The Student Room Group

Applying to Veterinary Medicine without chemistry

I am interested in perusing veterinary science at university, but I did not take chemistry A-level. I'm currently studying biology, psychology and english literature and am aware that the majority of universities expect both biology and chemistry. Other than the 'Veterinary Medicine and Surgery including a Preliminary Year BVM BVS with BVMedSci' at Nottingham university I have been struggling to find other courses that apply to my situation. The Nottingham course is really appealing to me but I'm looking to fill up my other options with similar courses. Does anyone know of any other veterinary science courses that include a prelim year/ accept without chemistry?
Thank you!!
You may be eligible for the Bristol gateway programme, depending on your grades (https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/)! Unfortunately I do not know of any other vet school that accepts applicants without Chemistry A level. Have you considered taking a gap year and doing accelerated Chemistry A level then, or taking a different science degree and doing an accelerated vet degree afterwards?
I think it would be far wiser to just take A level chemistry - you are massively limiting your chances by not doing
Applicants far exceed spaces available - why decrease your odds?
Reply 3
Original post by tabaxicat
You may be eligible for the Bristol gateway programme, depending on your grades (https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/)! Unfortunately I do not know of any other vet school that accepts applicants without Chemistry A level. Have you considered taking a gap year and doing accelerated Chemistry A level then, or taking a different science degree and doing an accelerated vet degree afterwards?

I have looked at the Bristol scheme, although not sure it's applicable to me. I was planning on a gap year anyway so I'll definitely consider doing accelerated Chemistry A level as that should definitely open up more courses. Thanks for getting in touch:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
I think it would be far wiser to just take A level chemistry - you are massively limiting your chances by not doing
Applicants far exceed spaces available - why decrease your odds?

I'll look into taking chemistry A level in a gap year for sure, I'm already almost a year into my A-levels though so can't swap to chemistry now unfortunately. Thanks for getting in touch!
Original post by madsodwyer
I'll look into taking chemistry A level in a gap year for sure, I'm already almost a year into my A-levels though so can't swap to chemistry now unfortunately. Thanks for getting in touch!

I took chemistry - got a U in AS so had to resit AS chemistry in year 13 then part time do an additional year to get the A2
It is definitely possible to start AS chemistry in your year 13 and just do an additional year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending