The Student Room Group

Black Lives Matter

Does anyone have any poems they'd like to share (that they've possibly written) on the topic black lives matter?

Scroll to see replies

I didn’t write this, but Caged Bird by Maya Angelou is pretty powerful.
Reply 2
Original post by shumaira
Does anyone have any poems they'd like to share (that they've possibly written) on the topic black lives matter?

The BLM movement is important, but they should leave the brutality and thuggery actions out of it. I hope one day black people will be perceived as equal to everyone else. But, I'm tired of hearing about it.
Reply 3
Original post by Braces
The BLM movement is important, but they should leave the brutality and thuggery actions out of it. I hope one day black people will be perceived as equal to everyone else. But, I'm tired of hearing about it.

Wow! That already says a lot about your awareness on this matter😒it’s sad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bays
Wow! That already says a lot about your awareness on this matter😒it’s sad.

Listen, I already said that the movement is important and that black people deserve equality. But, really I wish to God that I didn't have to read it on the news everyday.
Reply 5
Original post by Braces
Listen, I already said that the movement is important and that black people deserve equality. But, really I wish to God that I didn't have to read it on the news everyday.

It’s your family member or kid that is terrified to go to the corner store because they are soo scare to death literally of being brutally attacked by police or who are suppose to protect them or any other racist people, is it? Children are being killed every day in America but also in Britain they do well to try to cover that up cos America is soo messed but it still exists. it’s saddening and heartbreaking to see daily murder and nothing is being done about it. You don’t want to hear about it, you want to be ignore it and say yeah yeah I understand black people are dying I don’t want it to affect my comfortable life style. That’s ignorance! We are all tired of hearing about it so let’s do something about it to stop this murdering for being black! So we can all try to at least live peacefully in our daily lives. We have to continue to raise awareness of these issues but not brush them under the carpet and say you understand! You don’t wanna hear about it cos it makes you uncomfortable honey, wake up and support the cause so we never have to see to this continuing in the near future!
Reply 6
No but i have a song:
Reply 7
Original post by Bays
It’s your family member or kid that is terrified to go to the corner store because they are soo scare to death literally of being brutally attacked by police or who are suppose to protect them or any other racist people, is it? Children are being killed every day in America but also in Britain they do well to try to cover that up cos America is soo messed but it still exists. it’s saddening and heartbreaking to see daily murder and nothing is being done about it. You don’t want to hear about it, you want to be ignore it and say yeah yeah I understand black people are dying I don’t want it to affect my comfortable life style. That’s ignorance! We are all tired of hearing about it so let’s do something about it to stop this murdering for being black! So we can all try to at least live peacefully in our daily lives. We have to continue to raise awareness of these issues but not brush them under the carpet and say you understand! You don’t wanna hear about it cos it makes you uncomfortable honey, wake up and support the cause so we never have to see to this continuing in the near future!

I do support the cause, that's why I said the movement is important. I hope we can one day live in a world free from judgement and all be equal. Just because I said I don't wish to hear it, doesn't mean I don't support it. Also, what I'm tired of hearing is about the vandalism and violence. Black people should be free to do what they want without having to live in fear.
Reply 8
I’m not having a go at you. I know you don’t feel the pain the black community’s suffering. The media is only doing this as it’s the ‘hot topic’ of the month and it will quiet down eventually until a new topic comes up again. The murder and discrimination of black people continues which is saddening so i don’t appreciate you saying I understand but can you stop now because you want to hear about it anymore. Also associating “brutality and thuggery actions” with black propel is the exact racism and discrimination that being used against black people which aids this murders and racism. Every protest comes with violence and damages and has nothing to do with the BLM movement, off to course they are violent offers that use some protest to cause violence but most of the BLM protests are completely peacefully! if you actually read and watch the news, it’s the police that are brutality attacking peacefully protests that are on the ground hands up with tear gas and even the media you will witness violence and thuggery actions from the police to the media, peacefully people sitting or standing at protesting because they know they can get away with it. So I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable or tired of hearing about these vicious attacks on black lives! We are all sick and tired for this so instead of adding fuel to the racism violence maybe appreciate that you’re life is soo comfortable and peaceful. Stop associating violence and thuggery with peaceful people that only want peace and get on with their lives without being murdered and violently against for just being black. Have a good evening.
Original post by Braces

If you're tired about hearing it - imagine how tired people are of receiving racism for their whole life...
I wrote this poem when people didn't understand the concept of black lives matter and replied with " don't all lives matter?"

"i swear all lives matter,
why are they more important than us?"
"My life matters too,
so what's with all the fuss?"

"sure my people aren't dying,
they aren't the ones in need"
It's not you who are suffering,
it's not you we watch bleed.

Those are the people
who will never understand
the pain and injustice
who wouldn't take a stand.

But Black Lives Matter
that's what matters now,
We demand equality
no matter what it takes, or how.

They aren't in need of sympathy
They don't want to cause strife,
All they simply ask for...
Is for everyone to respect their life.

-MKB
Reply 11
Original post by BurstingBubbles
If you're tired about hearing it - imagine how tired people are of receiving racism for their whole life...

I'm not tired of hearing about the movement, only about the violence and vandalism. There is no need for criminality. Peaceful protests I'm in favour of, ungovernable riots are pathetic and stupid.
Original post by Braces
I'm not tired of hearing about the movement, only about the violence and vandalism. There is no need for criminality. Peaceful protests I'm in favour of, ungovernable riots are pathetic and stupid.

Unfortunately people haven't listened to peaceful protests. Similar with gay rights... the first pride was a riot (stonewall riots) and helped to bring about more equality for the community. I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but people are hurting and haven't been listened to, so it's their last resort and it's finally working. The real fault lies with those who didn't listen to the peaceful protests.
Reply 13
Unfortunately people haven't listened to peaceful protests. Similar with gay rights... the first pride was a riot (stonewall riots) and helped to bring about more equality for the community. I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but people are hurting and haven't been listened to, so it's their last resort and it's finally working. The real fault lies with those who didn't listen to the peaceful protests.

BLM and gay rights are important, we all share the same amount of importance. But, I will never believe that vandalism is for the best. What the protesters did to Churchill’s statue was a ****ing disgrace, this was his home. What he said in the past wasn't right, but it was such a long time ago, so people need to stop being such drama Queens. Riots are only going to cause casualties, the police need to do more to stop them.
Original post by Braces
BLM and gay rights are important, we all share the same amount of importance. But, I will never believe that vandalism is for the best. What the protesters did to Churchill’s statue was a ****ing disgrace, this was his home. What he said in the past wasn't right, but it was such a long time ago, so people need to stop being such drama Queens. Riots are only going to cause casualties, the police need to do more to stop them.

To be honest, I'd rather someone vandalise something than more black people get wrongly jailed and/or killed etc. I don't agree with the violence but having watched the videos, often people supporting BLM are not the first to initiate it and are doing so in self defence. The anti-BML protests have been just as, if not more, violent - they are the true drama queens (trying to draw attention to themselves because for once the attention isn't on them and screaming the 'all lives matter' rubbish).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
To be honest, I'd rather someone vandalise something than more black people get wrongly jailed and/or killed etc. I don't agree with the violence but having watched the videos, often people supporting BLM are not the first to initiate it and are doing so in self defence. The anti-BML protests have been just as, if not more, violent - they are the true drama queens (trying to draw attention to themselves because for once the attention isn't on them and screaming the 'all lives matter' rubbish).

I believe in All Lives Matter, anyone who disagrees with this is clearly the true racist. Vandalism is never the answer, no matter who starts the fire. It is bad that black people are jailed or killed, but can't do the time, don't do the crime... Also, what about justice for Tony Timpa? I suppose his death doesn't count because he's white. This world never fails to disappoint me...
Original post by Braces
I believe in All Lives Matter, anyone who disagrees with this is clearly the true racist. Vandalism is never the answer, no matter who starts the fire. It is bad that black people are jailed or killed, but can't do the time, don't do the crime... Also, what about justice for Tony Timpa? I suppose his death doesn't count because he's white. This world never fails to disappoint me...

Yes all lives matter but that's not the focus right now...

Any death is a tragedy but sadly far more people are being killed because they are black or not white than white people being killed.

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes all lives matter but that's not the focus right now...

Any death is a tragedy but sadly far more people are being killed because they are black or not white than white people being killed.

I think anyone killed at the hands of someone else is sad. Race is irrelevant.
Original post by Braces
I think anyone killed at the hands of someone else is sad. Race is irrelevant.

Yes, but in many cases race isn't irrelevant because it's fuelling wrong prosecutions and deaths (e.g more black people get stopped and searched in proportion to how many crimes they commit).
I understand both points and agree with the fact that murder is wrong no matter who,what,where,when,why, etc. But yes, racial hate is seen to be the driving force for the numerous, countless stop and searches young black men (especially) face

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending