The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ibrahim6543
Should I be proud to be heading to UCL in September or is it average and nothing to be excited about?

I think a lot of people consider UCL a really good uni and probably on par with LSE and Imperial. However, I think unlike LSE and Imperial, it doens't perhaps have the reputation of being really good in a particular field like they do, as it's a more generalist uni.

I think regardless of the "reputation" of your uni, if you have an offer for a course that excites you, you should feel proud.
Should I be proud to be heading to UCL in September or is it average and nothing to be excited about?

One of the best universities in the world
You'd have to pick a very specific and world-class subset of universities for UCL to be considered average.

It is well above average nationally and internationally.

Have you done your research on the university? Do you think you will enjoy it?
i think it's pretty good - high on my list of choices
Reply 6
It’s globally renowned r u joking
Should I be proud to be heading to UCL in September

Yes.
This is why I hate TSR sometimes. People like you ruin it.
Reply 9
Thanks for your responses guys, I really appreciate it 😁

UCL in the world rankings:
15th - Times Higher Education
8th - QS
10th - Complete University Guide

If you applied to UCL and did some research on universities/courses then you should know it's at least a top 15 university in the world. But we all know you just came here to brag and looking for attention anyway... Hope you're happy now that you got it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Better than the smelly ex-poly on the strand :colone:

But as the others have said a) it's great uni b) do your research
Reply 12
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think a lot of people consider UCL a really good uni and probably on par with LSE and Imperial considering student satisfaction, that is terrible. However, I think unlike LSE, it is well known for its very good teaching quality.

FIXED
Original post by Sentenced_to
FIXED

What's the issue with LSE? I don't really keep up with uni gossip these days.
Reply 14
Original post by SarcAndSpark
What's the issue with LSE? I don't really keep up with uni gossip these days.

Well, many people believe that their Bronze TEF is actually justified by their real-life performace. I've never been there though and so I can't speak from personal experience.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Better than the smelly ex-poly on the strand :colone:

Lol. Having studied at both King's and UCL I can say with all certainty that both are amazing unis. In fact, any of the golden triangle offer you amazing opportunities and prospects of employment, which is your ultimate aim when going to uni. Both King's and UCL have lecturers who are outstanding teachers and care about you and support you, and outstanding researchers that see teaching as a side job the uni forces them to do and as a result are horrible teachers. So honestly, between those two you can't objectively define a better or worse one. You will get a similar experience in either of those two.
It's definitely well above average in general, and even world class in some subjects. But for some subjects it might be average.
Original post by Tristhar
Lol. Having studied at both King's and UCL I can say with all certainty that both are amazing unis. In fact, any of the golden triangle offer you amazing opportunities and prospects of employment, which is your ultimate aim when going to uni. Both King's and UCL have lecturers who are outstanding teachers and care about you and support you, and outstanding researchers that see teaching as a side job the uni forces them to do and as a result are horrible teachers. So honestly, between those two you can't objectively define a better or worse one. You will get a similar experience in either of those two.

Which campus where you at for KCL?

I did undergrad at UCL and was going to do PhD at KCL but the psych department is Denmark Hill and went there for an interview and didn't like it - especially compared to Bloomsbury!
Well, many people believe that their Bronze TEF is actually justified by their real-life performace. I've never been there though and so I can't speak from personal experience.

Fair enough.

Yeah I think TEF is a way better metric, as it is based on student satisfaction. It is way more representative of the quality of teaching you'll get because as I said, there are a lot of lecturers who are amazing researchers but don't actually like to teach, so their lectures are pretty bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending