The Student Room Group

Labour wants 2021 GCSE and A-level exams to be delayed

Your thoughts? (I apologise if there's already a thread on this)
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/gcse-level-exams-set-delayed-18468162.amp

Makes me wonder why they couldn't have delayed and shortened this year's exams rather than cancelling them but oh well.

UPDATE labour wants next year's exams to be delayed:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-53966943
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm year 11 currently, so this probably won't affect me (will it affect AS exams?)..

But I do wonder how they're planning on having enough time to mark exams so they're in line with uni starting and other countries like Scotland and Wales if exams are done later..
as a year 12, having exams next year, its totally mad to delay them. we wont have alot of time even sorting uni stuff out, finance and loans. on top of that, not all studrnts studied over lockdown. a report came out that 1 in 5 students studied, this could mean most topics will have to either be covered from start to finish or just not covered. delaying them to july, is a piss take. in my opinion
Original post by viliamreis297
as a year 12, having exams next year, its totally mad to delay them. we wont have alot of time even sorting uni stuff out, finance and loans. on top of that, not all studrnts studied over lockdown. a report came out that 1 in 5 students studied, this could mean most topics will have to either be covered from start to finish or just not covered. delaying them to july, is a piss take. in my opinion

But surely it gives more time for that 80% (especially those living in England or Scotland) to go over "missed" content?
Original post by 1st superstar
But surely it gives more time for that 80% (especially those living in England or Scotland) to go over "missed" content?

maybe, but why cant they just shorten the exams, or remove at least one exam paper. would that not be easier?
maybe, but why cant they just shorten the exams, or remove at least one exam paper. would that not be easier?

Different schools teach content in different orders and if you live in Wales or N.I that would mean removing 1 entire module/unit!(But tbh I wish I could sit my exams in Wales or N.I). If they remove content they need to tell schools ASAP and exams sat in England need to be prioritised first.

But I agree if you live in England (whereby you are tested on several modules in a single paper/exams) there's no need make students sit 3 Maths papers, 4 English papers etc. Tbh I not bothered if there are no changes to next year's exams as long as they are not cancelled.

I don’t think they will do that as there is the added hassle of some people complaining that one chapter is more important than another.

E.G. If they removed electricity from the Physics A-Level content I would be more than happy but there is always someone who has a problem.

I wouldn’t mind exams being pushed back to September to be fair. Not because I haven’t been revising, but my teachers have been absolutely useless in lockdown and if it was up to me I would have them sacked.

OK that’s my rant done. Goodnight everyone :smile:
Labour says that the exams should be delayed. No way I don't want delayed exams!
Your thoughts? (I apologise if there's already a thread on this)
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/gcse-level-exams-set-delayed-18468162.amp

Makes me wonder why they couldn't have delayed and shortened this year's exams rather than cancelling them but oh well.

UPDATE labour wants next year's exams to be delayed:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-53966943

Tbh the only feasible directions the govt can go when it comes to next year’s exams is delaying them or cancelling them again. If there’s a second wave, cancelling them is a massive likelihood. If there isn’t, exams starting in June/July is a massive likelihood.
That’s my (simplified) opinion!
As a year 12 (well year 13 as of Thursday) I kinda want exams to be cancelled. On a personal level, it’ll be fantastic. But ofc I’m not wishing for a second wave in the slightest and I get that it’s an unpopular opinion but honestly....I’d be chill if exams didn’t go ahead :/
Original post by justjas33
Tbh the only feasible directions the govt can go when it comes to next year’s exams is delaying them or cancelling them again. If there’s a second wave, cancelling them is a massive likelihood. If there isn’t, exams starting in June/July is a massive likelihood.
As a year 12 (well year 13 as of Thursday) I kinda want exams to be cancelled. On a personal level, it’ll be fantastic. But ofc I’m not wishing for a second wave in the slightest and I get that it’s an unpopular opinion but honestly....I’d be chill if exams didn’t go ahead :/

totally agree with you, my mental health is so unstable and my anxiety is getting out of control i just wish i did not have to sit next year exams.
totally agree with you, my mental health is so unstable and my anxiety is getting out of control i just wish i did not have to sit next year exams.

literally same, I completely understand how you feel. No exams this year has been great in somewhat keeping the edge off, one less thing to struggle with! The thought of having to do them next year is really getting to me.

I just want to be done with sixth form ASAP. CBA to sit delayed exams.
I want to sit exams as I want a chance to 'prove myself'. I have struggled with school work throughout lockdown, like many others, but I just want to do alevel exams is some kind of form - although I would prefer if they weren't delayed...
I just want to be done with sixth form ASAP. CBA to sit delayed exams.

ah I feel you, just gimme the grades I want and shove me off and away to uni
ah I feel you, just gimme the grades I want and shove me off and away to uni

I don't care if my grades are good or bad but for now I don't want delayed exams.
I don't care if my grades are good or bad but for now I don't want delayed exams.

fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending