The Student Room Group

Chemistry question - ClO- ion!!

Question: ClO- ion is the bleaching agent. In sunlight, ClO- ions decompose, releasing chlorine gas. Construct an equation for this reaction.

The mark scheme, however, does not show Chlorine gas forming, but rather oxygen gas and 2cl- ions instead?? I don't get that why would oxygen gas form instead of chlorine gas as said in the question??

I would appreciate any help given on this, thanks!
Original post by Sidd1
Question: ClO- ion is the bleaching agent. In sunlight, ClO- ions decompose, releasing chlorine gas. Construct an equation for this reaction.

The mark scheme, however, does not show Chlorine gas forming, but rather oxygen gas and 2cl- ions instead?? I don't get that why would oxygen gas form instead of chlorine gas as said in the question??

Chlorate(I) is formed from chlorine and water in a disproportionation reaction in which chloride ions are also formed. This question appears to be discussing the reverse reaction.

Cl2 + H2O --> HCl + HOCl

But with ambiguous information in the question it's difficult to say.
Reply 2
Original post by Sidd1

Perhaps you read the MS wrong?

Where is the Q from?

Can you post a copy of Q and MS?
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Perhaps you read the MS wrong?

Where is the Q from?

Can you post a copy of Q and MS?

Firstly, very sorry for the late reply. Yes I will do.

The question is from the OCR A Chemistry textbook - Module 3 exam style questions.

*Q23 a(ii)*
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sidd1
Firstly, very sorry for the late reply. Yes I will do.

The question is from the OCR A Chemistry textbook - Module 3 exam style questions.

*Q23 a(ii)*

Faulty Q. It should have read oxygen, not chlorine. The MS is right.
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
Faulty Q. It should have read oxygen, not chlorine. The MS is right.

Oh I see so there's an error made in the question.

Quick Reply

Latest