The Student Room Group

Medicine with foundation year 2021 entry

Hello everyone, my name is Jessica and I’m currently in year 12 studying Btec level 3 applied science. I don’t know anyone studying the same course as me who is looking into studying med with foundation year. I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss and share our thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

hello
Original post by Emmanuel Akunda
hello

Hello, are you planning on applying to med with foundation year courses this year ?
Reply 3
Put your subjects studied and predicted grades
hello everyone, I have a query about foundation year medicine. I am thinking to apply for foundation year medicine at any university this year. I am studying chemistry, biology, physics, and Alevel Urdu. I have predicted ABB in the science subject and an A* in language. also, I am studying in a school that has very poor A level results and is listed on the list of schools that is deprived nationally. could you help me with this??

I would be very glad.
Original post by qasimjalil423
hello everyone, I have a query about foundation year medicine. I am thinking to apply for foundation year medicine at any university this year. I am studying chemistry, biology, physics, and Alevel Urdu. I have predicted ABB in the science subject and an A* in language. also, I am studying in a school that has very poor A level results and is listed on the list of schools that is deprived nationally. could you help me with this??

I would be very glad.

Check on the university websites whether you meet the contextual entry requirements aswell as the academic requirements.
There are quite a few unis that do medicine with foundation year
After the first year, year 0 , do you need to get AAA anways? or do you just have to pass the year? how does it work
Thanks for your reply, I definitely meet this criteria, however I was told the foundation year is sort of a scam, e,g you will need to get the AAA they ask for if you were just applying for medicine after the end of the year.
In 6 years time you would've completed the degree right? and then the training. How competitive are they? is it a really low chance to get in, I have had a lot of personal issues but I am determined to study medicine,
Reply 9
Original post by Mckailer
Hi there!

Applied: 08/10/2019
ABB (Biology, Chemistry, English Literature)
766B44CCC (Extenuating Circumstances)
2410 Band 2
BMAT: 3.8 3.7 3A

Southampton/ A102
Date: 09/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 11/02/2020 | Reply: Interview invite (Turned Down)

FIRM CHOICE
HYMS/ A101 (Next Step York)
Date: 10/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 11/11/2019 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 30/01/2020 | Reply: Offer

INSURANCE CHOICE
Plymouth/ A102
Date: 12/11/2019 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 04/02/2020 | Reply: Offer

Leeds/ A100 (Access to Leeds)
Date: 17/01/2020 | Reply: (Pre-interview) Rejection

UCLan/ BB96 (Physician Associate)
Date: 08/10/2019 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 25/02/2020 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 12/05/2020 | Reply: Offer

How about yourself, what are your stats and where are you applying to?:smile:

Hey sorry I just saw this post and I know I’m 10 months late lol but can I just ask how we’re you able to write your school as extenuating circumstances?? I have practically the same gcses and all the med applicants I see have majority 8s and 9s. My gcse school is currently under special measures, grade 4 on Ofsted and failed every inspection since😂 also only 22% of my year group got 5 or above in english Lang and/or maths so do you think I’m eligible?? Also who do I speak to to make that change for me, would it have to be teachers at my current school now ?? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by elitest
Hey sorry I just saw this post and I know I’m 10 months late lol but can I just ask how we’re you able to write your school as extenuating circumstances?? I have practically the same gcses and all the med applicants I see have majority 8s and 9s. My gcse school is currently under special measures, grade 4 on Ofsted and failed every inspection since😂 also only 22% of my year group got 5 or above in english Lang and/or maths so do you think I’m eligible?? Also who do I speak to to make that change for me, would it have to be teachers at my current school now ?? Thanks! :smile:

Hi there, I can definitely relate to your circumstances, the programme in which I completed my GCSE's on was BAD too, believe it or not, I got the best grades out of my entire division - I think that says enough about the quality of teaching there. However, I also had health issues previous to completing my GCSE's which was the main bit of my extenuating circumstances.

In terms of how I flagged up my extenuating circumstances to universities, I spoke to my College's Careers advisor about it who then put a note on the college system flagging up my extenuating circumstances. I also spoke in length to the tutor who was writing my reference who made sure to go into great detail about it in my school reference. I also very briefly talked about in my PS - however making sure to link it into why I would be a good medical student, i.e. being able to overcome barriers.

I believe that some medical schools have policies where you have to send them an email or fill out a form for extenuating circumstances before a certain deadline. E.g. for Leeds I filled in an Access to Leeds statement where I outlined why I was entitled to be considered under special circumstances.
However, if you're ever in doubt talk to your UCAS advisor about this or even better ring up the university and ask what their policy is.:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Mckailer
Hi there, I can definitely relate to your circumstances, the programme in which I completed my GCSE's on was BAD too, believe it or not, I got the best grades out of my entire division - I think that says enough about the quality of teaching there. However, I also had health issues previous to completing my GCSE's which was the main bit of my extenuating circumstances.

In terms of how I flagged up my extenuating circumstances to universities, I spoke to my College's Careers advisor about it who then put a note on the college system flagging up my extenuating circumstances. I also spoke in length to the tutor who was writing my reference who made sure to go into great detail about it in my school reference. I also very briefly talked about in my PS - however making sure to link it into why I would be a good medical student, i.e. being able to overcome barriers.

I believe that some medical schools have policies where you have to send them an email or fill out a form for extenuating circumstances before a certain deadline. E.g. for Leeds I filled in an Access to Leeds statement where I outlined why I was entitled to be considered under special circumstances.
However, if you're ever in doubt talk to your UCAS advisor about this or even better ring up the university and ask what their policy is.:smile:

Okay thank you so much! I was also in the top 5% of my year group lol. I’ll first speak to my UCAS advisor at my current school and see what they say. I have heard of one other person before who used their school as an extenuating circumstance and they now go to Cambridge but you’re the first person I hear for med!! Do you think I should mention the overcoming barriers and resilience sort of thing in my personal statement ??
Thank you so much for your help btw I appreciate it :smile:
Original post by elitest
Okay thank you so much! I was also in the top 5% of my year group lol. I’ll first speak to my UCAS advisor at my current school and see what they say. I have heard of one other person before who used their school as an extenuating circumstance and they now go to Cambridge but you’re the first person I hear for med!! Do you think I should mention the overcoming barriers and resilience sort of thing in my personal statement ??

Definitely mention the barriers that you have had to overcome to apply for medicine and the resilience that you have in turn gained from it, however, make sure as with anything else in your personal statement, that you link it into how it will make you a good medical student/ future doctor. Reflection, reflection, reflection!
Reply 13
Original post by elitest

The school you attend is normally considered a contextual flag, though it does sometimes count for one of the criteria for WP. It is not usually considered an extenuating circumstance, per se, that is usually somthing like ill health, bereavement, having to change schools at a critical time, etc.
Contextual flags do usually result in things like a lower cut off for interview, GCSE grades being enhanced, as do WP flags. Ex Circs can result in this, but unis often say these should have been taken into account by the exam board when you sat your exams, so they have to be significant for them to be taken into account.
Your reference needs to mention your change of schools and the prev schools poor performance (and preferably the potential they can see for your A level results), plus you need to be sure to be clear which school you took your GCSEs at, as many med schools just extract this info from the UCAS form (some applicants do not even realise they have been score as a contextual until they get a lower offer). Oxbridge are very particular about contextualising an applicants results, so somebody doing less well in a poorly performing school may score more than somebody doing better, but from a top performing school
Reply 14
would you say that foundation courses for medicine are more competitive than the 5 year course? thanks xoxo
For The University of Manchester, the alternative entry requirements for 6 years Medicine for Pearson BTEC qualifications are different to what I'm studying at college currently, so I wanted to know if Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is same as Level 3 National Foundation Diploma?
Original post by jessicaoxxi
Hello everyone, my name is Jessica and I’m currently in year 12 studying Btec level 3 applied science. I don’t know anyone studying the same course as me who is looking into studying med with foundation year. I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss and share our thoughts.

Hi, I'm Manahil I'm doing a mixture of A levels and BTECs. I want to apply for med with foundation year too, but I'm still quite apprehensive of doing this because I don't meet the entry requirements for the actual Medicine course, but hope that I can somehow still be able to study this in future.
Original post by MinnieKTH
Hi, I'm Manahil I'm doing a mixture of A levels and BTECs. I want to apply for med with foundation year too, but I'm still quite apprehensive of doing this because I don't meet the entry requirements for the actual Medicine course, but hope that I can somehow still be able to study this in future.

Hey!
What subjects are you studying? As long as you meet the academic & contextual entry requirements for the medicine with foundation year courses then that’s fine . There’s quite a few unis that accept Btec with alevels for med with foundation year .
Okay so I currently have MMP in engineering due to this insane btec who think someone who is predicted DMM should get MMP but regardless , this qualification is in engineering and I want to go into a Medical science realated degree, I want a degree that would allow me to enter post grad medicine or allow me to work as a medical researcher.

I have currently tried,

Applied Medical Sci with foundation at swansea .... and I was basically rejected

Clinical Sci/Medicine foundation year at Bradford and was rejected.

the thing that is the most annoying is the fact I got a horrendous 3-3 in sci at gcse which was due to sickness. (I know it sounds like im full of excuses lol)

but do you guys know of any courses that fit me? All I want is a course which will allow me (If i wanted) to enter either grad medicine or allow me to work as a researcher.

it's annoying that I was so close on getting a offer at swansea as that sounded like my ideal course
Reply 19
I am apply for foundation year medicine but one of the criteria’s is to live in a certain postcode which I do now however I’m moving in November ( after my application has been sent in ) will this affect my eligibility ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending