The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How is the experience at Durham University?

I have just finished my last year of secondary school and I have been putting quite a bit of thought it my next steps after Sixth Form. I want to pursue Geography in the future and Durham is very high up on league tables. I obviously know that I need to visit the school and specifically find the course I want to do as I am interested in perhaps doing a joint honours course with Geography. I predict that I my grades for my GCSEs are 7 or above, with a couple of 9’s and a few 8’s and for my A-Level subjects I am set to do Geography, Economics and Politics with an EPQ too. But I just wanted to know how the experience is.

Thanks
The experience of geography as a course or Durham as a whole?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

Hiya :wavey:
Durham maths student here, so I can't tell you much about geography unfortunately, but I can tell you about Durham :smile:
Is there anything specific you want to know about?
Durham is different to most UK unis in that you are allocated a college. You usually live in the college for at least the first year of your course and your college will have a bar, tonnes of societies you can join, a gym and more, plus will run loads of events etc. throughout the year. This gives you some really great social opportunities and also an extra support network (if you have any problems then you tend to go through college first then to uni wide stuff) which is a great bonus compared to many unis.
The city of Durham isn't massive, which is good since it means you can walk pretty much anywhere within 45 minutes, and most places will be nearer than that too :smile:
In terms of geography, if you're looking at joint honours degrees you'll likely be looking at either "combined honours in social sciences" or "liberal arts", both of which offer geography as one of your choices within that degree choice, social sciences I think would be more keen on having geography as your main subject though :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
Hiya :wavey:
Durham maths student here, so I can't tell you much about geography unfortunately, but I can tell you about Durham :smile:
Is there anything specific you want to know about?
Durham is different to most UK unis in that you are allocated a college. You usually live in the college for at least the first year of your course and your college will have a bar, tonnes of societies you can join, a gym and more, plus will run loads of events etc. throughout the year. This gives you some really great social opportunities and also an extra support network (if you have any problems then you tend to go through college first then to uni wide stuff) which is a great bonus compared to many unis.
The city of Durham isn't massive, which is good since it means you can walk pretty much anywhere within 45 minutes, and most places will be nearer than that too :smile:
In terms of geography, if you're looking at joint honours degrees you'll likely be looking at either "combined honours in social sciences" or "liberal arts", both of which offer geography as one of your choices within that degree choice, social sciences I think would be more keen on having geography as your main subject though :yep:

I was going to tag you :biggrin: you're so fast. OP you could try: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/postoffer/book/virtualvisit/unibuddy/ for geography course itself as well :h:
Original post by PetitePanda
I was going to tag you :biggrin: you're so fast. OP you could try: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/postoffer/book/virtualvisit/unibuddy/ for geography course itself as well :h:

Haha, I actually already had this thread on my list to reply to this evening! I've done the other one you tagged me in though :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you guys, I had a question about the entertainment aspect of Durham as I’m aware that the academic side is brilliant, but I’ve heard that Durham’s ‘nightlife’ isn’t so great in comparison to other Uni’s (which I know isn’t a reason why I shouldn’t go but I’d just like to know)

Quick Reply

Latest