The Student Room Group

Can I travel with friends in my car?

Will it be possible if I and my friends have facemasks on? We plan to travel to falmouth from plymouth, will i get in trouble?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gillzy
Will it be possible if I and my friends have facemasks on? We plan to travel to falmouth from plymouth, will i get in trouble?

This is not within the legislation. You will all be liable for a fine.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom

Even if i manage to keep them 2m apart in the car?
Reply 3
Original post by Gillzy

Pretty sure you can't keep people 2m (6ft) apart in a car. Also, still goes against rules. Just wait until more restrictions get lifted :smile:
Original post by Gillzy

How would you manage that lol?

Yeah, it's not allowed ATM but I'm sure it won't be too much longer until it is.
Original post by Gillzy

Pretty much impossible to keep 2m apart as others said wait until more restrictions are lifted.
Reply 6
www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-passengers

see under the section Private cars and other vehicles :smile:
There is nothing I can find in the legislation that would make it illegal.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/contents
Original post by IWMTom

What part of the legislation are you citing this from?
Reply 9
Original post by Gillzy

Do you happen to own a bus?
There are these things called trains, and as far as I am aware, they still serve Falmouth.
Reply 11
Original post by barnetlad
There are these things called trains, and as far as I am aware, they still serve Falmouth.

Very Very expensive
Reply 12
Original post by Gillzy
Very Very expensive

But legal.
Original post by IWMTom
But legal.

So is using a car with friends.
Reply 14
Original post by Gillzy
Very Very expensive

I told you the government regulations. What else do you need to argue
Reply 15
Original post by DiddyDec
So is using a car with friends.

No, it's not. See Section 7 of the regulations regarding gatherings indoors.

"During the emergency period, unless paragraph (2) applies, no person may participate in a gathering which takes place in a public or private place—
(a) outdoors, and consists of more than six persons, or;
(b) indoors, and consists of two or more persons"

As per Paragraph 3:

"(3) For the purposes of this regulation—
(a) there is a gathering when two or more people are present together in the same place in order to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or to undertake any other activity with each other;

(b) a place is indoors if it would be considered to be enclosed or substantially enclosed for the purposes of section 2 of the Health Act 2006, under the Smoke Free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulations 2006.]"

As per Section 2 of the Smoke Free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulations 2006:

"For the purposes of section 2 of the Act, premises are enclosed if they—
(a) have a ceiling or roof; and

(b) except for doors, windows and passageways, are wholly enclosed either permanently or temporarily."

A private car is a private enclosed space according to the relevant legislature, therefore, a gathering of two or more persons from other households is illegal.

Your move.
If the OP if a single occupier, could they maybe use the 'support bubble' exemption to get around this? It's perhaps not in the spirit of the regs but broadly speaking I think it's permissible.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-people-from-outside-your-household

I suppose if they were all stopped, the purpose of the trip to Falmouth might come under scrutiny though.
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One
If the OP if a single occupier, could they maybe use the 'support bubble' exemption to get around this? It's perhaps not in the spirit of the regs but broadly speaking I think it's permissible.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-people-from-outside-your-household

I suppose if they were all stopped, the purpose of the trip to Falmouth might come under scrutiny though.

My understanding of the new "support bubble" strategy is that you can only form one, so even if they did happen to be a single occupier they could only form it with one friend, which then cannot change.
Original post by IWMTom
My understanding of the new "support bubble" strategy is that you can only form one, so even if they did happen to be a single occupier they could only form it with one friend, which then cannot change.

Yeah, once you make a bubble it's fixed and you can't link up to another household, (even if you 'unlink' from the first).
Reply 19
Original post by Admit-One
Yeah, once you make a bubble it's fixed and you can't link up to another household, (even if you 'unlink' from the first).

First a social bubble... what next, a party balloon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending