The Student Room Group

Would you support a 4-day working week in the UK?

Poll

Would you support a 4-day working week in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

What is the point of advancing society, and labour saving if we cannot reap its benefits as a society?

Many people could probably get in everything they needed to working mon-thurs, without sacrificing overall productivity. I don't think this can be a government mandated thing though. It will need a culture overhaul in businesses to allow it to happen. Employers would need to stop tying productivity to hours worked, and instead tie it to tasks completed. I also don't think it should be a singular weekend day, either. I think it would be an extra day employees could take when they liked.
Original post by vicvic38
What is the point of advancing society, and labour saving if we cannot reap its benefits as a society?

Many people could probably get in everything they needed to working mon-thurs, without sacrificing overall productivity. I don't think this can be a government mandated thing though. It will need a culture overhaul in businesses to allow it to happen. Employers would need to stop tying productivity to hours worked, and instead tie it to tasks completed. I also don't think it should be a singular weekend day, either. I think it would be an extra day employees could take when they liked.

agreed. culture needs changing (particularlyl in healthcare). I know some hospitals have already switched people to 4 days a week and staff have benefited from it (sure it means working 1.5-2 extra hours a day if fulltime, but they have found better work-life balance, less stress, more energised). I think within healthcare, they should try adopting a GP practice approach where hey work in a morning block and an afternoon block, with the practice shut for x hours to do admin and house calls.
Whilst hospitals tend to be similar, the worst offender (by far) is community pharmacy. there have been days where I have gone 8-14 hours without a break and know people who regularly work 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week across multiple sites with no breaks or a half an hour break. at least with gp practices, it's more structured + dont have to worry about going to the toilet for fear of more unexpected patients needing help, people demanding medication and even losing pay if they pop to the loo.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vicvic38

I completely agree. It feels to me as though the 5-day week is the norm, so companies follow that model because that is the way it has been for so long. They haven’t thought about whether there is a better way of improving productivity without working for longer hours.
Absolutely. If the lockdown has taught us anything, it's that the Monday - Friday work week is redundant. A lot of people, particularly those working in offices, can complete their work in less time than is 'required' from them.
Not in the way they’re suggesting.

I like the idea of using a 40 hour a week contact as 4x10hrs rather than 5x8hrs. Some weeks I did that before lockdown anyway. :smile:

A 30 hour working week, however, is a dreadful idea no doubt suggested by people who sit in an office coming up with ideas and don’t work in the real world.
Yes, I would rather work fewer days with longer hours rather than having to go to work 5/6 days per week.
No would be a death knell for an already reeling economy from coronavirus and the risks of the post-Brexit reality
I support this and the need not to travel to an office for those who have office based jobs, at least not every day each week, makes it easier for some people.
Original post by quasa
agreed. culture needs changing (particularlyl in healthcare). I know some hospitals have already switched people to 4 days a week and staff have benefited from it (sure it means working 1.5-2 extra hours a day if fulltime, but they have found better work-life balance, less stress, more energised). I think within healthcare, they should try adopting a GP practice approach where hey work in a morning block and an afternoon block, with the practice shut for x hours.
Whilst hospitals tend to be similar, the worst offender (by far) is community pharmacy. there have been days where I have gone 8-14 hours without a break and know people who regularly work 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week across multiple sites with no breaks or a half an hour break. at least wiith GP surgeries, even if you do work that many hours, you get a 2 hour break + dont have to worry about going to the toilet for fear of more unexpected patients needing help, people demanding medication and even losing pay if they pop to the loo.

There is still work going on while the practice is shut. That's when admin, staff meetings, home visits etc occur. It's not a two hour "break".

Anyway, yes to the actual thread question.
No.
No. I recon I’d be bored on 3 day weekend.
Sure I guess. Doesn't really make much difference to me since I'm doing 50+ hours most weeks I'm at work anyway. Much prefer doing 50 hour weeks for so long then getting a few weeks off, fully paid while not even using up any of my holidays.
Yes 👍 👍.
No. Doubt this will ever happen in the hospitality industry (especially considering most want to reopen after lockdown). Also farmers as well. I suppose it could work for some individuals though.
so what about schools? are they monday-thursday as well? what about all the people that work with schools? are they monday-thursday?
i dont see why decreasing work output by 20% is going to be productive, especially since the economy has already shrunk by 20%
Nope

Would the new weekend be saturday-monday or Friday-Sunday?
Original post by Democracy
There is still work going on while the practice is shut. That's when admin, staff meetings, home visits etc occur. It's not a two hour "break".

Anyway, yes to the actual thread question.

forgot about home visits and admin ;p. i know from experience working in hospitals, team / ward meetings tends to be before rounds or half an hour to an hour before shift is due to start.
Yep. I've considered going to 'compressed hours' at work and doing my contracted amount in 4 days as opposed to 5.
Original post by Drewski
Yep. I've considered going to 'compressed hours' at work and doing my contracted amount in 4 days as opposed to 5.

It’s well worth doing if you’re able to :smile:

I managed to fit it into my schedule during busy times of the year and I’ve definitely felt better stress wise in weeks where I’m doing 4 days rather than 5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending