The Student Room Group

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

Poll

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

So loads of you are now thinking about looking at uni for 2021 entry, and starting to research unis and courses to find the one that's right for you. How are you finding the experience?

Are virtual open days helpful? Have you attended many, or are you going to wait and see if you can attend anything in September/October?

What do you think of them?

There has been some talk of running socially distanced options for students to come and visit universities - is this something you would do?

Let us know your thoughts below!
Personally I'd rather have a socially distanced option to visit than a digital one, because I think it would give me more of a feel for the place (and if courses are going to be taught face-to-face in 2021, that's really key.)
virtual tours dont really help at all in imo, sure they give us a feel for the uni/lectures, but i wanna know more about the place im going to be living in for the next 3/4 years. like what if i get there next october and i realise its not for me, bit screwed then arent i
I am currently in Year 12 looking to study civil engineering.

I went on 2 open days last year (Bristol and Birmingham) and one mini open day (Nottingham) - and looking back now I am so glad I did! At the time I went because I wanted to get a feel for what uni is like and help narrow down what I want to study.

I think virtual open days have their pros and cons (I have been to 2 so far). I would say the main pro is that it gives you the general gist of what the uni is like without having to travel to the other side of the country to visit it - which takes a lot of time and can be expensive. I have also found it easier to ask questions as I find it less embarrassing when I dont have to speak to students/lectures face to face - however this can also be a con as they sometimes dont answer the question you tried to ask because typing a question is harder than speaking it.... The main con I would say is not getting a 'feel' for the campus - I first fell in love with Birmingham and Nottingham when I visited their campus', and for me how I 'feel' at the uni is a big factor as I am going to spend 3+ years of my life there.

My main tip for any year 12s (or this would be a great chance for year 11s to have a look t courses they might be interested in! :smile:) Is to use these virtual open days to find out about the course (does it suit your taste), do they offer a year in industry, accomodation - basically find out thee basics about everything you want out of uni. Then use this information to narrow down your choices (to 5 or 6 if you can) and then (hopefully) you can go to those unis in September/October to find out if the physical 'atmosphere' of the uni suits you and you can find out more general info, hopefully enabling you to make your decision about where you want to apply. :smile:

I agree it's not an ideal situation and I had planned to visit quite a few unis myself but unis are putting a lot of effort into open days and some of them are very good - all from the comfort of your sofa (and no fears of bumping into people you dont want to see!) :hide:
Reply 4
Original post by Turtle01
Personally I'd rather have a socially distanced option to visit than a digital one, because I think it would give me more of a feel for the place (and if courses are going to be taught face-to-face in 2021, that's really key.)

I think some unis are planning for socially distanced visiting options. I'm pretty sure Royal Holloway is currently (touch wood) planning a visit week in July, which is going to be a quieter, distanced Open Day spread across a full week to keep numbers down -- fingers crossed other unis do the same. <3
Original post by StrawberryDreams
So loads of you are now thinking about looking at uni for 2021 entry, and starting to research unis and courses to find the one that's right for you. How are you finding the experience?

Are virtual open days helpful? Have you attended many, or are you going to wait and see if you can attend anything in September/October?

What do you think of them?

There has been some talk of running socially distanced options for students to come and visit universities - is this something you would do?

Let us know your thoughts below!

I find virtual open days helpful, it's just that I prefer to walk around the campus, take in everything. Envision me being a student and trying to decide.
I might not be able to attend anything cause I may not be in the UK (I pray I am). The virtual open days seem nice but I kind of want more. I would definitely do something like that.
I've found virtual open days really useful to find out more about the structure/content of the course, but most have them have had very little information about the campus/teaching facilities. I'm looking at studying physiotherapy and so the setting can play a big part of the practice - it would be great if there were photos of the teaching facilities and clinical skills labs etc on the websites. Hoping there'll be an opportunity to visit the uni's I'm interested in before making my choices.
I don't think the virtual open days tell you much that you couldn't find out on their website normally, apart from the option to ask questions to current students. I've been to two so far (Loughborough yesterday which was quite well put together, and Bristol today which is mostly just a collection of videos). But I don't think there is a viable alternative at the moment so I'm okay with what we're being given :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending