The Student Room Group

Therapeutic Radiography

I am looking into this degree as a mature student. It is something I am really interested in and have therefore spoken to a few professionals about it. However I am concerned that I have never studied science subjects before. I would need to do a science access course first at college but could anyone advise if this would be enough to go on and manage the degree? Or will I struggle without knowing these subjects in detail already?

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how i can try to prepare myself first for topics being taught?
Original post by Cbrown15
I am looking into this degree as a mature student. It is something I am really interested in and have therefore spoken to a few professionals about it. However I am concerned that I have never studied science subjects before. I would need to do a science access course first at college but could anyone advise if this would be enough to go on and manage the degree? Or will I struggle without knowing these subjects in detail already?

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how i can try to prepare myself first for topics being taught?

Hi, to better answer your question are you in Scotland or England? I’ll try to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Fermion.
Hi, to better answer your question are you in Scotland or England? I’ll try to help :smile:

Hi 😊 I'm in Scotland. Currently working in Social Work but looking to change my career.
Hi 😊 I'm in Scotland. Currently working in Social Work but looking to change my career.

It should be OK then. The physics in the course is a bit challenging. In first year you’ll study the physics and mechanisms behind an x ray tube (electron movement) and the physics behind the different structures of the tube. Quite a lot of the physics is based on the electron band theory and interaction of electrons with atoms in body tissue. I would recommend buying a National 5 physics book and just getting to grips with the basic physics - you can get these second hand or I have one I can post out to you that I don’t use anymore for free :smile: the physics book you will be using throughout uni will be “Essential Physics for Radiographers” by Ball and Moore so you could take a look at the topics in there to familiarise yourself with what you’ll be learning.
Reply 4
Original post by Fermion.
It should be OK then. The physics in the course is a bit challenging. In first year you’ll study the physics and mechanisms behind an x ray tube (electron movement) and the physics behind the different structures of the tube. Quite a lot of the physics is based on the electron band theory and interaction of electrons with atoms in body tissue. I would recommend buying a National 5 physics book and just getting to grips with the basic physics - you can get these second hand or I have one I can post out to you that I don’t use anymore for free :smile: the physics book you will be using throughout uni will be “Essential Physics for Radiographers” by Ball and Moore so you could take a look at the topics in there to familiarise yourself with what you’ll be learning.

Thanks so much for your reply! I am hoping to study health and life sciences at college for the access course and apply to Queen Margaret University for the Therapeutic Radiography degree. I did buy myself a Nat 5 biology book from Amazon last week thinking I could use that and the bbc bitesize stuff just to give myself a bit of knowledge. I will certainly look at the books you have recommended for Physics! Very kind of you to offer to send me your book, I would be happy to pay. I left school in 2002 and had only studied basic science at standard grade so have no idea about biology or physics!! But I am keen to study this and will be willing to work hard. I just hope I'm not too disadvantaged.
Thanks so much for your reply! I am hoping to study health and life sciences at college for the access course and apply to Queen Margaret University for the Therapeutic Radiography degree. I did buy myself a Nat 5 biology book from Amazon last week thinking I could use that and the bbc bitesize stuff just to give myself a bit of knowledge. I will certainly look at the books you have recommended for Physics! Very kind of you to offer to send me your book, I would be happy to pay. I left school in 2002 and had only studied basic science at standard grade so have no idea about biology or physics!! But I am keen to study this and will be willing to work hard. I just hope I'm not too disadvantaged.

Sure, feel free to PM me if you want it and I’m happy to give it to you :smile: as long as you’re determined then I don’t see it an issue as I wasn’t overly great at physics either. I’m sure if you google pdf for the physics radiography book you’ll be able to find the topics we cover in there. Buying a nat 5 biology book is great - honestly I would recommend you go through every single topic in there and familiarise yourself with everything!! Physics too but I wouldn’t put as much emphasis on it - the biology module at QMU is a big chunk of your credits. I might be in my final year (going into third just now) once you get to QMU so pm me and I can give you all my textbooks before I depart :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending