The Student Room Group

Harry Potter actors turn against J.K Rowling

Laurence Fox calls Harry Potter stars ‘spoiled millionaires’ for turning against JK Rowling in trans row.

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint all publicly disagreed with Rowling’s recent comments on transgender issues.

Laurence Fox has criticised stars of the Harry Potter franchise who turned against JK Rowling for her comments about transgender issues.

Rowling has caused a great deal of controversy in recent days, after appearing to take issue with a headline about “people who menstruate”.

Following a backlash in which she was accused of being transphobic, Rowling then wrote a 3,700-word article on her website explaining that she was a survivor of sexual assault, which is what helped convince her of the need to maintain women-only spaces.

She also argued that biological sex is meaningful and claimed sections of the trans community are “seeking to erode women as a political and biological class”

Her essay was not supported by Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson or Rupert Grint, who all rose to fame through their roles in the Harry Potter films.

Personally, I believe they were wrong to turn their backs on her, as without Harry Potter, they wouldn't even be famous.

1592655253743.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

their not being spoilt they're standing up for kindness and acceptance
Reply 2
My only thoughts are, **** all of them, I hope they keep tearing each other to shreds.
Reply 3
Original post by josie71202

Acceptance is vital, but they should remember never to bite the hand that fed them. Without Harry Potter, they'd be normal civilians. Although Daniel Radcliffe did star in a few different titles before stepping in the role of Harry Potter.
Original post by Braces
Acceptance is vital, but they should remember never to bite the hand that fed them. Without Harry Potter, they'd be normal civilians. Although Daniel Radcliffe did star in a few different titles before stepping in the role of Harry Potter.

true
if they are genuinely rejecting JKR they should donate all their earnings from her work to deserving charities.
Jk Rowling cancelled for for... for having a different opinion 😳. How ****ing dare she, let’s cancel her and call her a ****, a TERF and other insults. How dare she dare utter a different opinion, instead of discussing it let’s call her transphobic and cry and vow never to read her books again. I respect her more for giving her honest opinion, not one of these bull**** ones that big celebrities spout so they don’t get cancelled, so they don’t get abused by the far-left twitter mobs.

Fair play for speaking your mind, as I said I respect her more but unfortunately this is what celebrities have to deal with now. Go with the flow, go with the mob opinion, or you’re done for. What a ****ing state of a world we live in, I like Laurence Fox too, he’s got a good point.
Disagreeing with someone’s comments isn’t necessarily turning your back on someone, they don’t have to agree on everything. Rowling is very good friends with Radcliffe, Watson and Grint, I doubt this has irreparably broken their friendship, and it’s something that’ll be forgotten about in a few months time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
It's the central theme to public life and even these forums these days, people wanting to suppress other people's opinions. Ban them, defund them, gag them, silence them, intern them, they're the new gulags. It's terrible to see people bite the hand that fed them only because they are so terrorised at the consequences of not doing so, the extent this has reached has even surprised me. It was always there but this is even worse than previously thought, there's no corner in society left immune to this leftist virus that will use anybody as an excuse to destroy the democratic world.
Reply 9
Original post by z-hog
It's the central theme to public life and even these forums these days, people wanting to suppress other people's opinions. Ban them, defund them, gag them, silence them, intern them, they're the new gulags. It's terrible to see people bite the hand that fed them only because they are so terrorised at the consequences of not doing so, the extent this has reached has even surprised me. It was always there but this is even worse than previously thought, there's no corner in society left immune to this leftist virus that will use anybody as an excuse to destroy the democratic world.

And all this silencing, gagging, and no platforming is ironically done in the name of tolerance and acceptance. But as I keep telling people, tolerance and acceptance also means the acceptance that other people might have different opinions about stuff than you do. The fact that JKR is outspoken on trans issues doesn't make her a bad person. If you don't agree with what she says, by all means challenge her argument, but there's absolutely no need for the vile abuse she's getting right now. Would those people be happy for the same abuse to be levelled at them?
Reply 10

By saying she shouldnt be allowed to hold an opinion? Seems they're being rather spoilt from where one is sitting.
Original post by Napp
By saying she shouldnt be allowed to hold an opinion?

Where'd they do that? Are they not allowed an opinion on her opinion?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by the beer
Where'd they do that? Are they not allowed an opinion on her opinion?

They are. but some of the abuse she's been getting goes way beyond people just "having an opinion" on what she's said. People need to realize that in a country of 66 million people, and a planet of about 8 billion, you're often going to come across people who have different views than you. It doesn't make them wrong, or bad people. I think people are losing sight of that.
Original post by Napp
By saying she shouldnt be allowed to hold an opinion? Seems they're being rather spoilt from where one is sitting.

she's allowed her opinion however she can be called an arse for that opinion
Reply 14
she's allowed her opinion however she can be called an arse for that opinion

Name calling isn't a very nice way to behave to others though, is it? If you don't like her argument then you can challenge it, but I don't see why the need to get personal?
Original post by JWatch
Name calling isn't a very nice way to behave to others though, is it? If you don't like her argument then you can challenge it, but I don't see why the need to get personal?

it's not me calling her names and I believe in structured arguments
Just more virtue signalling to see here. Nothing out of the ordinary. Heaven forbid anyone have a different view. Might as well have tweeted ‘insert here what ever makes me seem tolerant’
Reply 17
it's not me calling her names and I believe in structured arguments

So you don't think she should be called an arse for her views?
Original post by JWatch
So you don't think she should be called an arse for her views?

I think she should but someone should give reasons why. I'm just explaining free speech
Reply 19
I think she should

But why? Why do people need to resort to personal attacks over a difference of opinion?

Latest

Trending

Trending