The Student Room Group

Best drama schools with little experience

So I'm thinking of doing a diploma in acting/ MA when I finish my current degree. I'm in my uni's theatre society, I've been in some student films and done short courses at drama schools over the years - RCS/RADA etc. I have dance training, but I can't sing to save myself. I was hoping (over the time I had left at uni) to get involved in local theatre too and to get work as an extra.

Can anyone recommend any courses I should be considering?
If you want extra work then acting for screen is always a good bet!
Applied theatre arts too are always good!
There are lots of great courses and universities for MA courses

Contemporary theatre making is a hot topic right now so anything where you get to work with others in partnership projects is highly valuable!

Chichester
Guildhall
LSBU (I went here for my BA)
Rose Bruford
LIPA

Have fun and good luck in your theatre career!

(I’m a Sessional Theatre Arts Lecturer with a Post Secondary PCGE in Art, Design and Media and a BA in Theatre Technologies. I’m about to study an MA in Inclusive Arts Practice)
Original post by ClaudiaVan
If you want extra work then acting for screen is always a good bet!
Applied theatre arts too are always good!
There are lots of great courses and universities for MA courses

Contemporary theatre making is a hot topic right now so anything where you get to work with others in partnership projects is highly valuable!

Chichester
Guildhall
LSBU (I went here for my BA)
Rose Bruford
LIPA

Have fun and good luck in your theatre career!

(I’m a Sessional Theatre Arts Lecturer with a Post Secondary PCGE in Art, Design and Media and a BA in Theatre Technologies. I’m about to study an MA in Inclusive Arts Practice)

I'd love to do acting for screen - I think it would be amazing to work on TV productions, especially given how brilliant British TV is getting.

Thank you for the suggestions - Guildhall would be the absolute dream!! Realistically, though, another BA on top of what I have would be a bit pricey (I'm sure the student debt fear is very real for yourself as well!!). Also, do you think with my experience, schools that good would take me?

(Good luck with your MA!! :smile: )
Original post by gaborbogtree
I'd love to do acting for screen - I think it would be amazing to work on TV productions, especially given how brilliant British TV is getting.

Thank you for the suggestions - Guildhall would be the absolute dream!! Realistically, though, another BA on top of what I have would be a bit pricey (I'm sure the student debt fear is very real for yourself as well!!). Also, do you think with my experience, schools that good would take me?

Yes absolutely! Acting for screen or film is the way to go then :smile:

I think with your expereince and passion they will take you! You could also try doing something like play an instrument or dance
Anything you can do to become as much of a double or triple threat is highly sought after by drama schools! But you don’t necessarily need to go to a drama school either as some other universities offer great courses too at fractions of the cost!
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Yes absolutely! Acting for screen or film is the way to go then :smile:

I think with your expereince and passion they will take you! You could also try doing something like play an instrument or dance
Anything you can do to become as much of a double or triple threat is highly sought after by drama schools! But you don’t necessarily need to go to a drama school either as some other universities offer great courses too at fractions of the cost!

Amazing, thanks for your help!! An option could be to pop over some applications through UCAS to universities and do some stand alone applications to drama schools. Honestly never would have considered LIPA until you mentioned it. Checked it out and I actually tick a lot of boxes!? And also like you said, time is on my side to hone in on other skills such as music and dance. So thank you!! :smile:
Amazing, thanks for your help!! An option could be to pop over some applications through UCAS to universities and do some stand alone applications to drama schools. Honestly never would have considered LIPA until you mentioned it. Checked it out and I actually tick a lot of boxes!? And also like you said, time is on my side to hone in on other skills such as music and dance. So thank you!! :smile:

Not a problem! Enjoy!
So I'm thinking of doing a diploma in acting/ MA when I finish my current degree. I'm in my uni's theatre society, I've been in some student films and done short courses at drama schools over the years - RCS/RADA etc. I have dance training, but I can't sing to save myself. I was hoping (over the time I had left at uni) to get involved in local theatre too and to get work as an extra.

Can anyone recommend any courses I should be considering?

Hey @gaborbogtree! We have a couple of MA options that you might be interested in, we have an MA Performance: Theatre or Theatre Collectives within our Theatre department: https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-theatre/undergraduate/ma-performance-theatre-or-theatre-collectives and we have an MA Screen Acting within our Creative and Digital Technologies department (that is taught in a £35 million building!): https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-creative-digital-technologies/courses/ma-screen-acting

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by University of Chichester
Hey @gaborbogtree! We have a couple of MA options that you might be interested in, we have an MA Performance: Theatre or Theatre Collectives within our Theatre department: https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-theatre/undergraduate/ma-performance-theatre-or-theatre-collectives and we have an MA Screen Acting within our Creative and Digital Technologies department (that is taught in a £35 million building!): https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-creative-digital-technologies/courses/ma-screen-acting

I can vouch for Chichester too! Fab facilities and great staff! I live in the next town along (Worthing) and know many who have gone to Chichester Uni to do theatre!
Original post by University of Chichester

Hi! Thank you for reaching out.

If you don't mind, how might one strengthen an application to the screen acting course? It looks fabulous!!
Hi! Thank you for reaching out.

If you don't mind, how might one strengthen an application to the screen acting course? It looks fabulous!!

Hi @gaborbogtree! We are currently running a Virtual Open Day that has a live chat option from now until 4pm, there are Screen Acting lecturers on this page if you wanted to talk to them directly? They'll be happy to help you and talk through the course! You can register here: openday.chi.ac.uk and then go to the Creative and Digital Technologies subject area page and your live chat will go directly to the team :smile:

Alternatively, our lovely admissions team will be more than happy to talk you through your application and the best things to include, they can be contacted on [email protected] or 01243916002!

You should also bear in mind that Guildhall's MA - which is three years and shares classes with the BA course - is extremely competitive, admitting only 3 people per year. However, it's one of the 'holy trifecta', if you will, of UK drama schools alongside RADA and LAMDA, so it's worth applying if you can find the funds :smile:
Original post by Daisy02
You should also bear in mind that Guildhall's MA - which is three years and shares classes with the BA course - is extremely competitive, admitting only 3 people per year. However, it's one of the 'holy trifecta', if you will, of UK drama schools alongside RADA and LAMDA, so it's worth applying if you can find the funds :smile:

Would you say then, it might be worth applying to the BA instead? Far as I can tell, the fees/ content are pretty similar anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending