The Student Room Group

Are you an English teacher / training to be?

I aim to be an English teacher for secondary school but i'm wondering if i can get advice from a teacher or someone on the same path as me
Any help will be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by exams6700
I aim to be an English teacher for secondary school but i'm wondering if i can get advice from a teacher or someone on the same path as me

Hi! I'm not a teacher but I'm planning on applying for a PGCE Secondary English for entry for 2021-2022

Hello @exams6700

Our role at 'Get into Teaching' is to help and guide you throughout an application for teacher training courses, but also be able to discuss school life and teaching in general as we are all qualified and experienced teachers.

Register here or call 0800 389 2500

All the best, Jane
Original post by HallieMarie
Hi! I'm not a teacher but I'm planning on applying for a PGCE Secondary English for entry for 2021-2022

Hi @HallieMarie

We do support aspiring teachers looking to begin their teacher training courses in 2021 and 2022!

All the best,

Jane
Reply 4
I’m considering becoming an English teacher but I hate secondary school kids lol
Reply 5
Original post by Toscana
I’m considering becoming an English teacher but I hate secondary school kids lol

Same, i fear attitude
Reply 6

Have you done any work experience that'll help?
Reply 7
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @exams6700

Our role at 'Get into Teaching' is to help and guide you throughout an application for teacher training courses, but also be able to discuss school life and teaching in general as we are all qualified and experienced teachers.

All the best, Jane

I had it saved, i was meant to register!
Thanks
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6522386&p=89044804#post89044804 Here's a thread that I started for 2021 applicants to meet feel free to join! :smile:
I'm an English teacher! Feel free to ask me any questions :h:
Have you done any work experience that'll help?

Ah don't get me started, it's been next to impossible to get experience in a secondary school. I've been through so much **** trying, i'll be here all day. I don't know why but where I live primary schools really want volunteers but secondary schools won't look at you. So I'm having to move in order to both get experience and apply for my pgce. Have you managed to get any?
Reply 11
Ah don't get me started, it's been next to impossible to get experience in a secondary school. I've been through so much **** trying, i'll be here all day. I don't know why but where I live primary schools really want volunteers but secondary schools won't look at you. So I'm having to move in order to both get experience and apply for my pgce. Have you managed to get any?

Omds that's soo intense! I've managed to become an English tutor for year 12's, become a maths tutor for year 11 maths kids (idk any maths!)
I've got two secondary schools in mind but i'm not applying yet coz of covid
Reply 12
Original post by Englishteacher24

Omds!
Reply 13
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @exams6700

All the best, Jane

Would it be possible to get in contact with the teachers through email?
Omds that's soo intense! I've managed to become an English tutor for year 12's, become a maths tutor for year 11 maths kids (idk any maths!)
I've got two secondary schools in mind but i'm not applying yet coz of covid

ah that's amazing! well done to you :smile: haha I know the feeling, I did one day in a secondary school in 2017 and they put me with maths all day and I was there like...ummm, there's a reason I specified humanities haha I didn't have a clue! what area do you live if you don't me asking? I'm currently in Wales but moving to England. I'm hoping it will be easier to get experience there. Also, have you had issues in regards to getting a dbs? It's been such a pain for me, at one point (and this is 100% true, no exaggeration) I was told that I needed at least 3 months volunteering in a school before I could apply for a dbs...where I live it's all umbrella companies and so each school doesn't sent a dbs and you can't get one yourself so you have to go to the council etc and that's the **** I was told. I was also told that when I have that experience, I would need 3 references before they could send off my dbs form. But even when I questioned them about the experience bit, they were adamant. How on earth can you volunteer for 3 months in a school without a dbs in order to apply for a dbs? And they constantly change their minds on things depending on who answers the phone, my area is ridiculous -_- But yeah, I finally have a dbs with a teaching agency (who took me on without the required experience thank god) but I'm wondering if schools demand will another dbs if you want to volunteer. I really hope not :frown: Good luck with the secondary schools! :smile:
Same, i fear attitude

It really depends on your own personality. As a student, I was always pushing my teachers' buttons, always getting sent out of class. So in a way, I understand the mentality of a student seeking trouble.

I use this to my advantage. But I think when you get experience, you'll understand how to handle the students will attitude. You just need experience and some confidence. My behaviour management is better than my subject knowledge (my SK isn't bad by any means). But we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I've always been known as the "no nonsense type" of person. This characteristic of mine helps me a lot in the classroom when I have to deal with behaviour. One of the surest ways of managing behaviour is managing classroom expectations on the very first day.

Students will sniff you out - they notice you when you walk in their building and when you greet them for the very first time. You set the rules, you tell them what's what. Always go with strict than "friendly". It's always harder to control a class if you have a friendly/passive relationship with students.

E.g I had a class and they barged into my classroom. I got up, walked to the door and said "did I tell you you could enter my classroom? I didn't think so. So wait outside until I'm ready." I shut the door, put my PPT on, took a deep breath. Went back outside the classroom, told all of them to line up along the walls and told them to be silent when they come into MY classroom. Seating plan under way in less than 5 minutes. And then stood in front of them with eyes like "who is this person?" and told them here are the rule and here are my expectations. "I'm not here for ABC and I won't tolerate XYZ." Some idiot made a comment - followed the behaviour school policy and said "so class, that's what happens if you think you're smarter than me. Anyone else want to try me before we even get started?' *silence*.

And for me that's how I did it. You have to have a professional demeanour - pretend you know what you're doing and look as if you mean business. Don't be timid. Be strong and confident. It does get easier. You don't have to get them on your side, just get them on board. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It really depends on your own personality. As a student, I was always pushing my teachers' buttons, always getting sent out of class. So in a way, I understand the mentality of a student seeking trouble.

I use this to my advantage. But I think when you get experience, you'll understand how to handle the students will attitude. You just need experience and some confidence. My behaviour management is better than my subject knowledge (my SK isn't bad by any means). But we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I've always been known as the "no nonsense type" of person. This characteristic of mine helps me a lot in the classroom when I have to deal with behaviour. One of the surest ways of managing behaviour is managing classroom expectations on the very first day.

Students will sniff you out - they notice you when you walk in their building and when you greet them for the very first time. You set the rules, you tell them what's what. Always go with strict than "friendly". It's always harder to control a class if you have a friendly/passive relationship with students.

E.g I had a class and they barged into my classroom. I got up, walked to the door and said "did I tell you you could enter my classroom? I didn't think so. So wait outside until I'm ready." I shut the door, put my PPT on, took a deep breath. Went back outside the classroom, told all of them to line up along the walls and told them to be silent when they come into MY classroom. Seating plan under way in less than 5 minutes. And then stood in front of them with eyes like "who is this person?" and told them here are the rule and here are my expectations. "I'm not here for ABC and I won't tolerate XYZ." Some idiot made a comment - followed the behaviour school policy and said "so class, that's what happens if you think you're smarter than me. Anyone else want to try me before we even get started?' *silence*.

And for me that's how I did it. You have to have a professional demeanour - pretend you know what you're doing and look as if you mean business. Don't be timid. Be strong and confident. It does get easier. You don't have to get them on your side, just get them on board. :smile:

WOW! No lie but that was INSPIRATIONAL! Like legit. Thnx for the advice. Just wondering are you an English teacher though?
WOW! No lie but that was INSPIRATIONAL! Like legit. Thnx for the advice. Just wondering are you an English teacher though?

Yes, but unqualified at the moment. Same roles, duties, stress and expectations as a qualified teacher but for worse pay lol.
Reply 18
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yes, but unqualified at the moment. Same roles, duties, stress and expectations as a qualified teacher but for worse pay lol.

LOOOOL
So is it secondary you're teaching?
What roles do you have?
Original post by Englishteacher24

Hi
I'm thinking about doing PGCE English at Kings.
I got a top A in English Literature at A level. I think like 88% was declared gifted and talented in the subject by school
I did English and Italian at Manc Uni. Got a 2:2
But then did my MA at Kent in Literature and got a merit

Things I worry about:
-I did very well at English at school
-But that was a long time ago so don't remember a lot of school english
-I'm not that knowledgable about literature generally - haven't read a lot in spare time, will that be a problem?
-How do you find teaching the not able children

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending