The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni in my Gap Year

I was wondering if anyone knows if applying to university in my gap year after I have received my grades, will affect my application, positively or negatively. I know I want to take a gap year to get some work experience, do some charity work, maybe take a course or two in other subjects before I go to uni, travel, generally to get more experience of the world and become more independent. I also am planning to apply to uni in my gap year instead of deferring. I am from Scotland so I am studying for my Advanced Highers now (English, History, and French) and am planning to apply for English Literature and Philosophy at Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Trinity College Dublin (which has a different application process) and Leeds.
if it is a productive gap year , then positively affect - some unis and courses encourage taking a productive gap year

gap year is a good idea cause it means you can focus in S6 and achieve on getting the grades you want like all 3As in your subjects
it also means you can get an unconditional offer after applying since you already achieved your grades

Good Luck :biggrin:

so @lizzyh123321 are you hoping to go into uni in the year 2023, if 2020-2021 is S6 then 2021-2022 is your gap year , right ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Negatives: there may or may not be a huge surge of applicants next year due to the current events and people deferring or declining their current offers, so chances of receiving an offer then as opposed to now may be lower.
Original post by sammyj97
Negatives: there may or may not be a huge surge of applicants next year due to the current events and people deferring or declining their current offers, so chances of receiving an offer then as opposed to now may be lower.

I want to apply in 2021 for entry in 2022 and I still have a year of school left, will this still apply do you think?
Original post by stereotypeasian
if it is a productive gap year , then positively affect - some unis and courses encourage taking a productive gap year

gap year is a good idea cause it means you can focus in S6 and achieve on getting the grades you want like all 3As in your subjects
it also means you can get an unconditional offer after applying since you already achieved your grades

Good Luck :biggrin:

so @lizzyh123321 are you hoping to go into uni in the year 2023, if 2020-2021 is S6 then 2021-2022 is your gap year , right ?

I am hoping to go to uni in 2022, and apply in 2021 towards the beginning of my gap year as, yes, I will be leaving school in 2021 and only taking a year out. I think my gap year will be kinda productive e.g. getting a job and charity work but as I am not taking a vocational degree there isn't really any specific thing I can do for my course. But yeah I want to focus on my studies to achieve the right grades.
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending