The Student Room Group

Are the neighbours allowed to do this?

At the botton of my garden there is a house which is sideways facing to my garden, as seen in the pic. They are talking about putting a security light on the wall but it will be right opposite my bedroom.

Ive always been bothered by strong lightsthe reason im in the back bedroom is cause of the flood light like streetlight at the front.

Are they allowed to put a security light right opposite a house?

Heres the pic, taken from my bedroom lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes they can. I’m in the same situation. My new neighbours put security lights in their garden shining through my window. One of them likes to garden at night by the lights so they’re constantly flashing on an off. I’m autistic so I struggle greatly with this but they won’t listen so I just have to deal with it, though it’s hard. I struggle to sleep normally anyways. I found a sleep mask helped a little bit. I’m sorry this is happening to you x
Reply 2
Original post by DanaH111
Yes they can. I’m in the same situation. My new neighbours put security lights in their garden shining through my window. One of them likes to garden at night by the lights so they’re constantly flashing on an off. I’m autistic so I struggle greatly with this but they won’t listen so I just have to deal with it, though it’s hard. I struggle to sleep normally anyways. I found a sleep mask helped a little bit. I’m sorry this is happening to you x

Most houses if they are garden to garden have a space aof 2 gardens between them though, is this the case with you? The thing is their gable end backs onto my garden so the light will be very close to my house. They wont be able to see it at night so it wont affect them
Just get some decent blackout blinds and curtains.
Yes they can. All you can do is ensure to block out the light with blackout curtains or the like. Works an absolute treat.
Reply 5
Ive had them all in the past in fact I have them now, light very easily gets to places you wouldnt think it could ie around the outside of the blinds. Sure blackout blinds and curtains help alot but you can still tell when the light comes on. The thing is it wouldnt be affecting her as she cant see the light nor observe the area where the light is shining.
Original post by Redfrost
Most houses if they are garden to garden have a space aof 2 gardens between them though, is this the case with you? The thing is their gable end backs onto my garden so the light will be very close to my house. They wont be able to see it at night so it wont affect them

They’re the house next to me but have the lights angled across the fence to my house, right where my window is.
Ive had them all in the past in fact I have them now, light very easily gets to places you wouldnt think it could ie around the outside of the blinds. Sure blackout blinds and curtains help alot but you can still tell when the light comes on. The thing is it wouldnt be affecting her as she cant see the light nor observe the area where the light is shining.

Have a word with her.
I don't see how light can get in with blackout curtains if you place it properly. Yes even around the edge. Yes, I have had blackout curtains and blinds and work amazingly well even in broad daylight when the sun is shining right at my window.
Have you talked to them about the angle of the light, that might make a difference.
Reply 9
Original post by DanaH111
They’re the house next to me but have the lights angled across the fence to my house, right where my window is.

Sounds like they havent considered you at all
don't be a Karen
Reply 11
Original post by barnetlad
Have you talked to them about the angle of the light, that might make a difference.

It will make a slight difference but light is light. They havent put it up yet so just waiting for that. I can't mention it yet as they’l know that I overheard their conversation/planning about the light : p
Though it will bother you, it is their house and in the eyes of the law, they're allowed to do this. You could ask them not to switch it on, but I doubt they will care if you could sleep or not.
Reply 13
They do do a good job (including blockng out of natural morning light which is nice to wake up to) but I can still tell when security lights are on outside, these are lights 3 gardens away let alone as close as in the pic.

I dont know why lights need to be so bright these days new streetlights are like flood lights and security lights are similar. Its ok if you dont mind them I guess.
They do do a good job (including blockng out of natural morning light which is nice to wake up to) but I can still tell when security lights are on outside, these are lights 3 gardens away let alone as close as in the pic.

I dont know why lights need to be so bright these days new streetlights are like flood lights and security lights are similar. Its ok if you dont mind them I guess.

Then your only option is to have a friendly word with your neighbour and explain it is affecting you even though you have blackout curtains, and to work towards a suitable solution together.

Or if you can and you have more than one room, consider changing your bedroom.

Other than that ain't much you can do.
Sounds like they havent considered you at all

No but they’re not very social neighbours. They like to do all of their DIY with hammers, drills etc after 9pm even though it’s against the law too.
If you want blackout then you need a blind AND curtains (ideally curtains with a blackout rail) not just one or the other.

Or you could look into getting shutters - they’re quite common in other countries and you can get them that snugly fit in the recess either Inside or outside your window. Look for roller shutters for a full blackout effect.
They're prob allowed to, but it is a dik move. These lights are intentionally super bright to illuminate and draw attention to intruders...they're too OTT to garden with and use as actual lights and it completely ruins the point of them. It's like using your car alarm as an alarm clock :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending