The Student Room Group

A-Level Help !!!!!

Hi, so I'm currently in year 11 wating for my GCSEs results and I'm not sure what to pick for my A-Levels. The A-Levels I have picked before..I have been told my family members not to as universities don't care for these A-Levels. I'm thinking of careers within the criminology and social field...any help???

Scroll to see replies

Law, sociology, psychology
Original post by meme teme
Hi, so I'm currently in year 11 wating for my GCSEs results and I'm not sure what to pick for my A-Levels. The A-Levels I have picked before..I have been told my family members not to as universities don't care for these A-Levels. I'm thinking of careers within the criminology and social field...any help???

Heya. What subjects are you good at? Phycology, sociology and criminology are standouts. I’d recommend having one or two facilitating subjects, or all rounder subjects that a lot of universities value, eg sciences, maths etc. Chemistry or biology would maybe be the best ones in your case. Pick subjects your passionate about, don’t do stuff just because they look good, you will regret it. It’s better to get a good grade in a ‘less valued’ subject than a rubbish grade in a ‘valued subject’
Reply 3
Original post by Laurence010401
Law, sociology, psychology

So I shouldn't pick criminology directly
Reply 4
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
Heya. What subjects are you good at? Phycology, sociology and criminology are standouts. I’d recommend having one or two facilitating subjects, or all rounder subjects that a lot of universities value, eg sciences, maths etc. Chemistry or biology would maybe be the best ones in your case. Pick subjects your passionate about, don’t do stuff just because they look good, you will regret it. It’s better to get a good grade in a ‘less valued’ subject than a rubbish grade in a ‘valued subject’

I really hate sciences, English maths..... is there anything else I can do which would be classed as an all rounder subject? Thank you for the advice.

You could - ideally, check the websites of degrees you would want to do, to make sure your combo would be acceptable. For example, the criminology BA at Middlesex only asks for 112 UCAS points, so any 3 A levels are fine! (https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/criminology)
I reckon if you look on some uni sites at their criminology and/or social support degrees, at what A-Levels they take, that'll help - for instance, UWE in Bristol doesn't ask for specific subjects at A-Level for criminology, it just wants 120 credits, so just pick some you think you'll do well at, and at least relatively enjoy - Loughborough has similar entry reqs in that it will offer a place for ABB but again, not for specific subjects. If you have any ideas where you'd want to go to uni (this is VERY early to think specifically about it!) then look on that site - I'd advise perhaps trying to do similar A Level subjects to criminology or anything within the social field :smile:

If a criminology a level exists then good for you :smile: it didn’t exist at my college
Anyway, if it exists, do that and 2 of the ones I said
Reply 8
If a criminology a level exists then good for you :smile: it didn’t exist at my college
Anyway, if it exists, do that and 2 of the ones I said

Thank you! But ive been told my many family members that I shouldn't even think of doing anything with in the Criminology field career wise..cos apparently its very hard finding a job within that field which has good pay. I probably need to do more research but thank you!
Thank you! But ive been told my many family members that I shouldn't even think of doing anything with in the Criminology field career wise..cos apparently its very hard finding a job within that field which has good pay. I probably need to do more research but thank you!

Would you rather do a depressing job with good pay or a job you enjoy that has less good pay?
Reply 10
Original post by becausethenight
You could - ideally, check the websites of degrees you would want to do, to make sure your combo would be acceptable. For example, the criminology BA at Middlesex only asks for 112 UCAS points, so any 3 A levels are fine! (https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/criminology)

Ah cool Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by IdioticApple
I reckon if you look on some uni sites at their criminology and/or social support degrees, at what A-Levels they take, that'll help - for instance, UWE in Bristol doesn't ask for specific subjects at A-Level for criminology, it just wants 120 credits, so just pick some you think you'll do well at, and at least relatively enjoy - Loughborough has similar entry reqs in that it will offer a place for ABB but again, not for specific subjects. If you have any ideas where you'd want to go to uni (this is VERY early to think specifically about it!) then look on that site - I'd advise perhaps trying to do similar A Level subjects to criminology or anything within the social field :smile:

Thanks! I need to do more research into it as im not fully sure i want to do criminology..but thanks!!
Psychology, sociology, criminology, English language, law would be top A levels for criminology. However, what do you enjoy? Do what you enjoy! Criminology doesn't require any specific A levels
Reply 13
Would you rather do a depressing job with good pay or a job you enjoy that has less good pay?

definitely a job that I enjoy! however I come from a family of people who have careers such as pilots, doctors, lawyers, barrister etc...and ive constantly been told not to work in the criminology field as the jobs are not as respected. I know that its my life and I should do a job which I enjoy...however if I do a job I enjoy..ive been told ill always be looked upon...yet if I do a job which my family thinks is suitable..ill never be happy!
definitely a job that I enjoy! however I come from a family of people who have careers such as pilots, doctors, lawyers, barrister etc...and ive constantly been told not to work in the criminology field as the jobs are not as respected. I know that its my life and I should do a job which I enjoy...however if I do a job I enjoy..ive been told ill always be looked upon...yet if I do a job which my family thinks is suitable..ill never be happy!

Whatever hypothetical job your family want you to have, they can take that job, and they can go and shove it up their arse
Reply 15
Original post by renaamz
Psychology, sociology, criminology, English language, law would be top A levels for criminology. However, what do you enjoy? Do what you enjoy! Criminology doesn't require any specific A levels

Honestly..im having second thoughts on criminology...can you recommend any A-levels apart from the academic subjects( English,maths and the sciences) which Universities look for?

Hi if God wills it I would be doing at university criminology and criminal justice . I’m in year 11 too and I’ve picked Spanish law psychology and sociology. I was going to pick criminology but it is a different level like btec so I didn’t
Reply 17
Whatever hypothetical job your family want you to have, they can take that job, and they can go and shove it up their arse

:smile:. I think im just going to research more and more and see what happens. Thanks!!
Reply 18
Original post by Nathalieb280
Hi if God wills it I would be doing at university criminology and criminal justice . I’m in year 11 too and I’ve picked Spanish law psychology and sociology. I was going to pick criminology but it is a different level like btec so I didn’t

Hey!
Minus the Spanish, I think im going to do the same A-Levels..just to keep my options open. Did you study Psychology at GCSE level?
Reply 19
I’d recommend taking one of these combinations:

1) Psychology, law and criminology
2) Philosophy, sociology and criminology

Essentially, think about including criminology and psychology while pairing it with one of the humanities. I don’t know if this would suit you specifically, but from what you have said this may work as a balance.

Quick Reply

Latest