The Student Room Group

GCSE Predicted Grades

(edited 3 years ago)
Do you mean the ones you get from the start of whatever year you’re doing it from or the ones you get from your mocks?
-------------------------predicted--------------------------mock--------------------------------real
Eng lit-------------------6-------------------------------------7-------------------------------------7
Eng lang----------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------8 (one mark off a 9...)
Maths--------------------8------------------------------------7--------------------------------------8
Science------------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------9 (all science in the same so i put it as one)
DT-------------------------A------------------------------------A-------------------------------------A
PE-------------------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------6 (I really hated PE)
French--------------------7-------------------------------------6-------------------------------------8
RE-------------------------7-------------------------------------7--------------------------------------8
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by redmeercat
-------------------------predicted--------------------------mock--------------------------------real
Eng lit-------------------6-------------------------------------7-------------------------------------7
Eng lang----------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------8 (one mark off a 9 - I'm still annoyed)
Maths--------------------8------------------------------------7--------------------------------------8
Science------------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------9 (all science in the same so i put it as one)
DT-------------------------A------------------------------------A-------------------------------------A
PE-------------------------7------------------------------------6--------------------------------------6 (I really hated PE)
French--------------------7-------------------------------------6-------------------------------------8
RE-------------------------7-------------------------------------7--------------------------------------8

it just goes to show how mocks arent the end of the world:smile::wink:
My GCSE predicted grades were relatively similar to my actual results. But the thing you need to watch out for is MOCKS. In my mocks, some of my better subjects had better results. E.g I got a 9 in English Language and History. So I thought I would be okay and I didn't revise them as much. This led to me getting two grades lower than in my mocks. With Drama however I got a 4 and then studied really hard, and in my real results I got an 8. So the trick is to just revisit everything and don't just assume you'll pass something if you did well in your mocks. Also an essential piece of advice I can give you is to not go overboard on revision for your mocks. I did this and totally burned out by March - I just felt totally unmotivated!!
Original post by Rolo1234

Exactly... you haven't had much time to revise, you haven't finished the content, and you haven't got the adrenaline which also helps in real exams. They're motivation to start working, not representative of possibility. What I also like about my grades is that they show what effort does - I really, really struggled with Science, but put a lot of effort in. On the other hand, I didn't find PE very difficult, but my class was challenging and so I hated it, didn't revise and you can see the difference. No grade is bad, as long as you work for it.
Reply 6
Original post by Rolo1234

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
I work at an 'Outstanding' school so we're meant to know what we're doing but the teachers aren't great at getting predicted grades right. That seems to be common to most schools.
SUBJECT / PREDICTED / MOCK / WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS CAPABLE OF / ACTUAL GRADE
Media Studies - C / C / A / A
ICT - C / D / B / B
English Language - 7 / 9 (full marks) / 9/ 8 (2 marks off 9 and I knew I was capable as P1 I got 64/80 but they had to guess my paper 2 grade which would have been in the low 70s it was my strongest paper)
English Literature - U / 3 / 7 / 7
Maths - 6 / 5 / 6 / 5 (just didn't answer easy question - a mark off)
Core Science - D / U / D / C
Chemistry - U / U / U / 4
Religious Studies (Short Course) - c / d / a / a
Religious Studies - 7 / 7 / 8 / 5 (one of my papers went missing which was worth 50% and was the strongest paper)
Statistics - E / C / B / B

So I was predicted 76CCC3dEUU (one A, a B, 3 Cs, 2 D, an E and 2 Us) and ended up with 87AaBBC54 (an A*, 3 As, 2 Bs and 3 Cs)

So they were very off, really mean nothing! For my Sixth Form I told them that I thought their predictions were wrong for me and the only one I got wrong was RS
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
I would say if your teachers are good and fair then yes predicted grades and actual grades are about correct as long as you put in the work for it... I was predicted 7x grade 8s and 3x grade 9s and achieved 2x grade 8s and 8x grade 9s
My predicted was based on my sats so they weren’t really accurate so yeah. However my mocks vs my GCSEs grades were accurate in terms of progression and which ones were my strongest and weakest:

Mocks | Actual grade:
English Literature: 7 |6
English Language: 5/6 | 6
Maths: 8 | 8
French: 5 | 7
R.E: 8 | 9
Combined science: 7-9 (graded separately) | 8-8 (weird grade boundaries)
Art: 7 | 8
History: 6 | 8
D.T: 2 | 8 (lol this was a huge gap like)

Tbh my school grades harshly so mocks seems about right (expect D.T and french - those were my actual representation of hard work like)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by PetitePanda
Do you mean the ones you get from the start of whatever year you’re doing it from or the ones you get from your mocks?

I mean the ones you get from your mocks
My predicted gcse grades that I got from the start of year 7 and all throughout were;
English lit- 5
English Lang-5
Biology-4
Chemistry-4
Physics-4
History-6
Rs-6
Maths-5
Business-6

But what I actually got:
English lit-9
English Lang-7
Biology-7
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
History-8
Rs-9
Maths-7
Business-7
So it just goes to show that they’re not completely accurate at all
Don’t focus on your predicted grades unless they actually motivate you to work harder
In some sense they were correct in suggesting I wouldn’t get all 9s but it just shows they don’t define you at all
And in fact,having lower predicted grades motivated me to prove everyone wrong and myself wrong
Well I failed everything so...
my school bases predictions from SATS so even though I've been top in English lit in my school for years grade wise i am only predicted a 6 in my GCSEs so i am really worried about the grades i will get since GCSEs will be cancelled. My best subjects are predicted low and this worries me even more about weaker areas since i need a very high point score to get into the sixth form i want to go to!!!
Original post by lemonicedT
my school bases predictions from SATS so even though I've been top in English lit in my school for years grade wise i am only predicted a 6 in my GCSEs so i am really worried about the grades i will get since GCSEs will be cancelled. My best subjects are predicted low and this worries me even more about weaker areas since i need a very high point score to get into the sixth form i want to go to!!!

That sounds like targets not predictions. Schools use targets based on KS2 SATS as the government measures schools on how well students progress from KS2 SATS. Predictions are what the school thinks you will actually get and can be completely different.
Original post by Compost
That sounds like targets not predictions. Schools use targets based on KS2 SATS as the government measures schools on how well students progress from KS2 SATS. Predictions are what the school thinks you will actually get and can be completely different.

hi, thanks! i thought that too but on some reports it says target and other predicted using the same grades and basis so i am really confused! i hope its just the school being confusing.
Predicted / actual grade
English language 6/7
Maths 9/7 (don’t ask, I’m shocked too)
Combined science 4-4/8-8
Sport 9/9
Business 9/9
English lit 5/7
Geography 4/4
Computing n/a😂
(Top set student)

Quick Reply

Latest