The Student Room Group

EU Students no longer eligible for home fee status from 2021/22

Poll

EU students - would you pay the new higher fees to study in the UK from 2021?

Today, Universities Minister Michelle Donelan put out a written statement on Parliaments website confirming that due to the decision to leave the EU, all EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, including undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support. This will begin for courses starting in academic year 2021/22.

EDIT: This announcement also only covers universities in England currently Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not yet confirmed whether EU students will be facing higher fees next year.

This will also apply to Further Education funding for those aged 19+, and funding for apprenticeships.

https://www.parliament.uk/writtenstatements

Are you an EU national who was planning on attending uni next year? What are your thoughts on the announcement? Do you still want to come to uni in the UK even if you have to pay higher fees?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am so confused with this news, I am a home student coming from the EU country. Will these new regulations apply to me, as well?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Beuty
I am so confused with this news, I am a home student coming from the EU country. Will these new regulations apply to me, as well?

This will depend on specific details of where you've been living and for how long - probably worth asking on Ask student finance and see if they've been able to make any sense of it yet.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah, you are right, they had all the evidences. I am a resident from about 8 years already
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Today, Universities Minister Michelle Donelan put out a written statement on Parliaments website confirming that due to the decision to leave the EU, all EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, including undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support. This will begin for courses starting in academic year 2021/22.

This will also apply to Further Education funding for those aged 19+, and funding for apprenticeships.

Are you an EU national who was planning on attending uni next year? What are your thoughts on the announcement? Do you still want to come to uni in the UK even if you have to pay higher fees?

Hasnt this always been the case with the proviso , unless they agree otherwise. Its not really news and what has been the situation for a few years.
Original post by Beuty

Just ignore this if you have been living in the UK for the last 8 years as you say then you can just apply as a home student.
Original post by Beuty
Yeah, you are right, they had all the evidences. I am a resident from about 8 years already

If you're resident in the UK, then I don't think it will apply, but it's worth checking- bear in mind this will only be for new starters in 2021.
Original post by 999tigger
Hasnt this always been the case with the proviso , unless they agree otherwise. Its not really news and what has been the situation for a few years.

There was a hope from the sector and some areas of government that they would extend things for another year (especially with covid meaning some courses and students were delayed until after the 1 January)
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Just ignore this if you have been living in the UK for the last 8 years as you say then you can just apply as a home student.

Thank you for your kind comments.Yes, I should ignore this.
Reply 9
If you start your study this year (Including Foundation Years) your whole course will be covered.
Original post by Beuty

I live in the UK for about 13 years now. It's not so easy to prove that you have been legally :biggrin: Having 3 or P60s will do it but without them it can be pain.
Original post by PQ
There was a hope from the sector and some areas of government that they would extend things for another year (especially with covid meaning some courses and students were delayed until after the 1 January)

Hello.

When i've answered i've always said assume it ends now, unless they agree otherwise and that negotiations werent going well. Point is theres a lot of posturing going on. Not that my opinion matters, but I thought it safer to assume what we know for certain at the moment. Also doesnt rule out the chance of reaching agreement in future. 2021 seems a long way away.
Original post by Beuty

Just to clarify I meant ignore, not because it is incorrect, just that it doesnt apply to your situation and theres nothing in it for you to be confused or worried about. Your situation hasnt changed.
As a EU student who just finished the first year in UK, I'm guessing this will not affect me at all right?
Will this be the case for continuing students?
Original post by dona6842
As a EU student who just finished the first year in UK, I'm guessing this will not affect me at all right?

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Will this be the case for continuing students?

Yeah it's only going to affect new starters from 2021.
Original post by StrawberryDreams

This is one of the reasons I'm definitely coming this year.
There is no way I can afford to pay international fees.
I am one of the students who wanted to study in UK next year... Or specifically in Scotland. I think they didn't release statement yet, but i think now it is just a formality... I was anticipating this, but there was always this little piece of hope... I will have to unfollow all the universities on fb and instagram, that is gonna hurt :bawling:. But i understand. However my understanding doesn't change the fact that my dreams which i had since i was 14/15 were crushed today... The reason why i started to try and actually learn at school, the reason why i started to be curious about world, about learning... The dream which actually started a huge changes in my life. There is no way i am going to pay international fees. I don't want the strain to fall onto my parents shoulders. They deserve to use the money for their pleasure while they are still healthy enough to enjoy the things they love. I know that they can do that even when they are old, but not to the same extent as now. Also, i have two siblings and we are all starting university within 4 years window. They want to stay in our country, but i just don't want to be the one who constantly takes huge amount of money from my parents... In my head, i just can't justify studying somewhere for so much money when my parents are probably going to be paying for that and when there is much cheaper reasonable option available. Sure, i will pick up part time job at uni and full time job during holidays, but that is just not enough.

I had Ireland as my backup, but they base their admissions purely on final high school exam, and the marks given out in my country are highly unpredictable, since they are mostly oral exams and the examiners are our teachers... So if you got teacher who doesn't like you? Too bad... And i would have to do exam from 5 subjects instead of 4.
But i think this can really boost Irelands universities... It is the cheapest and nearest English speaking country for people from EU, lots of people will redirect from UK to Ireland...
But anyway, thankfully i found another backup plan, since the one with Ireland would put me under enormous stress (i think too much for me to cope with). My eyes are set on Netherlands. Unfortunately it is not an English speaking country, but apparently there is lot of societies run in English and i wanted to learn another language anyway, so hopefully my social life will be ok... If there is somebody in the same situation, check netherlands out. They have insane amount of english bachelors degrees. It is the only non-english speaking country in EU where they teach my degree in English (that i found). They also rank high on international rankings.

I am just so sad and kind of disappointed now. I mean i expected it, but at the same time i was still hoping that something would happen. I think a small part of me still hopes something will happen. It will take me a bit of time to come to terms with it. I understand on intellectual level. I understand why it had to be done and that it would be discrimination otherwise, but on emotional level i just want to cry. Because even though i was mostly expecting this to happen, it is suddenly real and the little flame of hope just got stomped over and i am just SAD and angry at myself because i expected it but i wasn't able to come to terms with it and i wasn't able to kill the little flame of hope myself before this happened. I was just so fixated for a long time and it is so hard to detache myself even though i aready found other options. I am sorry for ranting, i think i will just go to cry a river onto my pillow right now. Thanks for making this thread and sorry for such a long and depressing and useless post but i just needed to unload everything.
Lol this thread appears as 'EU students to be pay higher uni fees' on the frontpage of TSR.
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
I am one of the students who wanted to study in UK next year... Or specifically in Scotland. I think they didn't release statement yet, but i think now it is just a formality...

I think that Scotland didn't change the fees... I'm not sure tho, that's just what I've heard from like an organisation helping students in my country get into UK unis, I don't know how official it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending