The Student Room Group

Rayshard Brooks. Shot by two white police officers!

When are these appalling white police officers going to learn? Are they wanting a civil war. BLM! Say it again and again!

Scroll to see replies

You realise I made a thread on this yesterday right?
And when are you going to learn that not all white people are the same?

I feel bad for anyone killed at the hands of the police, regardless of their race. George Floyd, Tony Timpa and others. It's not only white people to blame.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue Diamond2
And when are you going to learn that not all white people are the same?

I feel bad for anyone killed at the hands of the police, regardless of their race. George Floyd, Tony Timpa and others. It's not only white people to blame.

Why are you launching that familiar "white fragility " defence mechanism already!??. Did I/ anyone actual ever in your life anywhere tell you that white people are all the same?. Show us the exact posts of where you think that anyone actually said that. The aim of "white fragility" is to close down badly needed dialogues. Why the defensiveness? No one said you put your knee on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes 46 seconds or that you would!!
Original post by mgi
Why are you launching that familiar "white fragility " defence mechanism already!??. Did I/ anyone actual ever in your life anywhere tell you that white people are all the same?. Show us the exact posts of where you think that anyone actually said that. The aim of "white fragility" is to close down badly needed dialogues. Why the defensiveness? No one said you put your knee on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes 46 seconds or that you would!!

Listen, I'm in support of BLM, I think it is a good cause and that black people deserve just as much equality as anyone else, we're all human. But, at the same time I am white and anyone who I believe is talking nonsense about my race, I will verbally attack because I have a right to defend my own race. Your comment 'When are these appalling white police officers going to learn' makes it sound like you're only blaming all white police officers and therefore white people as a whole, when that is in fact racist, it works both ways.

However, if that was not your intention, all is forgiven. Just be careful how you phrase things next time.
Original post by mgi
When are these appalling white police officers going to learn? Are they wanting a civil war. BLM! Say it again and again!

Your post is a bit dumb and missed the details of the actual situation. There was already a thread about this yesterday.
Are you American?

O believe only one officer shot him, unless you have proof otherwise?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Blue Diamond2
Listen, I'm in support of BLM, I think it is a good cause and that black people deserve just as much equality as anyone else, we're all human. But, at the same time I am white and anyone who I believe is talking nonsense about my race, I will verbally attack because I have a right to defend my own race. Your comment 'When are these appalling white police officers going to learn' makes it sound like you're only blaming all white police officers and therefore white people as a whole, when that is in fact racist, it works both ways.

However, if that was not your intention, all is forgiven. Just be careful how you phrase things next time.

Yes, but your comments are quite interesting. Your reaction did not initially focus on the 'all white police officers' bit did it anyway. I did not say all white police officers in any event. And you should in no way imply that i did.
You said: "But, at the same time I am white and anyone who I believe is talking nonsense about my race, I will verbally attack because I have a right to defend my own race." Just read through this statement of yours again. If i "attack white racist police officers" who shoot unarmed black people why do you translate that as an attack on the whole white race ? I am intrigued! Just watched watched the black family members crying on the tv! It really is not about you!
If i supposedly suggest that all white police officers are racists (which I didn't - does anyone?) why on earth do you translate this as an attack on your white race as a whole anyway? Are there more than a minute percentage of white people police officers anyway? But nevertheless you jump straight to a" verbal attack" ! Why? If you had sat and thought a bit longer you would surely have figured out what i said and didn't say! You,probably unconsciously feel really uncomfortable about people talking about white racism, but is that an attack on your race. But yiur reaction is what black people often find when they talk about race- a kind of shutdown defence! But what i find is, how is it that so many white people go on the attack in this way? Surely you cannot defend the behaviour of Hitler, or white officers who shoot black men who are running away or white officers kneeling on the neck of a black man for more than 8 mins, or white slave traders for example can you? Of course not! Suppose someone black did that to one of your relatives - would you not speculate why and want justice?
Try to get past that defensive attack bit of yourself and i guarantee you that you will gain so much understanding of race issues that will only be of benefit to you and people you meet. Nobody actually accused you of anything. But imagine if you were Floyd's mother!
Racism thrives more because the dialogues are so bad, full of defensive stuff! This stuff wasn't about you was it? Be careful that you don’t accidentally defend the indefensible! You didnt build slavery or institutionalised racism , but in some parts of UK life you undoubtedly subtly benefit from it as a white person. Me saying this to you is not an attack.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
I know plenty of fine white police officers.
Whats happening is awful, but dont pin it on all of the police.
Reply 8
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I know plenty of fine white police officers.
Whats happening is awful, but dont pin it on all of the police.

No i am not. Perhaps i should use the word some!
Original post by mgi

This guy resisted arrest, attempted to run away, stole a taser off an officer and fired it at the officer. Just because he was black, people think he was a) innocent and b) a victim of a racist crime. People with your kind of thinking are a large reason for the world being in such a state.
This was even worse than Floyds death, They killed him for parking in the wrong place
Reply 11
Original post by ImamBilal
This was even worse than Floyds death, They killed him for parking in the wrong place

Floyd had a man kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes for no apparent reason.
Brooks was shot after attempting to use a tasor on a police officer and then running.
I fail to see how Brook's death was worse.
Floyd had a man kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes for no apparent reason.
Brooks was shot after attempting to use a tasor on a police officer and then running.
I fail to see how Brook's death was worse.

Floyd stole so Im not surprised that evil racist police would target him. But Brooks did nothing, they stopped him for parking in the wrong place.
Reply 13
Floyd stole so Im not surprised that evil racist police would target him. But Brooks did nothing, they stopped him for parking in the wrong place.

Floyd did not steal. All he did was use counterfeit money, which he could have gotten as change somewhere else ( pharmacy, another store, a friend, etc etc ). He was also respectful and didnt try to fight arrest, yet he was killed anyways.
Brooks parked in the middle of a drive through, and was UTI. He then resisted arrest, tried to use a police officer's own weapon against them, and then was shot.
They are both extremely awful, yet I would say that Floyd's situation was worse overall. He had a slow, painful death as the police just sat and watched.

He fell asleep in the drive through blocking other people. The police were called and after some discussion they tried to see if he was dwui. Bit more than parking in the wrong place. Then they tried to arrest him and then he ran having stolen a taser. He allegedly tried to ise the taser against them.
Cant see how thats worse than having someone kneeling on your neck and slowly crushing you to death for 9 mins?
Floyd did not steal. All he did was use counterfeit money, which he could have gotten as change somewhere else ( pharmacy, another store, a friend, etc etc ). He was also respectful and didnt try to fight arrest, yet he was killed anyways.
Brooks parked in the middle of a drive through, and was UTI. He then resisted arrest, tried to use a police officer's own weapon against them, and then was shot.
They are both extremely awful, yet I would say that Floyd's situation was worse overall. He had a slow, painful death as the police just sat and watched.

If you see the footage Brooks was co operative and talking quite chilled with them. Theres some controversy about him using the taser and whether it called for being shot in the back twice.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
If you see the footage Brooks was co operative and talking quite chilled with them. Theres some controversy about him using the taser and whether it called for being shot in the back twice.

I have not seen the video yet, my bad. He did run though, and then the taser part is up in the air.

If you didn't know already, the ’counterfeit’ money turned out to be real. That's why the protests have been worldwide.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
I feel your frustration, @LovelyMrFox, there's a lot of absurdity going on and the police are wholesale targeted as the enemy. But if this is what it finally takes for the US to reform its policing then so be it. It severely lags behind the civilised world. Let's hope nothing as drastic is needed to reform its shameful education standards, too.
Reply 19
Original post by TheStarboy
If you didn't know already, the ’counterfeit’ money turned out to be real. That's why the protests have been worldwide.

Further proving the point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending