The Student Room Group

A-level English Lang. revision help ASAP!

How do you actually revise for A-Level English Language, at GCSE I didn't really do anything but past exam papers and watched you tube videos e.g Mr Bruff. How does this change at a-level?
Original post by Bookworm_88
How do you actually revise for A-Level English Language, at GCSE I didn't really do anything but past exam papers and watched you tube videos e.g Mr Bruff. How does this change at a-level?

Not many Mr Bruff videos for A-level. My college gave booklets to revise from
You doing AS?
yes, and im also thinking ahead for a-level
My advice would be:

- Brush up on your grammar: make sure you know what a personal pronoun, possessive adjective, etc is.
- Practice analysing texts using this: use this vocabulary to look at texts in detail and study how the language creates a certain effect.
- Make notes on the theorists early and start learning them.
- Read around the theorists (there are lots of sites online where you can do this)
- Download the mark scheme and go over it. Pick apart the assessment objectives, read the example questions until you know what the examiners are looking for.
- If you're doing the opinion article on English Language, read something like 'The Guardian' often, and try to keep up with language news and opinion articles like this. Print them out, annotate them, write a catty response.
- Listen to how people speak, watch how they text or write. How is it different from another person? Why do they do what they do?
- Sign up for email alerts to Dan Clayton's Eng Lang Blog and Deborah Cameron's language: a feminist guide.
- Read, read, read about the subject. A quick google is your best friend during lockdown.

Good luck!
Thanks for that! I did well in paper 1, getting a 9. but when I did my paper 2 mock, I really struggled and got a 6. I was wondering how each paper was developed at a-level and increased in difficulty as well as how to improve in my paper 2 skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending