The Student Room Group

Opinion on campus VS non campus universities

Of course everyone has vastly differing opinions and what appeals to one may not appeal to another but I’m just wondering from your experience at either a campus or non campus uni have you enjoyed the experience? Do you wish you’d looked at the other option or does it make very little difference to your university experience? Just wondering as a prospective student:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by anaindiemood
Of course everyone has vastly differing opinions and what appeals to one may not appeal to another but I’m just just wondering from your experience at either a campus or non campus uni have you enjoyed the experience? Do you wish you’d looked at the other option or does it make very little difference to your university experience? Just wondering as a prospective student:smile:

Ive spent time in both.

Its not as big an impact as you'd imagine, when your in uni it makes very little difference, and none to your education.

Personally I do prefer the campus, but I think its because of the type of campus im in. The campus I experienced was huge and had lots of greenery, a lake and some lovely walks, I liked being in a city and everything it offered but the campus offered a small oasis when I just wanted a stroll around a scenic route.
I prefer the campus experience. The atmosphere is unrivalled and it actually feels like a uni. Warwick is a campus uni and going there beats going to non-campus unis by a mile tbh. It's a great change if scenery after living most of my life in a city.
Of course everyone has vastly differing opinions and what appeals to one may not appeal to another but I’m just wondering from your experience at either a campus or non campus uni have you enjoyed the experience? Do you wish you’d looked at the other option or does it make very little difference to your university experience? Just wondering as a prospective student:smile:

Hi @anaindiemood,

Reading Uni is a lovely campus uni and personally I love the closeness of everything. Moving between lectures and to the library etc is a breeze. But also you get the perks etc of the scenery. Our campus is award-winning and taking a walk around when you need a break from work is really lovely. 😊

From,

Amina - Student Rep
Hi @anaindiemood
I’m a student at Lancaster university and I love the campus lifestyle. The campus is quite large itself but it’s all in one place compared to city unis I’ve visited which were quite spread out. I love how it’s literally got everything I need in the campus from food places like restaurants and cafes/ takeaways, bars, the library, hairdressers, parks, sports centre, banks, shops, etc all in one place and it’s much easier to nip to get something if I need. I loved living on campus it’s like it’s own little world and so easy to access everything and it had everything I need to live there. Although you can go and explore the town too as the uni has an underpass where buses go to loads of places from.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask
Lancaster Uni student ambassador Holly

Hi @anaindiemood,

For myself its very similar to what @UniofReading and @Lancaster Student Ambassador have said! I loved studying at a campus based university as it felt like that part of the city (and the surrounding areas) belonged to the student community! This meant that getting to lectures never took much time and all of my friends were concentrated within one area! The on campus accommodation meant it was (almost) possible to roll out of bed and into a lecture. Also all of the bars/shops/cafes within this area of the city had student friendly prices and deals which I think was another added benefit!

Millie
Student Rep
Reply 6
I go to a campus-city uni (literally in the city centre) and it was right choice for me as it gets the best of both worlds, with everything being at my doorstep (quite literally in first year where I could wake up at 8:50 and still get to uni early for a 9am), then after Uni I could go into the city which is 5-10 min away. I liked this as I was going from a city to another city and wanted convenience over prettiness, plus having all the restaurants and bars on campus just didn't feel right as it's meant to be a break from Uni not just spending all your time there(but that's just my opinion), plus I wanted easy access to transport links as I am 400 miles from home and didn't want to travel anymore than I needed to travel back.

So I like campus based ones but specifically ones based in cities, not ones based in small towns without much of a life outside of the uni walls.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @anaindiemood
I’m a student at Lancaster university and I love the campus lifestyle. The campus is quite large itself but it’s all in one place compared to city unis I’ve visited which were quite spread out. I love how it’s literally got everything I need in the campus from food places like restaurants and cafes/ takeaways, bars, the library, hairdressers, parks, sports centre, banks, shops, etc all in one place and it’s much easier to nip to get something if I need. I loved living on campus it’s like it’s own little world and so easy to access everything and it had everything I need to live there. Although you can go and explore the town too as the uni has an underpass where buses go to loads of places from.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask
Lancaster Uni student ambassador Holly

Thanks Holly! I’m really interested in applying to Lancaster! I was just wondering does the SU hold good events for nights out or do a lot of students go into town for this? And also how long does it take on the bus to get to Lancaster centre?

Thank you!:smile:
Hi @anaindiemood
Sorry for late reply I didn’t see this ! I’m glad your interested in Lancaster ! So there’s a few clubs in Lancaster that people tend to go to but mainly the one that most people go to is the student union ran club- the sugar house. Just students and their guests are allowed and everyone tends to go there so it’s good fun. The university puts free buses to the nightclub and back to university as well which is very handy so you don’t have to stress about taxis! And in terms of buses it kinds of depends on which bus you can get because there are a few running from out underpass. But the quickest one is the 1A because it’s more direct and a journey on here can take between 15-25 minutes ifyour getting off at marketgate gate. You can also stay on it a few more minutes to go to the bus station. It depends on traffic and things like that but it’s usually around this time but I’ve never timed it exactly but 1A is the more direct bus so I would recommend that one for city centre. You can read more about the bus system here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/bus-travel/
Lancaster Uni Student ambassador Holly

Some of the best unis are campus - Warwick, Loughborough, Lancaster to name a few. However, my main concern is the thought of spending 3 years on campus seems a bit restricted. Same bars, same people, same places to hang out would mean I would feel stifled. I did my UG at Liverpool and am doing my PhD at Strathclyde. Both Liverpool and Glasgow are really fun cities so I would recommend against campus unis.

Hi @anaindiemood

I go to a non-campus uni, despite this I feel like everything is super close by, I never have to walk more then 5 minutes to get to my next lecture or seminar. However, if I get bored of eating or staying in uni, I have the option of going to the city centre or eating out next to my campus.

Zaira 😊
Hi @anaindiemood,

Great thread and an interesting topic!

I am a student rep from the University of Lincoln and I have to say here at Lincoln we have the best of both worlds! Lincoln is technically a campus University and everything is really close, it is easy to walk between lectures, access the library etc. However, we also benefit from being just a 5-10 minute walk from the city centre. This was perfect for me as it saves money and time on public transport and means that you can have everything right on your doorstep. I think the issue with a lot of other campus based universities is that you have to get a bus or some form of transport in order to access the city centre and the issue with most city based universities are that they can be so spread out. So I really felt I was very lucky at Lincoln to be within walking distance to both all the facilities on campus and everything available in town.

Jack :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending