The Student Room Group

Leniency in the UK for Black students due to George Floyd Murder

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on whether its right that several UK univerisities (Oxford, Nottingham and Loughborough) have said they will treat Black students with greater leniency than others in the wake of the events happening in Minnesota. This "leniency" would involve marking them less harshly as well as longer times to complete examined content.
This article explains it much better:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-53024298
Interested to hear everyones opinions! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don’t think it’s a good idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew97
I don’t think it’s a good idea.

It does seem like a move which could divide people and create unnecessary tension, is it justified due to the stress that the events in the US could have caused students though?
Reply 3
How will this be monitored? Many people, affected by current events or not, will surely try for "extra leniency" when it comes to exams? I think it's ridiculous.
even i think this is stupid
Reply 5
Original post by Racsoix
How will this be monitored? Many people, affected by current events or not, will surely try for "extra leniency" when it comes to exams? I think it's ridiculous.

They will be giving it to Black students, nothing to do with who has been protested/ involved in the movement.
They still have to prove their extenuating circumstances exist like everyone else.
I also dont see why this cant be white people as well.

Nothing to get excited about if you read the article and understand the ec rules and procedures though.
Reply 7
Original post by JonnyyCarrr
They will be giving it to Black students, nothing to do with who has been protested/ involved in the movement.

"A spokeswoman for the University of Nottingham confirmed they were offering this to help all students "distressed by current events", but particularly black students."

What about those black students who aren't affected though? As a white person, why can't I claim to have racism targeted at me? Would I be entitled to greater leniency? I highly doubt it.
Reply 8
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on whether its right that several UK univerisities (Oxford, Nottingham and Loughborough) have said they will treat Black students with greater leniency than others in the wake of the events happening in Minnesota. This "leniency" would involve marking them less harshly as well as longer times to complete examined content.
This article explains it much better:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-53024298
Interested to hear everyones opinions! :smile:

i can't stop laughing.
It does seem like a move which could divide people and create unnecessary tension, is it justified due to the stress that the events in the US could have caused students though?

I honestly think a move like this coils lead to more racism and can even be argued as being racist itself. You are effectively treating people differently due to skin colour. Say you are a white student who is struggling a bit between two grades. If a fellow student gets EC due to the situation how would you react? My guess is you won’t be happy.

It might cause stress, but at the end of the day the students do not have a connection to George Floyd and there are a number of world events that cause stress, we can’t start offering leniency for them,
IIRC this is actually illegal in the UK so it would have to be given to anyone deeply affected by the events.
So they want equality or special treatment? What a ****ing joke.
Original post by Hudds999
So they want equality or special treatment? What a ****ing joke.

I sort of agree with you but the word you're looking for is equity.

The question is, would it be possible for a black person or any person to be affected by this event?
Original post by Racsoix
"A spokeswoman for the University of Nottingham confirmed they were offering this to help all students "distressed by current events", but particularly black students."

What about those black students who aren't affected though? As a white person, why can't I claim to have racism targeted at me? Would I be entitled to greater leniency? I highly doubt it.

You clearly dont understand about EC. You dont get it unless you claim and they accept.
Go ahead and claim it and see what they say.
Reply 15
It's racism.
Reply 16
The police have been killing black people for years. Its just finally getting attention in the media. While yes I understand Floyd was killed in a horrific way, there are many, many other black deaths that were linked to systematic racism in the past. Im not sure why this one is suddenly seen as 'traumatic to students', while the ones that came before were not.
Do they just suggest to give black students leniency on their exams until systematic racism is gone? If so, why werent they already doing that years ago? That makes me see this as just another sorry attempt to jump on the bandwagon.
Original post by 999tigger
You clearly dont understand about EC. You dont get it unless you claim and they accept.
Go ahead and claim it and see what they say.

Largely irrelevant as special treatment given to someone of a particular skin colour is blatantly wrong anyway. Whether you have to "prove" anything or not, it's still ridiculous.
In my mind, it would be much more justified to give extra leniency to those who have been financially/emotionally affected by COVID than focussing on this. Not that it isn't completely wrong what is going on in Minnesota, simply that it does not affect these students enough to warrant boosting their exam results at the expense of their peers, who will understandably be slightly annoyed.
Original post by Racsoix
Largely irrelevant as special treatment given to someone of a particular skin colour is blatantly wrong anyway. Whether you have to "prove" anything or not, it's still ridiculous.

You are just showing you dont understand EC , which is what the whole article is about, but go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending