The Student Room Group

A level combination

I'm most likely gonna take Spanish, psychology and geography next year for my a levels. Is this a good combo and will there be too many case studies between geo and psych? Can anyone tell me how they found these subjects too?
Hey.
I took geography and psychology. I would say that I didn't really notice the case study side of things because the case studies are so completely different for the two. Also, with psychology, the case studies are taught as the content rather than the extra like you get in geography so really there is very little extra case studies you need to know for psychology unless your teachers go out of the way to give you extra which really isn't needed. psychology is really a subject where everything you need to know is in the textbook.
They sound like fun A-levels.

A TSR ‘explorer’ website shows many possible future paths:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/geography/psychology/spanish?o=210#result-section-2
Reply 3
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hey.
I took geography and psychology. I would say that I didn't really notice the case study side of things because the case studies are so completely different for the two. Also, with psychology, the case studies are taught as the content rather than the extra like you get in geography so really there is very little extra case studies you need to know for psychology unless your teachers go out of the way to give you extra which really isn't needed. psychology is really a subject where everything you need to know is in the textbook.

Ah thank you that's reassuring! Did you enjoy the subjects and find them interesting?
Reply 4
Original post by LuigiMario
They sound like fun A-levels.

A TSR ‘explorer’ website shows many possible future paths:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/geography/psychology/spanish?o=210#result-section-2

Thank you! This is rlly useful :smile:
Original post by H4ttie03
Ah thank you that's reassuring! Did you enjoy the subjects and find them interesting?

I loved them both. I'm doing psychology at uni. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure that you keep up to date on your work as there is a lot of content for both. I was very lucky as I had done psychology at GCSE which no one else had done so I didn't have to work as hard to keep up with content as I had already covered a lot previously. With geography you'll find that you will be able to turn one case study and use it for multiple topics such as Japan with its volcanoes and tsumanis for tectonic hazards but also for coastal management and globalisation.
Reply 6
I loved them both. I'm doing psychology at uni. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure that you keep up to date on your work as there is a lot of content for both. I was very lucky as I had done psychology at GCSE which no one else had done so I didn't have to work as hard to keep up with content as I had already covered a lot previously. With geography you'll find that you will be able to turn one case study and use it for multiple topics such as Japan with its volcanoes and tsumanis for tectonic hazards but also for coastal management and globalisation.

Thank you so much! I definitely plan on revising as I go a long and keeping on top of my work and that sounds rlly useful in geography. I hope your degree is going well!
Hey.

Was there a lot of coursework for geography?
Original post by AK1606
Was there a lot of coursework for geography?

just one piece for edexcel but it can take a while. Mine took around 72hours altogether and ended up around 12,000 words and 28 odd pages. My spread sheet was 104 pages. My teacher loved me :colondollar: I was the anomaly though, most people in my class did around 3,000 words and 10 pages. coursework is how much time and effort you put into it. I got an A* for mine and was 1 mark off full marks.
just one piece for edexcel but it can take a while. Mine took around 72hours altogether and ended up around 12,000 words and 28 odd pages. My spread sheet was 104 pages. My teacher loved me :colondollar: I was the anomaly though, most people in my class did around 3,000 words and 10 pages. coursework is how much time and effort you put into it. I got an A* for mine and was 1 mark off full marks.

Wow that's amazing! What does the coursework have to be about?
I'm most likely gonna take Spanish, psychology and geography next year for my a levels. Is this a good combo and will there be too many case studies between geo and psych? Can anyone tell me how they found these subjects too?

Psychology is alright. But there's a lot of content. Spanish is quite hard and geography is alright too
Original post by AK1606
Wow that's amazing! What does the coursework have to be about?

It has to be based on a topic in the course so mine was on regeneration of my town centre. I do know that some colleges tell you what your coursework has to be on though so I was quite lucky that my college let us choose what we did our coursework on
Reply 12
Original post by ninja24
Psychology is alright. But there's a lot of content. Spanish is quite hard and geography is alright too

I'm expecting a 9 in spanish and an 8 in geo and I havent done psychology, so do you think that'll be fine
I'm expecting a 9 in spanish and an 8 in geo and I havent done psychology, so do you think that'll be fine

what are you predicted in maths and biology?

Yes you'll be fine mate! Hope you do get those grades.
Reply 15
what are you predicted in maths and biology?

I'm expecting a 6 in maths and hopefully a 7 in biology
I'm expecting a 6 in maths and hopefully a 7 in biology

yeh, you'll be perfectly fine doing psychology. I really hope you enjoy the subject!
Reply 17
yeh, you'll be perfectly fine doing psychology. I really hope you enjoy the subject!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest