The Student Room Group

PGCE, SCITT or Teach Direct?

I have recently finished university and wanting to know what the main differences are between the three teaching routes. Do you gain the same qualification from the three? What in your experiences would you say is the best route? (Primary school teaching)
Also, do you think it is too late to apply for September 2020?
Best route is PGCE.
Original post by rossella99
I have recently finished university and wanting to know what the main differences are between the three teaching routes. Do you gain the same qualification from the three? What in your experiences would you say is the best route? (Primary school teaching)

Hi @rossella99

The difference between University-led, SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) and School Direct lies in the way that courses are accrediting and how those providers get their course places. A University may award a PGCE and recommend someone for QTS (but need to work with different schools to provide the school practice placements), a SCITT can only recommend someone for QTS (but will often work with a University to award the PGCE as well), and School Direct would work with either a University or a school to allow the accreditation for QTS as they can not, but are able to deliver the training. (Similar to a school teaching a course and getting students to sit an exam provided by an examining board.) For example, a SCITT course will often offer SCITT AND School Direct places to be able to offer many places on a course, but the difference it'll make to you as a aspiring teacher is minimal. There is a slightly higher chance of being offered an NQT role in one of the schools that you train in (or one of their partnership schools) on a School Direct course, but it's not a guarantee.

The big difference is if the course is School Direct (Salaried) and you are an employee while you are training. That brings with it many different aspects.

On any course, there is a mandatory requirement to do two school teaching practice placements, where you practice as a teacher to allow you to collate evidence to demonstrate you are meeting the teaching standards. This is for a minimum of 24 weeks, but is often longer. (This is currently subject to adjustments in regards to Covid 19)

It's very important that when choosing a provider, you get to know them really well. Asking the following (and others you may thing of) can help -

- Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
- When does the course start and finish?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?
- How long am I on each teaching practice and where are they likely to be?
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Special Educational Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?
- Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET be?

Post Graduate teacher training courses are found here. (Teach First is NOT in this list as you apply to them separately) You will apply for the courses through UCAS.

There are still courses available for Sept 2020, and so it's NOT too late to apply for a place now. I highly recommend that you register here or call 0800 389 2500 and ask for an adviser to hep you make your application. We are fully qualified and expert in the application process!

All the best, Jane

I think you might have got a bit confused between Schools Direct and Teach First- just based on your thread title, so there are actually 4 possible routes.

I wrote a bit about the difference in my FAQ here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6193808

If you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to try and help!

Bear in mind that people only usually experience one route, so it's very hard to objectively comment on "best". I think all of them have advantages and disadvantages, though!
Reply 4
Thank you for your response, i had a look at your thread which was really helpful. If I were to apply for September 2020, I'm wondering how they would assess me as a lot of schools are closed due to corona virus? Also, are they still doing the skills test, I thought they scrapped this?

Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think you might have got a bit confused between Schools Direct and Teach First- just based on your thread title, so there are actually 4 possible routes.

I wrote a bit about the difference in my FAQ here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6193808

If you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to try and help!

Bear in mind that people only usually experience one route, so it's very hard to objectively comment on "best". I think all of them have advantages and disadvantages, though!
Thank you for your response, i had a look at your thread which was really helpful. If I were to apply for September 2020, I'm wondering how they would assess me as a lot of schools are closed due to corona virus? Also, are they still doing the skills test, I thought they scrapped this?

School experience isn't essential - it's just desirable. Any evidence that you've been a staff member at a school shows training providers you have some idea what a school environment is like.

If you applied before 1st April in 2020, you have to do the Skills Test. But Skills Test have been or will be scrapped this month.

However, you still need to make sure you have the prescribed GCSE grades or anything equivalent to show your competency in literacy and numeracy.

You'd probably have a virtual interview, but as schools are reopening, some people are having socially distanced interviews for jobs, so they might do these for ITT courses too, especially schools direct.

No skills tests, so that's good :smile: but you do need the GCSE grades.

I would recommend a PGCE at somewhere with a good Primary reputation - Edge Hill, Oxford Brookes and Winchester are worth a look. You do not want to be on a course where you are chucked into the classroom from day one.

Try to get a course with PGCE and QTS from a university.

Hi @rossella99

Currently, interviews are being held virtually. You would be sent the finer details of the interviews from your individual course providers; it is important to follow the instructions carefully and ensure that you know what is expected and that you are well-prepared. Here are some quick top tips to get you started:
Have all the details for the interview in advance make sure you know what you are required to do, how and when;
Have a test run check that your equipment works and is correctly set up, that you can access the software, that the lighting and sound are adequate test this with a friend;
Fully charge all of your equipment you do not want your battery to run out part-way through and interrupt your interview;
Be careful with what you say don’t make the mistake of thinking you are on mute when you aren’t!
Think about your location where in your house is suitable, free from distraction and noise. Think about what can be seen in the background is it appropriate. Test this to be sure of what is visible and within camera shot;
Dress professionally treat this as a normal interview and, wherever possible, wear the clothes that you would have worn for a face-to-face interview. You need to be smart and professional;
During your interview turn off all notifications, ring tones, message alerts etc. Put phones on ‘do not disturb’ mode (unless you need it for the interview of course) and silence all alarms. Turn off email alerts and system notifications on your laptop / tablet.

While you will need to demonstrate that you are sufficiently literate and numerate to be a teacher, there are no longer formal skills tests that would be a mandatory requirement of getting onto a teacher training course.

As you are considering an application for 2020, I highly encourage you to register for an adviser with Get into Teaching asap!

All the best, Jane
Reply 9
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @rossella99

Currently, interviews are being held virtually. You would be sent the finer details of the interviews from your individual course providers; it is important to follow the instructions carefully and ensure that you know what is expected and that you are well-prepared. Here are some quick top tips to get you started:
Have all the details for the interview in advance make sure you know what you are required to do, how and when;
Have a test run check that your equipment works and is correctly set up, that you can access the software, that the lighting and sound are adequate test this with a friend;
Fully charge all of your equipment you do not want your battery to run out part-way through and interrupt your interview;
Be careful with what you say don’t make the mistake of thinking you are on mute when you aren’t!
Think about your location where in your house is suitable, free from distraction and noise. Think about what can be seen in the background is it appropriate. Test this to be sure of what is visible and within camera shot;
Dress professionally treat this as a normal interview and, wherever possible, wear the clothes that you would have worn for a face-to-face interview. You need to be smart and professional;
During your interview turn off all notifications, ring tones, message alerts etc. Put phones on ‘do not disturb’ mode (unless you need it for the interview of course) and silence all alarms. Turn off email alerts and system notifications on your laptop / tablet.

While you will need to demonstrate that you are sufficiently literate and numerate to be a teacher, there are no longer formal skills tests that would be a mandatory requirement of getting onto a teacher training course.

As you are considering an application for 2020, I highly encourage you to register for an adviser with Get into Teaching asap!

All the best, Jane

Can anyone speak to an advisor or does it need to be for a particular course e.g. teach direct? I am torn between a PGCE or Scitt would I still be able to speak to an advisor?
Can anyone speak to an advisor or does it need to be for a particular course e.g. teach direct? I am torn between a PGCE or Scitt would I still be able to speak to an advisor?

Anyone can speak to an advisor.

I think you're still confusing schools direct and teach first. These are two very different courses!

Hello @rossella99

Yes, anyone may speak to an adviser if they are considering getting into teaching. We understand all the different options open to you and can explain them to you so that you are able to make an informed choice. We are also able to explain the financial implications of completing a course, and help you to prepare an application for those courses you choose to apply to. We are independent and impartial of any course, and so would explain all of the pro/cons of them for you to make your own decision!

All the best, Jane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending