The Student Room Group

Have these parents got a cheek wanting free school meals over the summer?

Why should the taxpayer feed their kids over the holidays when they never have before?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The fundamental purpose of any government is to keep its people safe. Safe includes healthy.

It is neither unreasonable nor impractical to want to help out the poorest in society.

Now, I know your thing is to troll here, to provoke and to generally be a ****, but there's a line of basic human decency here and you've crossed it. Back in your box.
"When they never have before" isn't really a good excuse when we're going through fairly unprecedented times. The taxpayer has never paid for furloughing either. Children having to do catch-up learning is also unprecedented.

And in terms of wasteful public expenditure, food vouchers for hungry kids must be pretty low down on the list. It's not hard to see the negative impact allowing kids to go hungry would have on their education and health, and the long-term costs are likely to be higher.

Even if you are of the "if you can't afford kids don't have them" school of thought, the kids are already there. I don't really see the case for allowing them to go hungry.
Original post by Drewski
The fundamental purpose of any government is to keep its people safe. Safe includes healthy.

It is neither unreasonable nor impractical to want to help out the poorest in society.

Now, I know your thing is to troll here, to provoke and to generally be a ****, but there's a line of basic human decency here and you've crossed it. Back in your box.

❤️

Original post by Newish.Account
"When they never have before" isn't really a good excuse when we're going through fairly unprecedented times. The taxpayer has never paid for furloughing either. Children having to do catch-up learning is also unprecedented.

And in terms of wasteful public expenditure, food vouchers for hungry kids must be pretty low down on the list. It's not hard to see the negative impact allowing kids to go hungry would have on their education and health, and the long-term costs are likely to be higher.

Even if you are of the "if you can't afford kids don't have them" school of thought, the kids are already there. I don't really see the case for allowing them to go hungry.

❤️
There has been a growing recognition even before the Covid 19 pandemic of those on a low income struggling to feed children during the school summer holidays. Even before the increase in people who are unemployed, or on 80% of their normal income.

These are unprecedented times, and actually directly funding food may be better given that some people struggle to manage money.
Funny isn’t it, the government wanted footballers to step up and do good and boy have they, people like rashford, Henderson, maguire all doing their bit.

Tory government though? **** the poor people.
Original post by Pleasantri
Why should the taxpayer feed their kids over the holidays when they never have before?

They may not have but food banks and holiday meal schemes operate in many parts io the country. The meal schemes can't operate this year [I help with one]with social distancing and there are too many people to meet indoors ...
Reply 7
Original post by barnetlad
There has been a growing recognition even before the Covid 19 pandemic of those on a low income struggling to feed children during the school summer holidays. Even before the increase in people who are unemployed, or on 80% of their normal income.

These are unprecedented times, and actually directly funding food may be better given that some people struggle to manage money.

But most of it's being spent on gambling and drugs. I'm more than happy for the kids to be fed, in the context of Care.
Reply 8
And your issue with providing a few free meals to hungry children is...?
Do you pay tax?
Reply 10
Original post by YaliaV
Do you pay tax?

Who doesn't?

I’d rather tackle the cause of why they apparently can’t feed their kids, but if they are genuinely starving then someone needs to feed them.
But most of it's being spent on gambling and drugs. I'm more than happy for the kids to be fed, in the context of Care.

They are food vouchers, to stop the money being spent on anything else.

So you want them to starve ?There parent's can't work you idiot.

:troll:

You can't just make up bull**** to suit your agenda. That's patently untrue and you just invented it because you're an arse
@Pleasantri just shut up you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 16

No you're not, your first post is literally bashing the idea of feeding kids?!

It is the sign of a society that can't afford those with nothing even the basics. Every year thousands of families go hungry in the UK during the summer holidays.

We think of poverty as something affecting other countries. Extreme poverty is alive and well in this country. The only difference is that we don't see it.

You should open you eyes, experience and then empathise with all aspects of our country.
I see the Conservatives are following Thatcher's "you turn if you want to" advice.
Reply 19
Let children starve because of their parents financial state? Sounds like a great idea :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending