The Student Room Group

A level maths help

Can anyone help with these. Thanks in advance

A company expects to sell 20000 computers in the first year if the price of each computer is £650. Let x represent the number of £’s by which the price has decreased.
a Write an expression for the price, p, of one computer, in the form p = a + bx.
The company expects to sell an additional 50 computers every time the price decreases by £1. b Write an expression for the number of computers sold, C, in the form C = d + ex.
Revenue is defined by the formula,
revenue = (number of computers sold) × (cost of one computer) 2
c Write an equation for revenue, r, in the form A B(x C) , where A, B and C are constants to be found.
The company wishes to maximise the revenue.
d Using your answer to part c, or othwerwise, state the price the company should charge for each computer and the revenue they will attain.
Can anyone help pleaseee
Original post by Superqueen123xxx
Can anyone help pleaseee

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?
Also please check the exact format of the formula in part (c)
Original post by old_engineer
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?
Also please check the exact format of the formula in part (c)

For c the formula is a-b (x-c) ^2 sorry. I’m stuck on the start tbh as I don’t get how you can work out the decrease without knowing more information
Original post by Superqueen123xxx
For c the formula is a-b (x-c) ^2 sorry. I’m stuck on the start tbh as I don’t get how you can work out the decrease without knowing more information

I think you're probably overcomplicating it. :smile:

You're given the initial price of the computer, so how would you re-write the expression with just that info first?

Now, considering that xx should represent the number of £’s by which the price has decreased, think about (1) how to represent "decreased" in the expression, and (2) do you know enough info to enter a number for "b"?
Original post by mathstutor24

You're given the initial price of the computer, so how would you re-write the expression with just that info first?

Now, considering that xx should represent the number of £’s by which the price has decreased, think about (1) how to represent "decreased" in the expression, and (2) do you know enough info to enter a number for "b"?

So a would be the original price of 650 and obviously b would be negative if it’s decreasing. But surely you need to work out b? Or am I being really thick

Is the answer to part B just c = 20000 + 50x ?
If someone could just work it out I would be forever grateful
I get what you're saying, but because they have worded it as "let x represent the NUMBER of £’s by which the price has decreased" then the coefficient b is unnecessary. Additionally, you don't have any further info that would let you calculate "b".
You have the correct expression for part B, and you should now have an expression for part A, so you can now move onto part C of the question.
You have the correct expression for part B, and you should now have an expression for part A, so you can now move onto part C of the question.

Ty
I still don't understand how you do this question, could you explain it all (especially c) in detail please?
Please can someone offer actual help with this question, it's genuinely impossible to me.
Original post by sophiesmoleac
Please can someone offer actual help with this question, it's genuinely impossible to me.

Best to set up another thread for it :smile: (maybe in the morning when more people are likely to see it?)
Original post by laurawatt
Best to set up another thread for it :smile: (maybe in the morning when more people are likely to see it?)

Anyone got any ideas on what to do
Bloody useless these lot
Original post by Waleedmwk
Bloody useless these lot

What problem do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest