The Student Room Group

Favourite Greek God/Goddess?

Who are your favourite ones?
Who are your least favourite ones?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Not sure about my favourite one but my least favourites are Zeus and Hera :dry:
Dionysus is a good laugh.
I'm quite a fan of Athena to be honest. Though I think Hestia and Demeter are both underrated.
Original post by 04MR17
Dionysus is a good laugh.
I'm quite a fan of Athena to be honest. Though I think Hestia and Demeter are both underrated.

I'm not really sure about Athena as she is very vengeful and cruel at times especially with Medusa
Original post by SuperiorPotato
I'm not really sure about Athena as she is very vengeful and cruel at times especially with Medusa
Aren't we all though? :dontknow: Do the Greek's just reflect their own virtues and vices into the deities they worship?

:moon:
Original post by 04MR17
Aren't we all though? :dontknow: Do the Greek's just reflect their own virtues and vices into the deities they worship?

:moon:

Hm that is very true
I quite like Apollo too :awesome:
Reply 7
Athene is a bit cold. Cool nonetheless

Bacchus is weird but hey, who can’t like it 😂
Original post by Nevi
Athene is a bit cold. Cool nonetheless

Bacchus is weird but hey, who can’t like it 😂

Isn't Bacchus the Roman version of Dionysus :colondollar:
🌺~• a t h e n a •~🌺
Reply 10
Isn't Bacchus the Roman version of Dionysus :colondollar:

It was another name for him in Greek that the Romans later adopted. The cult of Bacchus that was associated mainly with the Romans actually came from minor cult behaviour in Greek Italy.

Its like how people tell me I spell Athene wrong. I don’t haha. Thats how its Homerically spelt. I didn’t want to adopt the American version 😂
Original post by Nevi
It was another name for him in Greek that the Romans later adopted. The cult of Bacchus that was associated mainly with the Romans actually came from minor cult behaviour in Greek Italy.

Its like how people tell me I spell Athene wrong. I don’t haha. Thats how its Homerically spelt. I didn’t want to adopt the American version 😂

Oh wow I didn't know that :s-smilie: Tbh the Romans did practically copy everything from the Greeks when it comes to their Gods :lol: so not surprised.
Oh wow I didn't know that :s-smilie: Tbh the Romans did practically copy everything from the Greeks when it comes to their Gods :lol: so not surprised.

Except the Romans added plenty of minor gods, like Terminus.

I love Terminus.
Reply 13

Literally.

And then Augustus would justify it all through Virgil’s Aeneid. If the Greeks and the Romans share a common ancestor in their history surely the Romans are meant to be celebrating the Greco-Roman gods in that way 😂
Athena and Apollo
Who are your favourite ones?
Who are your least favourite ones?

:smile:

Apollo and Selene are my favourites
Persephone and Athena.
My mum used to tell me about Persephone and the pomegranate seeds 😊
It's a toss up between Oizys (god of misery, anxiety, grief, and depression) and Aergia (god of sloth, idleness, indolence and laziness).
Top 3 favourite (no particular order) would probably be Apollo, Poseidon, and Zeus
Reply 19
dionysus because of his ale habit

Quick Reply

Latest