The Student Room Group

is pepsi max really bad?

i see all the time that you shouldn’t be drinking soft/fizzy drinks when you’re trying to lose weight. but i often get cravings so will have a glass with a meal.

i usually drink pepsi max (maybe cherry flavoured) as it’s my favourite, and it’s also 0cals, but is there something else in it that means i shouldn’t drink it??

like surely if it’s so low in calories it shouldn’t matter right?

Scroll to see replies

i think it’s the sweeteners in it that have increased health risks
Reply 2
Or you could just stick to the safe side and drink regular water.
Reply 3
Original post by bleepbloop63
i think it’s the sweeteners in it that have increased health risks

ahh i see!

would you recommend cutting them out completely or is a glass every now and then not too detrimental? especially if i cut out most sugars from my diet anyway?
Hi, there are a lot of misconceptions surrounding diet drinks/artificial sweeteners and negative health outcomes, however pretty much all of theses have little to no basis in science. Current evidence indicates that there is little reason to worry about consuming artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, unless you fall into one of the following categories: children, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and those prone to seizures, headaches or migraines.

To summarise, having the odd glass of a diet drink is fine.
I have a bit of an addiction to Pepsi Max and the only thing I'd say is, if you drink a lot you have to remember though there's no sugar in it it's quite acidic so it can still damage your teeth. Best thing is to limit your intake to avoid too much of that. I also find, and have read a couple of places, that because it's sweet but your body's not getting any actual sugar, sometimes it can make you want or crave sugar more than you would have otherwise, so again it's a case of just being aware :smile:
Original post by koorgan
ahh i see!

would you recommend cutting them out completely or is a glass every now and then not too detrimental? especially if i cut out most sugars from my diet anyway?

to be fair as long as it’s in moderation it’s okay, if it’s the only thing you drink then that’s probably not great but the odd glass won’t kill you
Reply 7
Original post by koorgan
i see all the time that you shouldn’t be drinking soft/fizzy drinks when you’re trying to lose weight. but i often get cravings so will have a glass with a meal.

i usually drink pepsi max (maybe cherry flavoured) as it’s my favourite, and it’s also 0cals, but is there something else in it that means i shouldn’t drink it??

It can make you overweight, your teeth rotten and I can't imagine what it does to your insides. But, alcohol is worse! 🍻:pepsi:
Zero calorie fizzy drinks will cause zero weight gain. They’re zero calories.
Original post by Braces
It can make you overweight, your teeth rotten and I can't imagine what it does to your insides. But, alcohol is worse! 🍻:pepsi:

This is what people say when they don't know what they are talking about.
Reply 10
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
This is what people say when they don't know what they are talking about.

So you think Pepsi is healthy then?
Original post by koorgan

Drink it in moderation and you’ll be grand
Original post by Braces

Pepsi Max is fine. It is not healthy but it is not unhealthy either.
Original post by Braces

It’s not “healthy” but too much of anything is unhealthy. The odd glass here and there to keep you sane won’t kill your diet. Especially if it’s Diet Pepsi.
Reply 14
Pepsi Max is fine. It is not healthy but it is not unhealthy either.

Original post by Fermion.
It’s not “healthy” but too much of anything is unhealthy. The odd glass here and there to keep you sane won’t kill your diet. Especially if it’s Diet Pepsi.

I agree that too much of anything is unhealthy. But, diet drinks such as diet Coke or diet Pepsi is just as bad as the ordinary drinks. Water is pure, but even too much of that can ultimately kill you, especially if you drink too much of it. We all need to drink in moderation, particularly alcohol.

Hope that makes sense. And if you don't believe me, read it on Google.
Original post by Braces
I agree that too much of anything is unhealthy. But, diet drinks such as diet Coke or diet Pepsi is just as bad as the ordinary drinks. Water is pure, but even too much of that can ultimately kill you, especially if you drink too much of it. We all need to drink in moderation, particularly alcohol.

Yep.. that’s what I said. Your initial comment is just scaring people from enjoying a glass of Diet Coke lol.
Original post by Braces

Nope. The burden of proof is on you, provide your sources that say 'diet Coke or diet Pepsi is just as bad as the ordinary drinks.'
Reply 17
Nope. The burden of proof is on you, provide your sources that say 'diet Coke or diet Pepsi is just as bad as the ordinary drinks.'

Challenge accepted.

On the link provided, it will give examples of why diet is just as bad as the regular or perhaps even worse. But, I'm sure you'll still find a way to argue and disagree. https://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7
Reply 18
Original post by Fermion.
Yep.. that’s what I said. Your initial comment is just scaring people from enjoying a glass of Diet Coke lol.

Perhaps, but it is the same advice as I give everyone. Maybe, I should just remain quiet... :confused:
Original post by Braces
Challenge accepted.

On the link provided, it will give examples of why diet is just as bad as the regular or perhaps even worse. But, I'm sure you'll still find a way to argue and disagree. https://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7

Ooooh wow 'business insider' a great source for nutritional advice, I am sure of it.
Firstly your source states 'The data Swithers examines does not establish a direct cause-and-effect relationship between sweeteners and obesity, it simply sees a strong correlation just as strong as we see with regular soda. There could be other explanations' this shows that it could just mean that people who take artificially sweetened drink eat a lot of calories too. This is probably the explanation as people who are overweight also take diet sodas to try and lower their caloric intake, this is much more probable than artificial sweeteners making you overweight without adding any extra kcal, this breaks the laws of thermodynamics btw. The source continues to explain that its just a correlation not a causal mechanism which could mean you didn't read it properly but I am not here to judge. Secondly, the source provides no scientific evidence for the fact that sucralose tricks the body into believing it has ate something sugary, I have linked some sources, that have scientific references,below proving the safety of artificial sweeteners for you to read.
https://physiqonomics.com/aspartame/
https://examine.com/nutrition/artificial-sweeteners-is-the-evidence-as-sweet-as-these-substitutes/

Latest