The Student Room Group

University of Aberdeen Vs University of Chester

Please, I need your inputs with regards to easy settling / accommodation, networking and student jobs, low cost of living and quality of education.

I am a MSc Candidate for cardiovascular science and diabetes at Aberdeen or cardiovascular diseases at Chester. Which should I go for as an international student?

Thank you
If you go to Aberdeen, be aware that Scottish degrees are 4 years, unlike English ones which tend to be only 3 years
Also, do you like being separated from the rest of civilisation outside the city? Aberdeen is quite far from Edinburgh and Glasgow, whereas Chester is close to Liverpool and Manchester
Although this information is very low quality, I hope it helps :smile:)
Original post by Laurence010401
If you go to Aberdeen, be aware that Scottish degrees are 4 years, unlike English ones which tend to be only 3 years
Also, do you like being separated from the rest of civilisation outside the city? Aberdeen is quite far from Edinburgh and Glasgow, whereas Chester is close to Liverpool and Manchester

for undergraduate degrees that is true , 4 years in Scotland vs 3 years rest of UK but I'm pretty sure Masters are one year at both locations in the UK
Actually I should ask
OP, have the universities said how long their degree is?
Reply 4

Thank you immensely, but should one be worried about the rankings?
Reply 5
Actually I should ask
OP, have the universities said how long their degree is?

Both are 1 year programs. Thank you immensely.
but should one be worried about the rankings?
Original post by Vichie
Thank you immensely, but should one be worried about the rankings?

Original post by Vichie
Both are 1 year programs. Thank you immensely.
but should one be worried about the rankings?

My perception is that Aberdeen university ranks higher
But please be aware that’s solely based on the undergraduate courses I was interested in at those universities - Aberdeen had an entry requirement a grade or 2 higher than Chester
just my knowledge on Scottish cities :
Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews are considered expensive to live in whereas Aberdeen, Dundee are more affordable to live in compared to Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews
Original post by stereotypeasian
just my knowledge on Scottish cities :
Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews are considered expensive to live in whereas Aberdeen, Dundee are more affordable to live in compared to Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews

I can corroborate
I went to Edinburgh and it was very expensive
Edit: i Mean I just visited the university 😂 I’m not an Edinburgh graduate lmao, wanted to clarify that before I got misconstrued
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
My perception is that Aberdeen university ranks higher
But please be aware that’s solely based on the undergraduate courses I was interested in at those universities - Aberdeen had an entry requirement a grade or 2 higher than Chester

I already have offers from both, I need to take a decision (choose one) so I can process my papers; bearing in mind, factors like low cost of living, accommodation, availablity of part-time jobs, networking and quality of education.
Thank you

An MSc is only a year long.

Uh, Aberdeen is a major city in Scotland and the university is located in the heart of the city. Not sure why there'd be a question of being far from civilisation... :lol: Pretty sure there's civilisation anywhere and everywhere unless OP decided to do their Master's degree in an unexplored part of Africa... :tongue:

Original post by Vichie
Please, I need your inputs with regards to easy settling / accommodation, networking and student jobs, low cost of living and quality of education.

I am a MSc Candidate for cardiovascular science and diabetes at Aberdeen or cardiovascular diseases at Chester. Which should I go for as an international student?

Thank you

Well, Aberdeen is the more reputable university. The University of Chester is relatively new (was a college of further education until recently). Have a look at the Guardian good university guide; Aberdeen is ranked 34 and Chester is ranked 82.

However, Chester is more geographically centred in the UK and is a lovely city. Aberdeen is known as the grey city and it can be pretty bleak there in the winter months. Aberdeen has a more international student set - 67% from the UK, 20% from Europe and 13% from the rest of the world. Chester has a predominantly UK student group - 94% from the UK. Thus, as an international student, you may struggle to settle in Chester.
Original post by Quick-use

An MSc is only a year long.

Uh, Aberdeen is a major city in Scotland and the university is located in the heart of the city. Not sure why there'd be a question of being far from civilisation... :lol: Pretty sure there's civilisation anywhere and everywhere unless OP decided to do their Master's degree in an unexplored part of Africa... :tongue:

I meant like the rest of the country / larger cities
Yes, Aberdeen is a nice city with a lot to offer. But it is quite separate from the rest of the uk
I meant like the rest of the country / larger cities
Yes, Aberdeen is a nice city with a lot to offer. But it is quite separate from the rest of the uk

Rest of the UK? You mean England or? Sure, it's far from London but Aberdeen's a big city in itself with a lot going on. It's also only 2 hours from Edinburgh by train which isn't that much.

Not sure why you're saying Aberdeen's so isolated from civilisation when it isn't... :tongue:
Original post by Quick-use
Rest of the UK? You mean England or? Sure, it's far from London but Aberdeen's a big city in itself with a lot going on. It's also only 2 hours from Edinburgh by train which isn't that much.

Not sure why you're saying Aberdeen's so isolated from civilisation when it isn't... :tongue:

Well it seems like it is

OP, I recommend having a look at google maps, then you’ll be able to decide for yourself 😂
Reply 15
Original post by mike23mike
Well, Aberdeen is the more reputable university. The University of Chester is relatively new (was a college of further education until recently). Have a look at the Guardian good university guide; Aberdeen is ranked 34 and Chester is ranked 82.

However, Chester is more geographically centred in the UK and is a lovely city. Aberdeen is known as the grey city and it can be pretty bleak there in the winter months. Aberdeen has a more international student set - 67% from the UK, 20% from Europe and 13% from the rest of the world. Chester has a predominantly UK student group - 94% from the UK. Thus, as an international student, you may struggle to settle in Chester.

Thank you immensely
Any added advantage due to the oil and gas industry in Aberdeen?
Reply 16
Original post by Vichie

Thank you

I'm exactly in the same situation and I appreciated the answers.
Hello,

Unite Students have 8 student properties in Aberdeen.

We have rooms available from £78 per week including all bills.
No Deposit and pay nothing until you move in.
We offer flexible tenancies to accommodate different lengths of stay to suit you.

Our properties are conveniently located in close proximity to the University.
Our properties are highly rated on student accommodation review websites.

If you would like us to send you our property video tours or further information about our properties and pricing please drop us a message anytime.

Our team are available 24/7 and are more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Your Unite Students Aberdeen Team
Reply 18
I'll be interested, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending