The Student Room Group

A level programming project

Would soduku be a suitable game to make for the NEA project (OCR board) ?

Scroll to see replies

No it is not original and easy to program
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
No it is not original and easy to program

Chess?
Original post by ninja24
Chess?

Same problem, it has to be original
Same problem, it has to be original

What if it was one of those games but I added different aspects to make it different
Original post by ninja24
What if it was one of those games but I added different aspects to make it different

Potentially but you probably won't get a good mark. Unless you can think of something very unique to add to these games
Reply 6
Potentially but you probably won't get a good mark. Unless you can think of something very unique to add to these games

Originality isnt the only factor?
Original post by certman

No, but it is hard to prove you didn't copy it from somewhere, so the exam boards won't like it
Original post by certman

That's what I was thinking. I thought if it was programmed well, and my project analysis was good. I may get a good mark ?
No, but it is hard to prove you didn't copy it from somewhere, so the exam boards won't like it

I'm doing it in a different language to python.. so I might have an advantage I'm guessing?

surely there are better ways to deduce that such as inconsistencies in programming practice
Original post by ninja24
I'm doing it in a different language to python.. so I might have an advantage I'm guessing?

Python is not a commonly used language for creating programs in the real world, so I'm not sure what you mean by an advantage?
Original post by certman
surely there are better ways to deduce that such as inconsistencies in programming practice

Sure there are ways around it, but there is no reason to not be original when there is a risk if losing marks. Thinking of an original idea is not difficult at all
Python is not a commonly used language for creating programs in the real world, so I'm not sure what you mean by an advantage?

It's one of the most common used languages in the nea project though.

what?? python is used in some shape or form by most major tech companies, and has a huge userbase

what would you consider the most common languages
Original post by certman
what?? python is used in some shape or form by most major tech companies

what would you consider the most common languages

It is not the primary language used by those companies, but that's besides the point. I believe the op was saying that they are less likely to get called up on for plagiarism as they are using python. However, most programs aren't written in python, and so this isn't true. Most common languages for these kinds of games will be Web based so java or java script. Bigger games will likely use c family
Original post by ninja24
It's one of the most common used languages in the nea project though.

They won't think you are ripping off someone's nea unless they are doing the same project. I mean copying someone's code online
It is not the primary language used by those companies, but that's besides the point. I believe the op was saying that they are less likely to get called up on for plagiarism as they are using python. However, most programs aren't written in python, and so this isn't true. Most common languages for these kinds of games will be Web based so java or java script. Bigger games will likely use c family

are you an examiner or teacher
Original post by certman
are you an examiner or teacher

No, why?
They won't think you are ripping off someone's nea unless they are doing the same project. I mean copying someone's code online

Oh I see. That makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest