The Student Room Group

Are age gaps predatory?

Right so is it wrong for a guy and girl to have relations if there is a large age gap? My friend is 18 and wants a guy who is over 21 but with the latest social media controversy apparently 17 and 20+ is predatory?

I thought it was weird for me (19) to be with some 17 years old, so I said no but I didn't think it was predatory as being described on twitter about Ansel Elgort

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Right so is it wrong for a guy and girl to have relations if there is a large age gap? My friend is 18 and wants a guy who is over 21 but with the latest social media controversy apparently 17 and 20+ is predatory?

I thought it was weird for me (19) to be with some 17 years old, so I said no but I didn't think it was predatory as being described on twitter about Ansel Elgort

No it's not predatory imo

tbh, often it's the younger girl tries to who initiates these things as well, but everyone blames the guy

even in your OP it's the younger girl who "wants" the 21 year old guy
Reply 2
My friend is 18 and wants a guy who is over 21 but with the latest social media controversy apparently 17 and 20+ is predatory?

Social media are cancer.
If they are both over 18, I don't see whats wrong.
No.
A lot of people are very hostile to larger age gaps; in the habit of turning hysterical or vicious when offering unsolicited advice in relation to other people's legal and consensual relationships.
Particularly when the relationships involve teenagers over 16 but under 18.
I only date with an age gap of at least 15 years, have never dated a guy in his 20s and never will.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexty28
If they are both over 18, I don't see whats wrong.

Mmm but what about 17 and 19 or 16 and 18?
Reply 6

Don't base your opinions on whatever sh*t people say on Twitter and Facebook. Think by yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
tbh, often it's the younger girl tries to who initiates these things as well, but everyone blames the guy

I mean she was the one who DM'd her

Yeah if its like a two year gap and above 16 thats ok. Just find it weird when its like a 20 year old and a 16 year old.
Reply 9
I mean she was the one who DM'd her

DM'd him**

18 and 21 isn’t predatory. The 18 year old is an adult.

I've seen a couple at my sixth form (16/18-17/19) and it would be absurd to call it predatory. At the end of the day, it's about common sense.
I think it really depends on the stage of life someones in, an 18 year old in full time education and financially dependant on and living with their parents with a 20 something year old working full time living on their own- yeah kinda predatory. an 18 and 20 something year old both working full time living on their own- not so predatory. it's all about power imbalances really
also in the Ansel Elgort situation I'd say there was a huge power imbalance with her being both a child (he original messaged her before she'd even turned 17) and being a fan of him
also in the Ansel Elgort situation I'd say there was a huge power imbalance with her being both a child (he original messaged her before she'd even turned 17) and being a fan of him

True but does this mean if I was a banker dating a waitress that's a power imbalance?
lol idk if it helps (probably not) but my parents have a 15 year age gap :]
This thread is silly. A 2 or 3 year age gap isn't a big deal at all, even if it seems like it at the moment.

In 5 years no one will care.
the whole ansel elgort situation was because he raped the girl. he sexually assaulted her and it wasn't to do with an age gap, either way it was still rape no matter how old she or he was at the time. regarding age gaps in normal relationships, as long as you're both over the age of consent and its not hurting anyone i don't see a problem with a couple of years difference or whatever, my parents have 12 years in between them. as you get older and older it doesn't matter as much, the only problem when you're in your twenties is that one may be more mature than the other/ going through a completely different period of life.
Original post by anm775
no it's not predatory imo

even in your op it's the younger girl who "wants" the 21 year old guy

p
r
s
o
m
Original post by hollyyy1234
the whole ansel elgort situation was because he raped the girl. he sexually assaulted her and it wasn't to do with an age gap

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of him doing so however, so most Twitter users are "cancelling" him cos it was a 17 year old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending