The Student Room Group

What kind of spider is this?

Is it dangerous? I saw it crawling around in my house yesterday and thought it was just some dirt on the floor but today I saw it closely and it was a freaking spider, it scared the life out of me at first because it's a lot bigger than it looks.

Scroll to see replies

do you have a picture?
Reply 2
Give us a description please?

Most spiders are not dangerous :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Player69420
do you have a picture?

Yeah, here it is542EBC6A-B97B-49DA-8440-C95EFAA75921.jpg.jpeg
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Give us a description please?

Most spiders are not dangerous :smile:

I just posted a picture
Original post by Anonymusy
Is it dangerous? I saw it crawling around in my house yesterday and thought it was just some dirt on the floor but today I saw it closely and it was a freaking spider, it scared the life out of me at first because it's a lot bigger than it looks.

Assuming you're in the UK, a large spider in a house is just gonna be a Tegenaria species (the house spiders).Worst case scenario, it's a false widow. Those can give a nasty bite if you attack them but you couldn't exactly call them dangerous. The UK has no genuinely dangerous species.

Burn your house down rn.
Reply 7
I've seen it in real life, I wish I hadn't
Reply 8

omg it's huge

Oh, this is most likely Scotophaeus blackwalli, the common mouse spider. They can deliver a painful bite if you grab them in your hands. No danger whatsoever though.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Burn your house down rn.

This :undefined:spider beat me to it :lol:
Reply 11
surprised ur still alive and posting this
Reply 12
Original post by RtheBotanist
Assuming you're in the UK, a large spider in a house is just gonna be a Tegenaria species (the house spiders).Worst case scenario, it's a false widow. Those can give a nasty bite if you attack them but you couldn't exactly call them dangerous. The UK has no genuinely dangerous species.

It's not large, it's just looks large to me. It's not tiny either.
its body is bigger than my future what the ****
Throw the whole house away
One that could turn you into Spiderman if you let it bite you.
Reply 16
Looks like a wolf spider, hobo spider, or a common mouse spider.

All are fine and wont harm you if you leave them alone :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Ok so I showed this to one of my parents and they said it looks very likely its egg bound (or just had a tasty meal) so could lay the eggs and hatch? :afraid: no idea what spider it is though OP
Do you not like spiders?

Not a fan tbh :no:
A couple of weeks ago it turned out I was sharing a bed with one (not the size of op's spider luckily) :gah:
Reply 19
Looks like a wolf spider, hobo spider, or a common mouse spider.

All are fine and wont harm you if you leave them alone :smile:

I don't think it's a hobo or wolf just googled them and they are different. It is probably a mouse spider like someone else said because it looks like one.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest