The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University student accommodation for 2020 entry

Has anybody applied for Beck house (Ty Beck) for September?

Scroll to see replies

I am applying to study an LLM in Legal Practice and Advanced Drafting at Swansea Uni. I’m obviously a postgrad and a mature student (22). I am looking to stay in accommodation. I want a decent social life and won’t know anyone so am looking to make friends, (preferably those like me not first year 18 year olds) . Where would the best accommodation be for me?
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I am applying to study an LLM in Legal Practice and Advanced Drafting at Swansea Uni. I’m obviously a postgrad and a mature student (22). I am looking to stay in accommodation. I want a decent social life and won’t know anyone so am looking to make friends, (preferably those like me not first year 18 year olds) . Where would the best accommodation be for me?

There is another thread on here with someone looking for flat mates. Might be worth a try. Swansea university use Beck House for mature students. Also many masters students stay in Hendrefoilan student village but there will also be many first years there.
hey yeah i've applied accepted the offer. have you?
Hey all, starting in Sept but obviously due to Covid I'm left with a few Q's about accommodation.

Has anyone stayed in/is living in Coppergate or Oldway Centre, could you give me your general impressions on either place and their travel routes to and from Singleton and town. Google maps leads me to believe they're relatively close to everything I'll need.

In addition, do any 1st years (or anyone who knows) know what the Lecture arrangements are going to be like? Will we be having any face to face, I have been told it'll be a mix of face to face and Zoom etc, however if we won't be face to face, and I won't be needed in Swansea is there any point in me getting accommodation.

Many thanks, hope you're all keeping well.
Oldway and Coppergate are brand new. Oldway opened in September and Coppergate in January. There is also Student Roost which opened in 2015 with more rooms due to open this year. There is a bus the number 10 which goes from the Bay campus to Singleton campus which stops outside all 3.Oldway and Coppergate are around 2 miles from the campus and the bus takes around 15 minutes dependant on traffic. As far as lectures are concerned I think it will be the same everywhere. It will probably be a mix of online lectures and face to face in smaller groups. Due to nobody knowing what is really going to happen with covid it is impossible for anybody to really make any decisions. It could well be if the situation changes more lectures could be face to face.

The current covid situation here in Swansea is that the figures of new cases are extremely low. There have been 14 new cases so far this month with 1 or 2 most days and some days there hasnt been any. On one day there were 3 new cases. It has been a similar amounts in neighbouring Neath Port Talbot and Carmarthenshire.
Original post by swanseajack1
Oldway and Coppergate are brand new. Oldway opened in September and Coppergate in January. There is also Student Roost which opened in 2015 with more rooms due to open this year. There is a bus the number 10 which goes from the Bay campus to Singleton campus which stops outside all 3.Oldway and Coppergate are around 2 miles from the campus and the bus takes around 15 minutes dependant on traffic. As far as lectures are concerned I think it will be the same everywhere. It will probably be a mix of online lectures and face to face in smaller groups. Due to nobody knowing what is really going to happen with covid it is impossible for anybody to really make any decisions. It could well be if the situation changes more lectures could be face to face.

The current covid situation here in Swansea is that the figures of new cases are extremely low. There have been 14 new cases so far this month with 1 or 2 most days and some days there hasnt been any. On one day there were 3 new cases. It has been a similar amounts in neighbouring Neath Port Talbot and Carmarthenshire.

Thanks for the reply mate, really helpful just a few more questions then regarding the protocol in Swansea right now - are things starting to open up there then (shops etc) and return to normal or is there a later date for that sort of thing?
Thanks for the reply mate, really helpful just a few more questions then regarding the protocol in Swansea right now - are things starting to open up there then (shops etc) and return to normal or is there a later date for that sort of thing?

No the non retail shops are still closed but this is likely to change on Friday when the Welsh Assembly Government announces its 3 weeks review. Wales still has to stay local unlike England where you can travel anywhere. The rule of thumb is the 5 mile area. Our schools are reopening to students of all ages on 29 June and the term has been extended by a week. However less than1/3 of pupils will be in at any one time. Our buses are currently operating on a reduced service. We are not accepting visitors from elsewhere or within Wales at the moment. The colleges have opened today for practical issues like Plastering although colleges close 2 July anyway.

Basically there is a huge difference between the various parts of Wales at the moment and the local rule is to prevent the spread of the virus into areas like Swansea which have very few cases at present.

The figures announced an hour ago showed that there were 62 new cases up to yesterday in Wales. 36 of these were in North Wales. There was 1 in Swansea and none in neighbouring Neath Port Talbot. North Wales has been suffering from the spread across from the North West of England. All the Health Boards in South and Mid Wales showed single figures yesterday. The area around Cardiff is still showing higher figures than ours. The figures in Carmarthenshire which is the area west of Swansea has shown an increase recently but this was expected as the virus moved westwards.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-cases-deaths-wales-covid-18423397
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey all, starting in Sept but obviously due to Covid I'm left with a few Q's about accommodation.

Has anyone stayed in/is living in Coppergate or Oldway Centre, could you give me your general impressions on either place and their travel routes to and from Singleton and town. Google maps leads me to believe they're relatively close to everything I'll need.

In addition, do any 1st years (or anyone who knows) know what the Lecture arrangements are going to be like? Will we be having any face to face, I have been told it'll be a mix of face to face and Zoom etc, however if we won't be face to face, and I won't be needed in Swansea is there any point in me getting accommodation.

Many thanks, hope you're all keeping well.

Hi, an actual Swansea university student here!
We have no lectures until after Christmas at the earliest so they will be all online. However workshops, seminars and labs we have been told will be going ahead but with smaller group sizes. We will also be having our mentor sessions however it is unclear whether they will be face to face or via zoom so I guess that will be up to each individual mentor. University facilities such as the library should also be open by September as well so it’s definitely worth getting accommodation.
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/about-us/coronavirus/faq-visitors/
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,
So basically I've applied and been offered a medium room at Swansea Uni and all was fine until I was told I could upgrade to a large if I wanted to. Problem is, I dont know the pricing of a large room in the 8 block flats section but I do know that my current room is nearly £150 a week which is already steep as anything, so surely it cant be much more?
I also have a medical condition that means the room I have has to be cold all the time (genuine diagnosed condition, trust me) and it's quite dangerous for me if it isnt and because a medium has one window and a large has two, I'm kinda stuck. It might sound petty to some but it isnt easy to live with. Is it worth the upgrade to a large? Also if anyone knows the prices that would be great.
Please see my pm and contact residential services. These amounts are fairly standard in many universities and in some are far higher.
Hi,
So basically I've applied and been offered a medium room at Swansea Uni and all was fine until I was told I could upgrade to a large if I wanted to. Problem is, I dont know the pricing of a large room in the 8 block flats section but I do know that my current room is nearly £150 a week which is already steep as anything, so surely it cant be much more?
I also have a medical condition that means the room I have has to be cold all the time (genuine diagnosed condition, trust me) and it's quite dangerous for me if it isnt and because a medium has one window and a large has two, I'm kinda stuck. It might sound petty to some but it isnt easy to live with. Is it worth the upgrade to a large? Also if anyone knows the prices that would be great.

For which campus? If your talking about bay campus both medium and premium rooms have one window. There are very few with 2 windows (which is actually 4).
Hello, need some advice.
New postgrad student starting in September and currently looking at private housing because campus accommodation is a bit too expensive for what I want. Anyone familiar with the letting agency Studentdigz? They have a few single occupancy flats for a reasonable price but I have been seeing mixed viewS about them as an agency; anyone know about them?

Any info would be great
Have you thought about Hendrefoilan Student Village as the accommodation is reasonable, Ideal for the Singleton Campus but a bit further from the bay.

Student Digz let a lot of student properties in Swansea. I understand the university is not using them because of problems. Have you tried the university residential services as they let houses as well which will be cheaper. There are lots of private letting agencies in Swansea.

https://www.1stoplettingshop.co.uk/
https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/
If you google letting agencies on Walter Road and Mansel Street it will bring up more.

There is Perrett, Swansea4students and many more.
I'm a mature (and international) student so naturally I applied for Beck House. Anyway, my lectures will be at the Bay Campus, so I am wondering if it's difficult to get from Beck House to Bay Campus? or is it relatively easy via busses and what not?
Original post by ThatComputerNerd
I'm a mature (and international) student so naturally I applied for Beck House. Anyway, my lectures will be at the Bay Campus, so I am wondering if it's difficult to get from Beck House to Bay Campus? or is it relatively easy via busses and what not?

There is a direct bus from outside Beck House to the Bay Campus. They run every 20 minutes and will take something like 30 minutes or maybe slightly less. The bus goes through the Uplands and into the edge of the city centre and stops outside Coppergate, Oldway Centre, High Street Station and Student Roost. These were the details for last year. The number 10 has been cancelled due to coronavirus but I expect it to restart in September. Loads of people catch this bus as the area where Beck House is based cAMPUSis the traditional main student living area in Swansea.

There are also regular buses into the bus station from there where you can also get buses to the Bay Campus.
Original post by swanseajack1
There is a direct bus from outside Beck House to the Bay Campus. They run every 20 minutes and will take something like 30 minutes or maybe slightly less. The bus goes through the Uplands and into the edge of the city centre and stops outside Coppergate, Oldway Centre, High Street Station and Student Roost. These were the details for last year. The number 10 has been cancelled due to coronavirus but I expect it to restart in September. Loads of people catch this bus as the area where Beck House is based cAMPUSis the traditional main student living area in Swansea.

There are also regular buses into the bus station from there where you can also get buses to the Bay Campus.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Obviously because of coronavirus everything will be different this year with more working from home rather than attending lectures and less room on the buses so it is difficult to give accurate advice. It would be approx 4 miles from Uplands to the Bay Campus. It might also be woth considering cycling back and forth as well.

Beck House is just over a mile from the city centre and the numbers 20, 21a and other buses go past into the city centre from outside. The Uplands shops are about 2 minutes walk. There are small Tesco's and Sainsbury's there along with numerous cafe's restaurants and bars. There are also doctors and dentists a minutes walk away. There is a Catholic church a 5 minute walk and churches and chapels nearby within walking distance.
Reply 19

Have you confirmed your housing ?

Quick Reply

Latest