The Student Room Group

I'm a Y10 and I'm depressed about school already.

I'm anxious and depressed about school because I just feel like it's a neverending stress. I've got GCSEs, then AS levels, A-Levels, university tests and then a job...

Like there's so many societal expectations on us students to do well, it's just mentally crippling. I'm quite the studious type and want to study Law at a Russell Group uni, but just the amount of content I have to learn for GCSE atm is enough to demotivate me. Maybe I'm just too hard on myself because of my fear of failure.

Do any current/past GCSE students have any tips so I can deal with stress better? Hope this post wasn't tl;dr.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm anxious and depressed about school because I just feel like it's a neverending stress. I've got GCSEs, then AS levels, A-Levels, university tests and then a job...

Like there's so many societal expectations on us students to do well, it's just mentally crippling. I'm quite the studious type and want to study Law at a Russell Group uni, but just the amount of content I have to learn for GCSE atm is enough to demotivate me. Maybe I'm just too hard on myself because of my fear of failure.

Do any current/past GCSE students have any tips so I can deal with stress better? Hope this post wasn't tl;dr.

I haven't cracked that one yet but if it's any consolation you don't have to do AS-levels in England.
No I'm a fellow Year 10 student and I understand where you're coming from it feels very overwhelming
Original post by Daveological
I haven't cracked that one yet but if it's any consolation you don't have to do AS-levels in England.

Yep but exams are linear so you are testing on several modules within a paper. I'd rather sit my exams in Wales or Northern Ireland tbh.
Probably not gonna be too much help but ive learned that downtime is so important - its not what you want to hear but its real. i used to cram and cram and id get upset about stupid things like not having time to answer snaps or watch tv or eat without being sat in front of my laptop, but it wasnt for good. i was so stressed nothing was going in and i started to relax more (still work of course) but i let myself break more and id email my teachers more, i got a few deadlines extended and more respect earned so they knew they can trust me and that is important. don't let it break you though pleasethese are the best years of your life -enjoy them.
Original post by 1st superstar
Yep but exams are linear so you are testing on several modules within a paper. I'd rather sit my exams in Wales or Northern Ireland tbh.

Not as good as I thought then :s-smilie:
focus on struggle areas and do past papers for revision. GCSEs aren't too bad exam wise so you try not to go overboard on revision and relax as much as possible (which can be hard cause you feel you should be doing somit!)

alevels has alot more focus on your subjects and as long as you enjoy these it should lessen the slog of learning it all! as levels also are not compulsory in most 6th forms (dunno about colleges but check where ou going) unless they think it'd benefit you to sit it! can't comment on much else yet as I've just finished alevels! but good luck at gcse :smile:)

Trust me, I've been there. I know it's super hard and that you're extremely stressed right now, but since you are the studious type don't worry. Easier said than done, I know.

Since you're in year 10, I can assure you that you have plenty of time to study/revise. If you get too anxious, I recommend making a daily schedule and allocate a healthy amount of time to study. Emphasizing on healthy because if you get too carried away, it'll take a toll on your mental health. Have some time off each day. Make sure you're talking daily to people who make you feel positive and keep you motivated, whether they're your friends, siblings, teachers or even your parents. Reach out for help from your teachers if you don't understand a concept or need more time.

You should revise daily and do past papers too, the more you do them the more you'll be familiar with the questions.

GCSEs are not as bad as you think they will be! Just try your best and I assure you that that's enough. Try not to put yourself down, I know you can do this! Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 8
It seems like loads of pressure but you’ve got to remember it won’t last forever :h:
Reply 9
I was literally the exact same in Year 10 and even wanted to study Law at a Russell Group uni! I’m technically a Y11 now but I go to college in September and, unlike what I expected, I am really excited for it. I think you will get some clarity and sense of reassurance as you go through the next school year and things will become much clearer to you. I’d just say make sure you don’t force yourself into something you don’t enjoy just because it was your aspiration at one point. That being said, if it is your goal and it remains as your goal then go for it and be confident in your ability and your motivation (half of the battle is having the determination to make sure you succeed). Maybe make your revision preparation now so that Y11 is less stressful and don’t be afraid to talk to people in your year group or around your age (you’ll be surprised how many people are feeling the same). Your GCSE results are just a key to another door and, as I have realised over the past month or so, they are nothing more than something to get to the next level so don’t be too disheartened if things do not go as you always expect. People on here are always happy to talk too if you ever want to and remember to have faith in yourself and your abilities!
Reply 10
You are good student, do you study well enough?
You know what-I tottaly feel you-but stress is an inevitable part of our life.There is always gonna be stress and you need to learn how to handle it-here are my tips:
1)Whenever your feel stressed make yourself a hot drink like hot chocolate or tea
2)Take a break-do some excersize or listen to music
3)Decorate your room in your style so whenever you see it and you sit in your bed you feel safe(its weird I know!!)
4)Read The subtle art of not giving a fck by mark manson-a non nosense hilarious guide to life
5)I'm on pm if u need more help :smile:
Thanks for all your replies guys!
I don't come on TSR that often, so sorry this is a week later lol.
I do enjoy downtime like many of you suggested, and I have hobbies like singing/songwriting, dancing, creative writing, reading and listening to music.
But I think I'm feeling better now than when I made this thread bc Ofqual has announced that the gcses next year are going to be changed to suit the fact that all y10 students are at a disadvantage now due to covid.
As for what degree I want to do, I'm looking at either English and Spanish or Law and Spanish. But it's a while before any decisions have to be made so I'm not stressing much.
:smile:

i handled stress awfully over Y10,11 and 12 so badly that the school repeatedly phoned my mum as I was breaking down in nearly every lesson (I was the nightmare child.)

What I learnt is that you don’t need to feel that way and it’s actually that stress that is limiting you.

It got to the point where I was told I shouldn’t do the career I wanted to do. That was the breaking point. I realised screw this. I then stopped working for a month, nothing imploded. Then I started completeing my tasks when I got them and revising on a schedule all working my self plenty of time to relax one evenings and see friends on weekends and my grades jumped from E’s and D’s to A*, A and B’s (at a level).

It’s about finding the balance and once you let some stuff go you will do better as you won’t get in your own way (sorry if this isn’t so relevant I went off on a bit of a rant!)
Reply 14
I’m a Final Year Law student due to start a Masters this year. My mental health started to decline around Year 10 too.
The pressure is immense when you commence GCSEs, especially given the current employment climate post-study.
Through going through terrible mental health years however, I’ve learned to take in other things beyond study.
Days where you can expand on your hobbies are just as important as study days, the same with moments with friends or family, through fighting against the guilt of “needing” to study.

I should have gone to the doctors when I first noticed my mood declining and I didn’t.
My main point of advice would be to seek out help as soon as you can so it doesn’t get into a danger zone further down the line.

Original post by flamingolover
i handled stress awfully over Y10,11 and 12 so badly that the school repeatedly phoned my mum as I was breaking down in nearly every lesson (I was the nightmare child.)

What I learnt is that you don’t need to feel that way and it’s actually that stress that is limiting you.

It got to the point where I was told I shouldn’t do the career I wanted to do. That was the breaking point. I realised screw this. I then stopped working for a month, nothing imploded. Then I started completeing my tasks when I got them and revising on a schedule all working my self plenty of time to relax one evenings and see friends on weekends and my grades jumped from E’s and D’s to A*, A and B’s (at a level).

It’s about finding the balance and once you let some stuff go you will do better as you won’t get in your own way (sorry if this isn’t so relevant I went off on a bit of a rant!)

You're right, stress (and any other negative emotions) prevent us from achieving our goals. Sorry to hear about your exam stress - I hope you're coping with it better now :smile:
I study a Masters degree at a Russel Group university in a STEM subject and have a nice graduate job lined up and honestly mate all I ever needed to get here at GCSE level was a B in maths and 4 C grades. Getting stressed out and worked up trying to get A grades rather than B grades in subjects like citizenship and media studies was all a pointless excersise. Should have spent the time having a life - actually have some memories to recall or experiences to learn from.
Original post by LS1998
I’m a Final Year Law student due to start a Masters this year. My mental health started to decline around Year 10 too.
The pressure is immense when you commence GCSEs, especially given the current employment climate post-study.
Through going through terrible mental health years however, I’ve learned to take in other things beyond study.
Days where you can expand on your hobbies are just as important as study days, the same with moments with friends or family, through fighting against the guilt of “needing” to study.

I should have gone to the doctors when I first noticed my mood declining and I didn’t.
My main point of advice would be to seek out help as soon as you can so it doesn’t get into a danger zone further down the line.

Thanks for the advice. Could you tell me a bit about what doing a Law degree is like, please? Bc I'm not sure if it's what I really want to do. Thanks :h:
You're right, stress (and any other negative emotions) prevent us from achieving our goals. Sorry to hear about your exam stress - I hope you're coping with it better now :smile:

I definitely am! Letting go of all of that was the best thing I’ve ever done. Now I’m just waiting for my results! I’m hoping to do veterinary so there was a lot of pressure wit eh application process.
Original post by flamingolover
I definitely am! Letting go of all of that was the best thing I’ve ever done. Now I’m just waiting for my results! I’m hoping to do veterinary so there was a lot of pressure wit eh application process.

Glad to hear it! Wishing you the best with your results :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest