The Student Room Group

Open book Exams for GCSE & A-levels 2021?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lily.tinkerbelle
Same🙂What are you thinking of doing next

I am taking 9 exams in October, and another 11 next year, split evenly between January and June.
Reply 21
Original post by 1st superstar
I still think that A-levels and GCSEs in 2022 should be unedited and go on as normal (at least the 2022 A-levels). Hopefully teachers will actually bother to give their pupils online lessons if there's a second wave. Tbh all I want for the 2021 exams is lower grade boundaries (I really don't want exams to be cancelled) don't care if there are no changes to the exams. I just want to sit my exams 😫.

EDIT: plus for 2022 GCSE and A-level cohort there should be plenty of time to cover the content and schools will be better prepared.

Well you really want to sit ur exams but my year didn’t get to, this means that we haven’t actually got used to the pressure of sitting an actual gcse (let’s be honest sitting a gcse is gonna be more stressful than a mock)
Original post by macy_m
Well you really want to sit ur exams but my year didn’t get to, this means that we haven’t actually got used to the pressure of sitting an actual gcse (let’s be honest sitting a gcse is gonna be more stressful than a mock)

Yes I desperately want to sit my exams (even if it I'll fail meaning I'll probably have to restart my A-levels) and yeah I somewhat agree with you the last bit maybe they should lower the grade boundaries for the 2022 Exams? (They'll be lowered if everyone does "bad") IMO there's no need to change the 2022 GCSE exams (maybe the A-levels ones though as the Y11s haven't had the real exam experience) and not bothered if there are no changes to the 2021 exams. Maybe Mr. Gove will realise the mistake he made (he removed AS exams! and made exams linear in England)... I want AS exams to return (be mandatory to sit in Y12) ASAP they have so many benefits. Don't want A-level exams to be cancelled.
Reply 23
Original post by 1st superstar
Yes I desperately want to sit my exams (even if it I'll fail meaning I'll probably have to restart my A-levels) and yeah I somewhat agree with you the last bit maybe they should lower the grade boundaries for the 2022 Exams? (They'll be lowered if everyone does "bad") IMO there's no need to change the 2022 GCSE exams (maybe the A-levels ones though as the Y11s haven't had the real exam experience) and not bothered if there are no changes to the 2021 exams. Maybe Mr. Gove will realise the mistake he made (he removed AS exams! and made exams linear in England)... I want AS exams to return (be mandatory to sit in Y12) ASAP they have so many benefits. Don't want A-level exams to be cancelled.

yh i think as should return and i agree the a levels 2022 shouldn't be changed but perhaps lower boundaries
Original post by macy_m
yh i think as should return and i agree the a levels 2022 shouldn't be changed but perhaps lower boundaries

Tbh it makes me think that the 2021, 2022 A-level cohort and 2021 GCSE cohort will "poorer" results than previous years (the 2021 cohort have missed out content and 2022 A-level cohort haven't has any "real" exam experience) I am probably chatting nonsense but I've got a feeling that this could happen?

Edit: glad I am not in Y11 though feel sorry for some of the Y11's
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by macy_m

You have to bear in mind (this applies to every student in every year) that everyone in your year is in the same boat, so for the 2022 alevels (near enough) everyone will have not sat their GCSEs. Yes I do feel for you, but just remember you are not alone and if you want to get a feel for exams maybe consider sitting one in October...?

And remember grade boundaries are not just randomly set, they are done through various calculations, so each year x% of students get an A*, y% get an A ect....so they can't just "lower them", yes especially for the 2021 alevels they are likely to be lower than previous years, but that will occur naturally rather than because the exam boards have lowered them.

And on the topic I don't this exams should be made open book, but that is just a personal opinion.
Original post by Becca216
You have to bear in mind (this applies to every student in every year) that everyone in your year is in the same boat, so for the 2022 alevels (near enough) everyone will have not sat their GCSEs. Yes I do feel for you, but just remember you are not alone and if you want to get a feel for exams maybe consider sitting one in October...?

And remember grade boundaries are not just randomly set, they are done through various calculations, so each year x% of students get an A*, y% get an A ect....so they can't just "lower them", yes especially for the 2021 alevels they are likely to be lower than previous years, but that will occur naturally rather than because the exam boards have lowered them.

And on the topic I don't this exams should be made open book, but that is just a personal opinion.

Agreed
Thing is, to 'modify' every single paper from every exam board is a HUGE task. I doubt they'd choose such a time consuming thing. Plus, easier exams for all doesn't address widening disparity does it.
You cant reduce content for humanities exams. For example, my English paper has three 25 mark questions. Can't really be reduced. My history paper has two 25 markers and one 30 marker. Once again, hard to reduce by a percentage amount. They need to go down the route which addresses growing disparity, and this route isn't it.
Original post by redscarlett
Thing is, to 'modify' every single paper from every exam board is a HUGE task. I doubt they'd choose such a time consuming thing. Plus, easier exams for all doesn't address widening disparity does it.

True tbh I think they might modify the autumn exams so they could also modify next years exams too... I am not bothered if there are no changes to next year's exams though.
Original post by iaskrandomstuff
Here is the link to the article i recently read. Im currenty in year 10 so i will be taking my GCSE's next year? Whatr are your thoughts on this?

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-open-book-exams-and-cut-content-table-2021-gcses

I hope so. I'll feel less stressed as I don't have to remember all the quotes for English
Original post by 8013
No.
I have already completed half of the A2 content on my own in 3/4 subjects in Y12.
The content may be reduced, and there may be a V1 for reduced content and a V2 for full content, with mark capping for V1.
I think if this happens, I will be doing the V2.

You are and IAL student and your exams are different...
Original post by Lily.tinkerbelle
Even if this does happen, the grade boundaries would be astoundingly high and the exams would be extremely hard

ohh yeahh i didnt think about that.. hmm... i guess id rather have lower grade boundaries then
I’ve read this article as well and I honestly think it’s a possibility, but a small one. They are more likely to lower grade boundaries, cut content or postpone them. However it is a possibility that they could look into. It would definitely help students who don’t do well in home schooled conditions
A lot of people have disagreed with me, but personally I think open book exams would be ridiculous!!! you wouldn’t have to revise content, that immediately favours the naturally smart but lazy people who can’t be bothered to learn content, as they have everything there for them, and cancels out all the marks you usually get for just memorised content that people who work extremely hard for their grade (like me and a lot of my friends) usually achieve. Also, there wouldn’t be any point in questions asking for raw content, meaning all the questions would have to be application, this means the questions are considerably harder, meaning only a select few will be able to answer them. As a person who is not naturally smart, and works extremely hard and deserves every grade they get, I can easily see that open book is an awful idea. Please can I have someone that agrees with me? 😂😂 so many people haven’t and it’s infuriating because those are probably the ones that are naturally smart (the ones I’m jealous of 😂😂)
Original post by aimeemclean
A lot of people have disagreed with me, but personally I think open book exams would be ridiculous!!! you wouldn’t have to revise content, that immediately favours the naturally smart but lazy people who can’t be bothered to learn content, as they have everything there for them, and cancels out all the marks you usually get for just memorised content that people who work extremely hard for their grade (like me and a lot of my friends) usually achieve. Also, there wouldn’t be any point in questions asking for raw content, meaning all the questions would have to be application, this means the questions are considerably harder, meaning only a select few will be able to answer them. As a person who is not naturally smart, and works extremely hard and deserves every grade they get, I can easily see that open book is an awful idea. Please can I have someone that agrees with me? 😂😂 so many people haven’t and it’s infuriating because those are probably the ones that are naturally smart (the ones I’m jealous of 😂😂)

I totally agree with you! It would invalidate all our hard work. I would prefer longer exams and perhaps reduced content
Original post by redscarlett
I totally agree with you! It would invalidate all our hard work. I would prefer longer exams and perhaps reduced content

Definitely!!

Quick Reply

Latest