The Student Room Group

Learning Theories vs Learning Style

Hi everyone,

What's the difference between a learning theory and a learning style?

If they are to be the same then is it fair to say that Behaviourist and Experiential learning theories are actually learning styles?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Learning theories are the definitions essentially (behaviourism/constructivism/humanism) Moreno a psychological level.

Learning styles are the actual ways (VARK/ Honey Mumford).

Here’s two good books:
Learning Theories Simplified: ...and how to apply them to teaching https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1526459388/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rdu7EbJKCSMVC

Understanding and Using... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1526436612?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

(I’m a Sessional Theatre Arts Lecturer with a Post Secondary PCGE in Art, Design and Media and a First Class BA in Theatre Technologies. I’m about to study an MA in Inclusive Arts Practice)
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Learning theories are the definitions essentially (behaviourism/constructivism/humanism) Moreno a psychological level.

Learning styles are the actual ways (VARK/ Honey Mumford).

Here’s two good books:
Learning Theories Simplified: ...and how to apply them to teaching https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1526459388/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rdu7EbJKCSMVC

Understanding and Using... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1526436612?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

(I’m a Sessional Theatre Arts Lecturer with a Post Secondary PCGE in Art, Design and Media and a First Class BA in Theatre Technologies. I’m about to study an MA in Inclusive Arts Practice)

Thank you for the clarification! I have to answer an assignment question which is to evaluate my learning strengths and weaknesses in relation to a learning theory.

However, in the course study material have mentioned the behaviourist learning theory and expanded on classical conditioning and operant conditioning. The other theory that they have mentioned is the experiential learning theory, however they have then gone further to explain the Kolb's cycle, where they've said that Honey & Mumford and Kolb's cycle are related.

So in terms of answering the question, I'm a bit confused with what it's asking in the first place - sorry I know it sounds silly, but I'm a little lost.
Original post by xx_Ammmz_xx
Thank you for the clarification! I have to answer an assignment question which is to evaluate my learning strengths and weaknesses in relation to a learning theory.

However, in the course study material have mentioned the behaviourist learning theory and expanded on classical conditioning and operant conditioning. The other theory that they have mentioned is the experiential learning theory, however they have then gone further to explain the Kolb's cycle, where they've said that Honey & Mumford and Kolb's cycle are related.

So in terms of answering the question, I'm a bit confused with what it's asking in the first place - sorry I know it sounds silly, but I'm a little lost.

No problemo!

Here’s what I would say:
Do a VARK rest or a honey and Mumford to find out what type of learner you are

Write all your strengths and all your weaknesses (as many as you can)
Write down the pros and cons of behaviourist theories you are looking at
Match yours to the existing
Do the same for experiential learning too (worth looking at Gibbs and Kolb
Also see Geoff Petty teaching today book for how it can be applied in practice!
Good luck! :smile:
No problemo!

Here’s what I would say:
Do a VARK rest or a honey and Mumford to find out what type of learner you are

Write all your strengths and all your weaknesses (as many as you can)
Write down the pros and cons of behaviourist theories you are looking at
Match yours to the existing
Do the same for experiential learning too (worth looking at Gibbs and Kolb
Also see Geoff Petty teaching today book for how it can be applied in practice!
Good luck! :smile:

This is great, thank you!

So, would a VARK rest or a honey Mumford show me if I'm a behaviourist or a experiential learner? Sorry to ask, but why do I have to look back at the Kolb cycle and Honey Mumford when the questions on learning theories, about Behaviourists or Experiential theorists?
This is great, thank you!

So, would a VARK rest or a honey Mumford show me if I'm a behaviourist or a experiential learner? Sorry to ask, but why do I have to look back at the Kolb cycle and Honey Mumford when the questions on learning theories, about Behaviourists or Experiential theorists?

VARK is Visual, Aural, Read/Write or Kinaesthetic

Honey and Mumford is four stages (activist pragmatist theorist and reflector)

From these you should be able to pinpoint where you fit into Kolbs experimental cycle and what works for you (do all the stages fit you? Only some? What stages appeal to your strengths the most? What stages are challenging of experiential learning?)

You can then even consider behaviourism and how your learning style aligns with the features of behaviourism. Do you fit into a certain style of conditioning? Which ones appeal more?
Consider these Questions and you should have a clear idea of what type of learner you are :smile:
VARK is Visual, Aural, Read/Write or Kinaesthetic

Honey and Mumford is four stages (activist pragmatist theorist and reflector)

From these you should be able to pinpoint where you fit into Kolbs experimental cycle and what works for you (do all the stages fit you? Only some? What stages appeal to your strengths the most? What stages are challenging of experiential learning?)

You can then even consider behaviourism and how your learning style aligns with the features of behaviourism. Do you fit into a certain style of conditioning? Which ones appeal more?
Consider these Questions and you should have a clear idea of what type of learner you are :smile:

Ahh, I see what you mean now! Thank you, that makes a lot more sense :smile:

I'm about to do a Honey Mumford questionnaire and then I'll do the VARK test tomorrow.

Would you mind if I sent you a copy of this before I submit this? It may also be quite condensed because I'm only allowed 500 words. :smile:
Ahh, I see what you mean now! Thank you, that makes a lot more sense :smile:

I'm about to do a Honey Mumford questionnaire and then I'll do the VARK test tomorrow.

Would you mind if I sent you a copy of this before I submit this? It may also be quite condensed because I'm only allowed 500 words. :smile:

Give it a go! I’m sure you can do it! I can’t tell you if it’s right or wrong but if you stick to the facts and mention your learning style and how you fit with each theory then you’ll be okay!
Have fun and good luck with it!
Give it a go! I’m sure you can do it! I can’t tell you if it’s right or wrong but if you stick to the facts and mention your learning style and how you fit with each theory then you’ll be okay!
Have fun and good luck with it!

Awesome, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending