The Student Room Group

Open book Exams for GCSE & A-levels 2021?

Here is the link to the article i recently read. Im currenty in year 10 so i will be taking my GCSE's next year? Whatr are your thoughts on this?

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-book-exams-and-cut-content-table-2021-gcses
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No way they should do it for 2022 aswell
Original post by b1nary

Don't think so Y9 and Y8 IMO are the least important years of secondary school plus for those year groups there's plenty of time to cover the GCSE content unlike for the current Y10 who started their GCSEs in Y10 (those Y10's who started in their in Y9 they shouldn't worry too much tbh).
Original post by iaskrandomstuff
Here is the link to the article i recently read. Im currenty in year 10 so i will be taking my GCSE's next year? Whatr are your thoughts on this?

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-book-exams-and-cut-content-table-2021-gcses

I would love to have open book exams lol but I don't think it should happen (but I do want people to be able to have their play, book and anthology during their English lit exams). Don't think anything should happen for next year's exams other than lower grade boundaries and possibly "modified, easier" exams. See no reason to cancel next year's exams either unless there is a second wave of COVID-19 infections.
Reply 4
It’d be best for the a level exams to include more year content than yr2 for subjects like maths and for humanities and other subjects just reduce some of the content like maybe 10-15%?
Now im quite content with being the #forgotten year #class of 2020 :tongue:
I guess we just have to wait and see but i am just HOPING that the exams will be easier or that we are allowed some notes in the exam... Idk ...
Reply 7

NO :mad:
All I hope is for them other to prioritise GCSE and A-level exams sat in England first (exams are linear here, most of the UK population is live in England etc)

Honestly it would take off a lot of pressure if I just needed to work on exam technique.
Original post by Moonbow
NO :mad:

Why no?
Original post by 1st superstar
Why no?

I don’t think they will :s-smilie:
Original post by Moonbow
I don’t think they will :s-smilie:

True but tbh they need to do something about next year's exams (especially in England).
Original post by 1st superstar
True but tbh they need to do something about next year's exams (especially in England).

I think consideration should be given but the government is too 😒😟😔😤😡 to do so :smile:
Original post by b1nary

I know right. Like we missed out a chunk of education as well. It might not be that much of an impact, but we will certainly miss out knowledge and be worried.
Reply 15
Surely something should be done for 2022 a levels as well especially if we don’t start in September . Ik it may sound ridiculous but not sitting the actual GCSEs could put us in a disadvantage as we won’t have experienced the ‘real’ pressure and we may panic more especially bc a- levels are harder. By ‘we’ I mean current yr11’s.
Original post by macy_m
Surely something should be done for 2022 a levels as well especially if we don’t start in September . Ik it may sound ridiculous but not sitting the actual GCSEs could put us in a disadvantage as we won’t have experienced the ‘real’ pressure and we may panic more especially bc a- levels are harder. By ‘we’ I mean current yr11’s.

I still think that A-levels and GCSEs in 2022 should be unedited and go on as normal (at least the 2022 A-levels). Hopefully teachers will actually bother to give their pupils online lessons if there's a second wave. Tbh all I want for the 2021 exams is lower grade boundaries (I really don't want exams to be cancelled) don't care if there are no changes to the exams. I just want to sit my exams 😫.

EDIT: plus for 2022 GCSE and A-level cohort there should be plenty of time to cover the content and schools will be better prepared.

EDIT 2: my opinion has changed IMO the 2022 GCSEs should go on a normal but they need to do something for the 2022 A-levels (even if it's just lower grade boundaries).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
No.
I have already completed half of the A2 content on my own in 3/4 subjects in Y12.
The content may be reduced, and there may be a V1 for reduced content and a V2 for full content, with mark capping for V1.
I think if this happens, I will be doing the V2.
Same🙂What are you thinking of doing next

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-book-exams-and-cut-content

Even if this does happen, the grade boundaries would be astoundingly high and the exams would be extremely hard

Quick Reply