about how the latest pandemic had effected the tourism sector. It'll get very interesting! on the employment side of this... TOURISM contributes a lot to the UK's economy which means it also creates several different types of employment opportunities too... and yes it will take sometime to recover but again it'll be interesting on how this happens.. hence we need travel/tourism enthusiasts like you out there! SO don't be put off/phased out by certain people. You do whats best for you!
Original post by Success777
Hey!

I suggest still go for the course you were interested in! I'm a tourism management graduate, and trust me. It's obvious that the travel/tourism industry has collapsed at this stage due to the recent pandemic but believe me THIS WILL NOT deter you away from studying tourism or to pursue a career within that area of interest. Corona will be a HOT topic in tourism for the next upcoming years!... lecturers will speak about how the latest pandemic had effected the tourism sector. It'll get very interesting! on the employment side of this... TOURISM contributes a lot to the UK's economy which means it also creates several different types of employment opportunities too... and yes it will take sometime to recover but again it'll be interesting on how this happens.. hence we need travel/tourism enthusiasts like you out there! SO don't be put off/phased out by certain people. You do whats best for you!

Thank you so so much! If you don’t mind, what do you currently do now? Are you in the industry or still looking? :smile:
Original post by cryingbubba
Thank you so so much! If you don’t mind, what do you currently do now? Are you in the industry or still looking? :smile:

Np! Yes I'm still within the industry, and work for a travel/coach company.
Np! Yes I'm still within the industry, and work for a travel/coach company.

Oh wow amazing! Did you get straight into the industry or did it take a while? I’m concerned about graduating and having no job opportunities? :smile:
I wouldn't say I got straight into the industry, like with every other job out there it requires hard work, preparation to achieve something. I wouldn't worry too much about having 'no job opportunities' because that can't be true. Where theres a will, theres a way! Every job takes time, you'll get there as long as you are keeping it persistence in what you're doing. This means not giving up even after getting rejected several times. but yh what i'd say now.. since you'll be going uni.. try and find a part time job that works around your daily routine perhaps... reason being is this would at least you a head start and the foundation in building up the necessary skills... when you actually graduate and look for a good job.
I wouldn't say I got straight into the industry, like with every other job out there it requires hard work, preparation to achieve something. I wouldn't worry too much about having 'no job opportunities' because that can't be true. Where theres a will, theres a way! Every job takes time, you'll get there as long as you are keeping it persistence in what you're doing. This means not giving up even after getting rejected several times. but yh what i'd say now.. since you'll be going uni.. try and find a part time job that works around your daily routine perhaps... reason being is this would at least you a head start and the foundation in building up the necessary skills... when you actually graduate and look for a good job.

Thank you! So helpful :smile:
Also thought as well, depending on where your uni is, try to get a part-time job at somewhere tourism related; will be hard for a year or so but when things get back to normal, getting your foot in the door can be so helpful! (I have friends who have done this and its helped them massively)
Original post by Anonymous
Also thought as well, depending on where your uni is, try to get a part-time job at somewhere tourism related; will be hard for a year or so but when things get back to normal, getting your foot in the door can be so helpful! (I have friends who have done this and its helped them massively)

Thank you! All the unis I am looking at are in “tourist” locations so fingers crossed!
Reply 11
I’m not sure about degrees similar to tourism but if tourism is what you want to get into, looking at degrees or universities that give you added extra subjects may give you an edge and an opportunity to study something of additional interest beyond the highly vocational aspect of the course.

A quick look on UCAS shows up a number of interesting courses that would add value to your career in tourism. I noticed one that was joint with history, which has obvious value if you’re interested in working in cities of historical interest. Same with tourism and heritage.
Tourism with a language has obvious added value and any university with a language programme would be a good added extra. Tourism is also a degree you can tailor to your specific career goal or area of interest. Aviation, events management, hotel management, ecotourism, coastal tourism...you’ll find a degree out there that’s for you.
Original post by giella
I’m not sure about degrees similar to tourism but if tourism is what you want to get into, looking at degrees or universities that give you added extra subjects may give you an edge and an opportunity to study something of additional interest beyond the highly vocational aspect of the course.

A quick look on UCAS shows up a number of interesting courses that would add value to your career in tourism. I noticed one that was joint with history, which has obvious value if you’re interested in working in cities of historical interest. Same with tourism and heritage.
Tourism with a language has obvious added value and any university with a language programme would be a good added extra. Tourism is also a degree you can tailor to your specific career goal or area of interest. Aviation, events management, hotel management, ecotourism, coastal tourism...you’ll find a degree out there that’s for you.

Thank you! I am looking at Tourism and Hospitality or Tourism and Spanish so I should be okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending