The Student Room Group

Which Access to Science Course to choose?

I have two colleges to chose from, each offering a slightly different course.

I would like to study BA Chemistry at University after completing my Access To HE. Please could somebody help me?

OPTION 1
Biology 15 credits
Chemistry 15 credits
Maths for Science 6 credits
Graded Research [bio or chem] 6 credits
English for HE 6 credits

OPTION 2
Biology 12 credits
Chemistry 12 credits
Physics 9 credits
Energetics / Kinetics / Equalibria 3 credits
Statistics 3 credits
Graded Research [bio, chem or phys] 6 credits
(edited 3 years ago)
How’s your Maths? (If slightly weak, then that might indicate Maths-lite opt.2)

The two options seem basically to trade a few credits of Bio/Chem In first for a taste of Physics , with applied maths (statistics - highly useful) and equilibria- again very Chem relevant. Especially if you do your project/research in Chemistry.

So both would be OK, but the second Option 2 looks highly useful

(apocryphally, paraphrasing : Einstein said that the world is run on Maths, with Physics being applied Maths, and with Chemistry being applied Physics - he described everything else as “stamp-collecting”) Enjoy!
Original post by LuigiMario
How’s your Maths? (If slightly weak, then that might indicate Maths-lite opt.2)

The two options seem basically to trade a few credits of Bio/Chem In first for a taste of Physics , with applied maths (statistics - highly useful) and equilibria- again very Chem relevant. Especially if you do your project/research in Chemistry.

So both would be OK, but the second Option 2 looks highly useful

(apocryphally, paraphrasing : Einstein said that the world is run on Maths, with Physics being applied Maths, and with Chemistry being applied Physics - he described everything else as “stamp-collecting”) Enjoy!

Haha.

I've been out of education for 5 years and extremely rusty. I'm going through all my old GCSE STEM books to brush myself up before either course.

I really want to do BA Chemistry but I'm worried about the lack of Chemistry units - most want 15 distinctions in Chemistry. Would
Energetics / Kinetics / Equalibria count as Chemistry units or Physics units as well? The way the colleges provide this information is rather confusing.

I agree that the second option would be more advantageous. My maths I suppose is somewhat weak, I got a C in Maths and B in Statistics at GCSE.
The second college said they will allow me to resit my GCSE maths for FREE :O
(1)You have an exactly well focussed question now, that {your choice of uni} entrance department would delight to answer!

In my opinion, yes, Energetics / Kinetics / Equilibria + Physics units would be suitable for chem, but that’s a (1)

Resitting Maths is one thing, for a friend I managed to find the ~ five English uni’s that didn’t need GCSE Math & English; Lincoln is one, possibly York was second?, so there are probably 5 ways around a resit (ppl sometimes fail a resit, due Murphy’s law)
(1)You have an exactly well focussed question now, that {your choice of uni} entrance department would delight to answer!

In my opinion, yes, Energetics / Kinetics / Equilibria + Physics units would be suitable for chem, but that’s a (1)

Resitting Maths is one thing, for a friend I managed to find the ~ five English uni’s that didn’t need GCSE Math & English; Lincoln is one, possibly York was second?, so there are probably 5 ways around a resit (ppl sometimes fail a resit, due Murphy’s law)

Ugh it's been soo difficult juggling preparation for my access course (I WILL ACE IT IN ADVANCE) as well as communicating with different colleges regarding course content AND speaking to universities for clarifications.

I just feel like doing option 2 because... well... you know..... nuclear power and rockets n that :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 5
Do what ever one you want.
If you have to pick one try to find reviews of the college or their Ofstead rating.
Original post by adam271
Do what ever one you want.
If you have to pick one try to find reviews of the college or their Ofstead rating.

I don't feel that would be a good idea as universities are very picky when it comes to units on the Access to HE courses.

So I've been doing further research and these are my two options.

optin2.png

I'm still more drawn to the second option. The question is do the physics units make up for the 3 lost credits in maths.
Reply 7
Your asking the wrong question.

Does the universities your interested in applying to have a requirement for math units? Most don't and all will tell you if you ask them.

Single best thing you can do is email each university your interested in going to and ask them.

Tbh though when I see universities request a minimum of math units they usually ask for between 9-15 units. So both are very light on mathematics.
But again most don't, these universities are usually the likes of Oxbridge or Manchester.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending